Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The AA (Legacy US Airways) Airbus Industrie A330-200

AA announced retirement of the A330-200 in the Oct 2020 earnings report.

Status of reconfiguration
N279AY - NEW
N280AY - NEW
N281AY - NEW
N282AY - NEW
N283AY - NEW
N284AY - NEW
N285AY - NEW
N286AY - NEW
N287AY - NEW
N288AY - NEW
N289AY - NEW
N290AY - NEW
N291AY - NEW
N292AY - NEW
N293AY - NEW
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: The 15 A330-200 (with Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines) are being retained and updated. (The nine Pratt & Whitney equipped A330-300s have been scheduled for retirement (return to lessor at lease end) by late 2018 due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link).) The A330-200s will continue, however, and the launch of the retrofitted A330-200 will see
  • 20 Zodiac "Envoy" type Business seats in a 1-2-1 layout (1 blocked for pilot rest)
  • 21 Premium Economy (B/E Aerospace) seats in a 2-3-2 layout
  • 50 Main Cabin Extra seats (same seats as Y, just greater seat pitch) 2-4-2 (2 blocked for customers requiring customer assistance)
  • Main Cabin / Economy seats also 2-4-2
  • Ku band satellite based Panasonic WiFi
  • Individual personal entertainment screens for every seat
  • Seat power
  • Noise reduction headsets - Bose in Business, others for Premium Economy

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra has been installed on the A330-200 fleet. Until 15 Jan 2018, PE seats were available to Elites as MCE on those aircraft with PE; PE are available for sale on that date.

Link to A330-200 PE and MCE additions article on The Points Guy

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

Link to (non-AA) American Fleet Site, A330-200 page.

For the specific thread about the Zodiac "Envoy" Business seat, please see AA A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330: A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-200

Envoy / Business (20):
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites", all aisle access
* Seats A and H have windows and angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Bose noise reduction headsets on long-haul International flights
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Premium Economy (21):
* Rows 6, 7 and 8 in 2-3-2 layout
* Seat pitch 38"
* Seat width 18.5"
* Non-Bose noise reduction headsets on longhaul
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Main Cabin Extra (54):
* Bulkhead and Exit seats
* Others seem to be in non-standard layout
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

Economy (152):
* Seat pitch 31-32"
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Exits at row 23
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300: A333 in New Livery

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Airbus A330-200 / 332 [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:46 pm

my wife and I flew on the a330-200 on a flight from PHL-SJU back in March. We got the two seats next to a window...beautiful plane!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:15 am

business class seats selection

just returned phl-bcn and was in middle 5c,5f going to Barcelona. all seats are fantastic in business class but be aware that the flight attendant will spend time in 5a during overnight I was spritzed by perfume and she also dropped a bag on me by mistake from overhead bin during the night. but I did love every minute of the flight. returned on 2c,2f great flight
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:56 pm

Does anyone have any in site into which first class seats have the extra length? My Husband and I are both over 6' I have flown this plane once in first. We were in the bulkhead middle seats which were fine. It wasn't a long flight so the annoyance of the lav's etc in those seats didn't bother us. This flight we are heading to Athens from PHL so we want to be comfortable and quiet. Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I don't think of the A330-200 as having a bulkhead in F, first because the up-front cabin is branded Envoy and usually given a business class fare, second (and more relevant) because all of the seats are "pod-like" -- even in row 1 -- so there really is no bulkhead.

