Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Frequently Asked Questions: American Airlines and AAdvantage
Please check here first: resources, thread links, etc.

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Please do NOT post your individual questions here.
This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 12:44 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Update: 762 powerports restored

Originally Posted by dstan
• Will my seat have a powerport and what kind of plug do I need?

<snip>

DC powerports on domestic 757-200 (752) aircraft have been disabled since Sep 1, 2010 due to an undisclosed problem. DC powerports are also disabled in rows 17-44 of the coach cabin of most 767-300 (763) aircraft as of Jan 15, 2011. Both are expected to be repaired by the end of 2011. DC powerports were also disabled on all 767-200 (762) aircraft from Jan 15, 2011 – May 20, 2011 but have all now been restored.
Old May 25, 2011, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Update: Extended reservation hold trial extended

• How long can I hold a reservation at a guaranteed price?

<snip>

N.B.: From Mar 25, 2011 – June 9, 2011, AA is running a trial offer to extend holds up to 7 days for a fee. The offer is valid for flights within the continuous 48 U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Alaska) and reserved in the U.S. >30 days prior to departure.

<snip>

FT: New Trial Offer: Pay to hold reservation and fare for 7 days (Mar 25 – June 9, 2011)
Old May 27, 2011, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Update: AS Board Room access for AC members

• Will I have lounge access on my itinerary?

<snip>

Admirals Club members also receive access to Qantas Clubs when traveling on a Qantas-operated flights, and to the Alaska Airlines Board Rooms at ANC, PDX, and SEA when traveling on an AA-operated and marketed flight (no codeshares).

<snip>

FT: Alaska Airlines Board Room Access at ANC / PDX / SEA for Admirals Club Members flying AA (May 2011)
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Update: Expre$$ Seats extended to some international routes

• What are Express Seats?

Express Seats are available for purchase at or near the front of the coach cabin, including bulkhead rows, on flights within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and U.S.V.I. As of June 1, 2011, Express Seats are also sold on international itineraries originating in the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Belgium.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Update: STL temporary AC opened June 6, 2011

• Where can I find more information about a specific lounge?

<snip>

FT: STL / St. Louis Admirals Club (temp site OPEN Jun 6, 2011) (consolidated)
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
I didn't see an answer at first glance...

I'm booking DFW - LHR next May. Flights are availible, but they all have connections through ORD. I know that AA has 3-4 direct flights in their inventory from DFW.

Any chance that Award travel opens up to direct flights down the line or am I stuck with the connection?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spankytoes
I didn't see an answer at first glance...

I'm booking DFW - LHR next May. Flights are availible, but they all have connections through ORD. I know that AA has 3-4 direct flights in their inventory from DFW.

Any chance that Award travel opens up to direct flights down the line or am I stuck with the connection?
Looks like a good question for the MileSAAver Award Availability thread.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Update: Surcharge for U.K. credit cards & U.K. paypal

• Will I have to pay any fees to make, change, or upgrade my reservation?

Reservations can be made free of charge online at AA.com or the associated AA worldwide websites. Reservations made by telephone with AA Reservations, with an airport agent, or at an AA Travel Center incur a service charge that varies by country. EXP members are exempt from these booking fees. However, as of mid-June 2010, reservations made in the U.K. only using a credit card or PayPal are subject to a £4.50 surcharge; U.K. debit cards are exempt.

<snip>

FT: AA Adds £4.50 Surcharge for Reservations Made in U.K. with Credit Card or PayPal (Jun 2011)
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Update: PLT no longer receive free drink/snack on American Eagle

• Will there be food and beverages available on my flight?

<snip>

EXP elites traveling in Coach on any flight, including American Eagle or American Connection, are entitled to a free shelf-stable snack and alcoholic beverage. PLT elites were included in this program for several years, but this has reportedly been discontinued as of June 2011.

<snip>

FT: No more free snack / drink for PLT on American Eagle (June 2011)
FT: Free snack / drink for PLT/EXP on American Eagle
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Update: Calling AA 800 numbers from overseas

• How do I get through to AA on the phone?

