Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The AA (Legacy US Airways) Airbus Industrie A330-200

AA announced retirement of the A330-200 in the Oct 2020 earnings report.

Status of reconfiguration
N279AY - NEW
N280AY - NEW
N281AY - NEW
N282AY - NEW
N283AY - NEW
N284AY - NEW
N285AY - NEW
N286AY - NEW
N287AY - NEW
N288AY - NEW
N289AY - NEW
N290AY - NEW
N291AY - NEW
N292AY - NEW
N293AY - NEW
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: The 15 A330-200 (with Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines) are being retained and updated. (The nine Pratt & Whitney equipped A330-300s have been scheduled for retirement (return to lessor at lease end) by late 2018 due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link).) The A330-200s will continue, however, and the launch of the retrofitted A330-200 will see
  • 20 Zodiac "Envoy" type Business seats in a 1-2-1 layout (1 blocked for pilot rest)
  • 21 Premium Economy (B/E Aerospace) seats in a 2-3-2 layout
  • 50 Main Cabin Extra seats (same seats as Y, just greater seat pitch) 2-4-2 (2 blocked for customers requiring customer assistance)
  • Main Cabin / Economy seats also 2-4-2
  • Ku band satellite based Panasonic WiFi
  • Individual personal entertainment screens for every seat
  • Seat power
  • Noise reduction headsets - Bose in Business, others for Premium Economy

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra has been installed on the A330-200 fleet. Until 15 Jan 2018, PE seats were available to Elites as MCE on those aircraft with PE; PE are available for sale on that date.

Link to A330-200 PE and MCE additions article on The Points Guy

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

Link to (non-AA) American Fleet Site, A330-200 page.

For the specific thread about the Zodiac "Envoy" Business seat, please see AA A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330: A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-200

Envoy / Business (20):
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites", all aisle access
* Seats A and H have windows and angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Bose noise reduction headsets on long-haul International flights
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Premium Economy (21):
* Rows 6, 7 and 8 in 2-3-2 layout
* Seat pitch 38"
* Seat width 18.5"
* Non-Bose noise reduction headsets on longhaul
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Main Cabin Extra (54):
* Bulkhead and Exit seats
* Others seem to be in non-standard layout
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

Economy (152):
* Seat pitch 31-32"
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Exits at row 23
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300: A333 in New Livery

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Airbus A330-200 / 332 [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Okay - have to change my flight from PHL to MCO

Options are the A330 or A321

Which is better in first? - I am assuming the A330 as it seems better seats?

Although it doesn't have Wifi - not a major issue.

Flying over from Dublin on the A330 anyway, so any reason to opt for the A321?
By far the A330. It has lie-flat seats. It is one of the best international business class seats out there, so take advantage of it.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Okay - have to change my flight from PHL to MCO

Options are the A330 or A321

Which is better in first? - I am assuming the A330 as it seems better seats?

Although it doesn't have Wifi - not a major issue.

Flying over from Dublin on the A330 anyway, so any reason to opt for the A321?
A330 by far.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:09 am

Do the USB outlets in Y on the A330-200 have enough juice to charge an iphone or Galaxy S5?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Any thoughts on seats 23C/D/E/F? 7G/H are taken, so it was 23C/D or two random seats on the side... I picked 23C/D, but if I've just shot myself in the foot please warn me so I can fix it before my departure date comes.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I have flown a lot in the back of these planes and no way would I take 23C/D/E/F ... First, it's in the way back; second, not much leg room in that bulkhead; and third -- the worst -- there are a lot of folks in the back without much airplane etiquette, which means I guarantee some young guys will step over you moving from aisle to aisle.

I'd go for 7C and 7F (if you are two) and hope for no one in between (then swap out if need be). I kind of prefer the port side since there is an extra front toilet.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'm flying DUB-PHL tomorrow and the seat map is quite sparse; I was able to change back to our original pair of side seats up toward the front, so row 23 is once again vacant in the centre. Thanks for the advice.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:54 am
soy

Programs: various
Any advice on best A332 biz seats when traveling with children. (2 adults, 2 children, 5&6 yrs)

Choices seem to be;

1) 2 middle pairs with adult/child in each pair (C,F) - cannot see one another, but proximity means easier to help kid with meal, headphones, TV etc.

2) Block of 4 at same aisle (eg 4F,4H & 5F,5H) - Everyone can see everyone else (kinda), but more difficult for adult to assist kid with meal, TV etc, as are seated across the aisle.