I'm over 6' myself and, worse, have long feet, so I have been super-sensitive to the interesting gradations in the "lie-down" lengths of these seats. The great thing about this board is that I will be corrected if these details are off, but I am pretty sure that the longest seats are 6'8", in 1A and 1H. I prefer the H (starboard) side on the A330-200, because the gallery is asymmetric and skewed toward port (A side), so both 1A and 1C get gallery noise and light on the way to Europe. Anyhow, and continuing with length, the seats like 2C, 2F are all 6'4" -- you would know the difference. The other seats are, I think, 6'6": 2H through 5H, 2A through 5H, and 1C and 1F. But maybe some of those are 6'4", too.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cheriev
Does anyone have any in site into which first class seats have the extra length? My Husband and I are both over 6' I have flown this plane once in first. We were in the bulkhead middle seats which were fine. It wasn't a long flight so the annoyance of the lav's etc in those seats didn't bother us. This flight we are heading to Athens from PHL so we want to be comfortable and quiet. Thanks for the help.
We just flew the reverse, ATH to PHL, and opted for 3A and 4A. We've made the PHL and return to FCO, VCE, and ATH three times now in the last three years and decided after the first trip to go to window seats for both. Truth is that once we settle in we rarely chat seat to seat and quite frankly it's hard to do that in the middle seats anyhow. Will say that we usually go for 3H and 4H but those weren't available for our return a couple of weeks ago. 3A and 4A didn't work as well but probably because we've become used to the other side......also probably didn't help that we stayed up with friends in Athens celebrating the end of a three week vacation consuming various aged grape beverages.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
A330 Showing Wifi on New Booking

This a system glitch?

Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Moving this to the pre-consolidation US Airways forum, as the fleets are not yet integrated.

~Moderator
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
AA A330

Hello! I am usually a BA flyer but will use AA when visiting the USA.

Next year I am planning to fly in business from DUB-PHL on AA (flight 723 I believe). The aircraft is listed an A330 but I can not find data about the seating on the AA website nor on seatguru.

My main concern is whether the seats will be lie-flat or not.

Am I correct in saying that this would be a US-Airways aircraft? Will it still be in US airways livery and will the crew be US-Airways?

I apologise for my ignorance on AA/US-Airways. Any help would be gratefully received.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by heathrowflyer111
My main concern is whether the seats will be lie-flat or not.
Yes, they are lie-flat

Am I correct in saying that this would be a US-Airways aircraft? Will it still be in US airways livery and will the crew be US-Airways?
Yes, almost definitely. Fleet and crew integration will still be on-going.That flight will be operated by a US A/C, I believe a -200 version.

HERE is the Seatguru link. Have a good trip
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:44 am

Thank you for your help - much appreciated.

I have heard bad things about US airways cabin crew (I have never flown with this carrier before).

Am I right to be concerned?

My only other option is to fly on an AA757 from DUB-JFK which does not have lie flat so I think whatever happens I will go the PHL route.

I would be interested to hear any feedback about the cabin crew.

Thank you!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I've never flown US on an International route, but I'd take a flat bed over the best SQ crew in the world and a bad seat.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:26 am

Thank you Madone! I also realise that I have read your Beijing trip report a few weeks ago!

Thank you for your feedback!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I have flown US transatlantic more than 200 times, all but a few times in business class over the past 18 or so years. The A330 is a nice ride, with modern, lie flat seats, each having aisle access. The seats are pretty much all the same in that there aren't ones to avoid, though very tall people seem to prefer row 1 as the legroom is slightly longer. At about 6 foot tall I have no problem lying flat in any A330 business suite.

As with any carrier, the crews can be hit or miss, but post-AA merger, the US crews are better compensated and generally pretty good, and in my experience better than the AA crews across the Atlantic. By then there may be more AA-US crew integration, but if you were to fly this flight now it'd be a legacy US crew. All of the former US widebodies are in fresh AA paint now.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by phlwookie
I have flown US transatlantic more than 200 times, all but a few times in business class over the past 18 or so years. The A330 is a nice ride, with modern, lie flat seats, each having aisle access. The seats are pretty much all the same in that there aren't ones to avoid, though very tall people seem to prefer row 1 as the legroom is slightly longer. At about 6 foot tall I have no problem lying flat in any A330 business suite.

As with any carrier, the crews can be hit or miss, but post-AA merger, the US crews are better compensated and generally pretty good, and in my experience better than the AA crews across the Atlantic. By then there may be more AA-US crew integration, but if you were to fly this flight now it'd be a legacy US crew. All of the former US widebodies are in fresh AA paint now.
Thank you for the explanation. I shall have no hesitation in booking these flights. It actually sounds rather nice. It's part of a tier point run (for BA status) to Hawaii.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
All 330s (both -200 and -300) are in new AA livery now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.