Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The AA (Legacy US Airways) Airbus Industrie A330-200

AA announced retirement of the A330-200 in the Oct 2020 earnings report.

Status of reconfiguration
N279AY - NEW
N280AY - NEW
N281AY - NEW
N282AY - NEW
N283AY - NEW
N284AY - NEW
N285AY - NEW
N286AY - NEW
N287AY - NEW
N288AY - NEW
N289AY - NEW
N290AY - NEW
N291AY - NEW
N292AY - NEW
N293AY - NEW
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: The 15 A330-200 (with Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines) are being retained and updated. (The nine Pratt & Whitney equipped A330-300s have been scheduled for retirement (return to lessor at lease end) by late 2018 due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link).) The A330-200s will continue, however, and the launch of the retrofitted A330-200 will see
  • 20 Zodiac "Envoy" type Business seats in a 1-2-1 layout (1 blocked for pilot rest)
  • 21 Premium Economy (B/E Aerospace) seats in a 2-3-2 layout
  • 50 Main Cabin Extra seats (same seats as Y, just greater seat pitch) 2-4-2 (2 blocked for customers requiring customer assistance)
  • Main Cabin / Economy seats also 2-4-2
  • Ku band satellite based Panasonic WiFi
  • Individual personal entertainment screens for every seat
  • Seat power
  • Noise reduction headsets - Bose in Business, others for Premium Economy

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra has been installed on the A330-200 fleet. Until 15 Jan 2018, PE seats were available to Elites as MCE on those aircraft with PE; PE are available for sale on that date.

Link to A330-200 PE and MCE additions article on The Points Guy

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

Link to (non-AA) American Fleet Site, A330-200 page.

For the specific thread about the Zodiac "Envoy" Business seat, please see AA A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330: A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-200

Envoy / Business (20):
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites", all aisle access
* Seats A and H have windows and angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Bose noise reduction headsets on long-haul International flights
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Premium Economy (21):
* Rows 6, 7 and 8 in 2-3-2 layout
* Seat pitch 38"
* Seat width 18.5"
* Non-Bose noise reduction headsets on longhaul
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Main Cabin Extra (54):
* Bulkhead and Exit seats
* Others seem to be in non-standard layout
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

Economy (152):
* Seat pitch 31-32"
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Exits at row 23
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300: A333 in New Livery

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Airbus A330-200 / 332 [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
It is certainly a lot harder to see and talk with each other on the window side, as opposed to center aisle. If seeing and talking among yourself is very important, might as well book an economy ticket and get center aisle seating, where all 3 of you can be close together.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
You could keep a J seat, and move the girls back to Steerage, where they can chat together?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by phlwookie
So you need to realize that these seats, which are excellent, are designed for individual privacy and rest, and not communication with those around you. In the center pair, your feet are aimed at each other, which puts your heads further apart, so if reclined at all, it's tougher to talk to or see your seat mate. Many folks traveling together therefore will choose a window seat paired with the seat across the aisle (it's a 1-2-1 configuration) which, in spite of the aisle, can be easier to communicate with since your heads are closer than on the center pair as the window seat has the feet closest to the wall as well.
+1. We've been on some eight flights out of PHL to Europe and back the past four years on a330 variants. We tried two middle seats the first trip and found it was virtually impossible to talk comfortably. We've tried several combinations since then and finally settle on two windows seats on the same side. Turned out for us that on outbound flights we both had dinner and then would try to sleep the rest of the flight. On return flights while we didn't sleep as much we'd both settle into watching different movies or listening to tunes so really didn't chat that much. We're considered the "Velcro couple" by our friends as we're always together......we both think we got lucky and married our best friend......so it's not like we don't get along or want the private time.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:44 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Just noticed that my AA 711 from DUB->ORD in May was switched from 777 to A330. I've read on this thread that the biz seats on the A330 are really good... never been on the 777 though. Am I missing anything or will this be a really good product?

Actually this will be my first AA flight in 16 years as well.

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I read on another forum that the LUS Widebodies are starting to get some face lifts to the partitions (yuck that blonde fake wood is so bad) and seat covers. This is prior to the full refurb which has been reported to be taking place at some time later
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by bigshooter
Just noticed that my AA 711 from DUB->ORD in May was switched from 777 to A330. I've read on this thread that the biz seats on the A330 are really good... never been on the 777 though. Am I missing anything or will this be a really good product?

Actually this will be my first AA flight in 16 years as well.