<snip>

From outside the U.S. and Canada, AA can be telephoned by one of three methods:
  1. Dial the desired 800 number directly using Skype or other internet telephony service.
  2. Dial the desired 800 number via the AT&T World Traveler Service local access number using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or collect call; long distance charges will apply.
  3. Dial +1-817-963-1234 directly to contact AMR headquarters; an operator or the voice recognition system can then connect callers to the appropriate office or desk.
<snip>

Wiki: Contacting AA
AA.com: Contact AA | AT&T World Traveler | Remember Me
FT: Tips and Tricks for AA’s Voice Recognition Phone System
FT: How to Call AA 800 Numbers from Overseas
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:52 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow Correction: Calling AA 800 numbers from overseas

1. Dial the desired toll-free number directly using Skype (+1 800 XXX-XXXX, free of charge) or other internet telephony service.
  2. Dial +1 817 963-1234 directly to contact AMR headquarters; an operator or the voice recognition system can then connect callers to the appropriate office or desk.
  3. Dial the AT&T USA Direct Access Number (http://www.USA.ATT.com/traveler/index.jsp) for the country you are in.
    • AADV PLT & EXP Members: Enter the PLT/EXP number on the back of your card (800-XXX-XXXX) when prompted (Intl call charges will be automatically billed to AA).
    • Non-Elite Members: Enter 817 963-1234 or the desired toll-free number (charges can be billed to an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card or Credit Card).
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KVS
  1. Dial the desired toll-free number directly using Skype (+1 800 XXX-XXXX, free of charge) or other internet telephony service.
  2. Dial +1 817 963-1234 directly to contact AMR headquarters; an operator or the voice recognition system can then connect callers to the appropriate office or desk.
  3. Dial the AT&T USA Direct Access Number (http://www.USA.ATT.com/traveler/index.jsp) for the country you are in.
    • AADV PLT & EXP Members: Enter the PLT/EXP number on the back of your card (800-XXX-XXXX) when prompted (Intl call charges will be automatically billed to AA).
    • Non-Elite Members: Enter 817 963-1234 or the desired toll-free number (charges can be billed to an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card or Credit Card).
Thanks! Is #3b documented somewhere?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:20 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! Is #3b documented somewhere?
Just here
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Revised Update: Calling AA 800 numbers from overseas

• How do I get through to AA on the phone?

<snip>

From outside the U.S. and Canada, AA can be telephoned by one of three methods:
  1. Direct dial the desired 800 number using Skype or other internet telephony service, toll free. Direct dialing 800 numbers from landlines or mobile phones overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.
  2. Dial the desired 800 number via the AT&T World Traveler Service local access number. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T will automatically recognize the number and bill the long distance charges to AA without asking the caller for a payment method.
  3. Direct dial +1-817-963-1234 to contact AMR headquarters; an operator or the voice recognition system can then connect callers to the appropriate office or desk.
<snip>

Wiki: Contacting AA
AA.com: Contact AA | AT&T World Traveler | Remember Me
FT: Tips and Tricks for AA’s Voice Recognition Phone System
FT: How to Call AA 800 Numbers from Overseas
hillrider has added some additional info to the wiki, referenced in the ongoing discussion thread, but I think I've hit the three major methods here. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Update: Rolling a 24-hour hold reservation

Some topical additions below. Not currently clear if the paid Extended Hold offer remains available.

• How long can I hold a reservation at a guaranteed price?

<snip>

Note that held reservations do remove slots from fare inventory and hold specific seats on seatmaps. The inventory and seats are released automatically when the held reservation is canceled, but do not necessarily return to the original inventory class. Thus, members who manually roll holds online often check that there is at least one inventory slot remaining in the original inventory class, and that the fare price has not changed, before cancelling and renewing a hold. It may also be possible to call AA Reservations and ask them to extend the hold for another day if the original inventory is still available.

N.B.: From Mar 25, 2011 – June 2011, AA is running a trial offer to extend holds up to 7 days for a fee. The offer is valid for flights within the continuous 48 U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Alaska) and reserved in the U.S. >30 days prior to departure. It is not clear if this trial is being continued permanently.

<snip>

FT: Rolling / Extending a 24-Hour Hold / Held Reservation Online
FT: New Trial Offer: Pay to hold reservation and fare for 7 days (Mar 25 – June 2011)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.