3) Straight row across with kids in center pair (A,C,F,H) - hybrid of first 2 options

Kids are well travelled and as a night flight will mostly be sleeping, however this is first experience with reverse herringbone layout so unsure what to go for.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by soy
Any advice on best A332 biz seats when traveling with children. (2 adults, 2 children, 5&6 yrs)

Choices seem to be;

1) 2 middle pairs with adult/child in each pair (C,F) - cannot see one another, but proximity means easier to help kid with meal, headphones, TV etc.

2) Block of 4 at same aisle (eg 4F,4H & 5F,5H) - Everyone can see everyone else (kinda), but more difficult for adult to assist kid with meal, TV etc, as are seated across the aisle.

3) Straight row across with kids in center pair (A,C,F,H) - hybrid of first 2 options

Kids are well travelled and as a night flight will mostly be sleeping, however this is first experience with reverse herringbone layout so unsure what to go for.
Personally I'd go with Option 2, then Option 3, and finally Option 1. We've had five trips to and from Europe in the last three years on pmUS/AA A330s in business. Tried middle seats the first time and communicating was a pain and I can't imagine trying to assist or help a child in the adjoining seat. I'd much rather try to reach across the aisle to help or get up to help than being in the middle. Actually the last two flights we've actually gone to two window seats (i.e., 3A & 4A) than actually trying to chat even if across aisle. East bound we have a wine or two, eat dinner, and sleep. West bound it's pretty much the same routine though we don't sleep as much but usually settle into a movie or two after lunch. Bottom line is that the business seat configuration leans way more to individual privacy than to a couple or family traveling together. In the obviously very rare case of an emergency I'd rather my wife, and in your case the whole family, be in the same aisle.

Last edited by Randyk47; Dec 24, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by soy

Choices seem to be;

Traveling with the two kiddos last summer, we opted for #1 above. Each parent had a child to take care of/assist. As stated, the seats aren't exactly conducive to this due to the width of the consoles and privacy, but it worked for us. Well, more for me than my wife, since she had the 2yr-old who still nurses on occasion and prefers to sleep with us. She ended up basically with a lap child most of the flight. But this would've happened regardless of which configuration we picked.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:03 pm
soy

Programs: various
thanks all

Having thought about it more, I have decided that the visual aspect takes precedence, so will go for #2 as no way to see one another with #1
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by soy
thanks all

Having thought about it more, I have decided that the visual aspect takes precedence, so will go for #2 as no way to see one another with #1
Good choice. Have a great trip. ^
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:32 pm

A330-200: best seat for honeymooners in business?

Hello, well I love flying.. .and my wife, too :-). Could you please give any advice about seating on AA A330-200?

Sure, I know seatguru.. but... is it best to take 2 middle seats or 1 window + 1 isle? On the pictures it looks like the seats of the old 777 first class... which means shouting in order to talk.

Thanks for any hint!!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by tortellini
Hello, well I love flying.. .and my wife, too :-). Could you please give any advice about seating on AA A330-200?

Sure, I know seatguru.. but... is it best to take 2 middle seats or 1 window + 1 isle? On the pictures it looks like the seats of the old 777 first class... which means shouting in order to talk.

Thanks for any hint!!
So you need to realize that these seats, which are excellent, are designed for individual privacy and rest, and not communication with those around you. In the center pair, your feet are aimed at each other, which puts your heads further apart, so if reclined at all, it's tougher to talk to or see your seat mate. Many folks traveling together therefore will choose a window seat paired with the seat across the aisle (it's a 1-2-1 configuration) which, in spite of the aisle, can be easier to communicate with since your heads are closer than on the center pair as the window seat has the feet closest to the wall as well.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie
So you need to realize that these seats, which are excellent, are designed for individual privacy and rest, and not communication with those around you. In the center pair, your feet are aimed at each other, which puts your heads further apart, so if reclined at all, it's tougher to talk to or see your seat mate. Many folks traveling together therefore will choose a window seat paired with the seat across the aisle (it's a 1-2-1 configuration) which, in spite of the aisle, can be easier to communicate with since your heads are closer than on the center pair as the window seat has the feet closest to the wall as well.
I had assumed that the middle seats would be better for speaking with a companion. Glad I saw your post as we are on the 332 from MCO to CLT in a couple weeks. Thanks.

-Reece
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
DUB-PHL A330 Business Class

We currently have three single window seats (rows 1,2 &3) reserved for myself, wife and daughter.

Would it be any better to have 2 centres and a window to allow them to chat?
I have heard that it is difficult to see one another and chat in the centre seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.