Thanks
If you have not been on AA in 16 years, you will be impressed by the A330. As to whether it is better than a 777, it depends on whether you get the old 777 (in which case, it's an incredible improvement) or the refurb 777 (in which case, some might say the refurb 777 is marginally better). Even if it is the latter, it is not worth switching flights to get a different product. the A330 is lie-flat, all aisle access, with good entertainment system.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I enjoy the A332 very much in J. 20 seat cabin, all-aisle access = very quiet and comfortable.

More interestingly, though... AA is starting to use PMUS wide bodies from PMAA hubs now? I heard this was going to start, but wasn't sure.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by econometrics
I enjoy the A332 very much in J. 20 seat cabin, all-aisle access = very quiet and comfortable.

More interestingly, though... AA is starting to use PMUS wide bodies from PMAA hubs now? I heard this was going to start, but wasn't sure.
So far "crossfleeting" has only meant a former US A332 showing up on ORD-DUB and an AA 763 showing up on PHL-ZRH this summer.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
I am considering purchasing an MCE bulkhead seat on my upcoming flight from BCN to PHL (A330-200) but I have not been able to find a picture of what the bulkhead seats actually look like. Does anyone know where I can see what these seats actually look like? Is there much room between the bulkhead and the seat?

Thx
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by scottinaz
I am considering purchasing an MCE bulkhead seat on my upcoming flight from BCN to PHL (A330-200) but I have not been able to find a picture of what the bulkhead seats actually look like. Does anyone know where I can see what these seats actually look like? Is there much room between the bulkhead and the seat?

Thx
I don't have a pic, but the legroom is very nice in those seats. Best seats in Y on those planes, IMO.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
But on a cautionary note ....

Be careful with the middle bulkhead seats. Also, if you are 6' or over, the lack of legroom in 6A, 6B makes these seats less than appealing.

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I'm sure I have said this elsewhere upstream, but the big problem on the A330-200 is that the portside toilet in front of 6A, 6B is for Y (economy) passengers; but the starboard side toilet in front of 7G, 7H is for F passengers. So some folks -- young males in particular -- come up the starboard row, discover they can't use the toilet there, and use the bulkhead in front of 6C, 6D, 6E, 6F as a passageway to the portside toilet. And then back again.

I'd take the first C or F seat (B and G seats can have boxes under them) I could find.
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I have flown a lot in the back of these planes and no way would I take 23C/D/E/F ... First, it's in the way back; second, not much leg room in that bulkhead; and third -- the worst -- there are a lot of folks in the back without much airplane etiquette, which means I guarantee some young guys will step over you moving from aisle to aisle.

I'd go for 7C and 7F (if you are two) and hope for no one in between (then swap out if need be). I kind of prefer the port side since there is an extra front toilet.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA SMiles
Today ill buy a CLT-BCN flight. It shows a 332. Im considering 10H (window) seat in Y.

However, ive heard it's missing the window. But some say the 9H is the one with no window.

Some pic? Some testimony about seats 9H and 10H in the A332???
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by pinksalsa
Today ill buy a CLT-BCN flight. It shows a 332. Im considering 10H (window) seat in Y.

However, ive heard it's missing the window. But some say the 9H is the one with no window.

Some pic? Some testimony about seats 9H and 10H in the A332???
Its 9H. But it is sorta between 9H and 10H, but mainly 9H, you can look out of 8H's window.

Also, CLT-BCN is my favorite route to work during the summer, so you may have me as a FA!!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA SMiles
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Its 9H. But it is sorta between 9H and 10H, but mainly 9H, you can look out of 8H's window.

Also, CLT-BCN is my favorite route to work during the summer, so you may have me as a FA!!
Oh great! those are awesome news! I hope to meet you during my flight. I travel a lot to BCN, but always via MIA or JFK. This is my first time connecting in CLT and my first time flying an Airbus on a transatlantic flight. Always flying on 763, 777 (old), 772 refurbished, and 77W.

I was looking for a Business seat, but nothing available
8H and 8A are occupied as well
I guess the best seat, based on your impression, should be 10H then.

Thank you lot for you input. I highly appreciate your help. Hopefully, see ya' in the skies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:58 am

Best seat in J for solo passenger

What would be the best seat in J for a solo traveler?

From my research, it appears seats 1A/H has maybe a window and a half for looking out. I think 2A/H has at least 2 windows.
1A/H may have noises/lights from the galley/restrooms but it is a day flight for me from BCN to PHL so that shouldn't be an issue.

Which would you choose?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.