Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA IVR / Phone Voice Recognition and Menu System: Tips and Tricks

Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

From dstan, relocated from the original post downstream:

<Edited 2/19/09 with updated main menu and submenu options>
<Edited 7/18/08 with new preliminary menu and updated main menu options; on the PLT and EXP lines, you are no longer asked for your AAdvantage number to start the call>

Seems AA has enabled number prompt selection implicitly for their phone menu options. Sometimes it helps to hold the number down a little longer. The options I've mapped out are below. If anyone has additions/corrections, let me know and I'll update this post.

Upcoming Reservation - If you are calling from a Remember Me phone, or have entered your AAdv number on the General or GLD lines, and have a flight reservation pending, the system will first ask you if you want help with this reservation:

Code:
# Main Menu
0 Agent

1. Yes
	-->if you have multiple reservations, requests departure date
	1. Review
	2. Change
	3. Upgrade
	4. Cancel
2. No
	-->Preliminary Menu below
Preliminary Menu - If you are a PLT or EXP calling from a non-Remember Me phone or do not select your pending reservation, you will now (as of Apr/Jul-2008) proceed directly to the following Preliminary Menu:

Code:
# Main Menu
0 Agent
* Repeat

1. Flight Information
	-->automated flight and gate information system
2. Auto Upgrade
	-->automated upgrade system
3. Agent
	-->questions before transferring call
4. Main Menu
	-->Main Menu below
Main Menu - Finally, you will have more options at the Main Menu. Note that the route to the autoupgrade system from here is now [1,3,1] (it was previously [3,1,2]).

Code:
# Main Menu
0 Agent
* Repeat

1. Reservations
	1. New Reservation
		-->questions before handling call
	2. Existing Reservation
	3. Upgrades
		1. Request or Check on a 500-Mile Upgrade
			-->automated upgrade system
		2. Other
			-->questions before transferring call to agent
	4. Flight and Gate Information
2. Flight and Gate Information
3. Award Travel
	1. New Reservations
	2. Existing Reservations
4. AAdvantage Account
	1. Mileage Balance
	2. Elite Information
	3. Update My Account
		1. Name
		2. Phone Number
		3. Address
	4. Request Mileage Credit
		1. Flights
		2. Hotels
		3. Car Rentals
		4. Other Partners
5. More Options
	1. Baggage
		1. Delayed Bag
		2. General Baggage Information
	2. Travel Tips
		1. Security and Check-in
		2. Travel with Children
		3. Children Flying Alone
		4. Travel with Pets
	3. Phone Numbers (US)
		1. Delayed Baggage
		2. Ticket Refund
		3. AA.com Web Services
		4. AA Vacations
		5. Cargo and Parcels
		6. Employment with AA
	4. Web Support
		-->AA web services line
	5. Remember Me
Keywords: phone bypass, keystroke, McBypass

JDiver adds the NATO / phonetic alphabet pilots and air traffic control (and I) use to disambiguate voice prompts:

Code:
Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf 
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whiskey
Xray
Yankee
Zulu

Numbers require emphasized diction to work (see 5 and 9 especially)
One
Two
Three
Four
Five (fife, or fa-eve)
Six
Seven 
Eight 
Niner (to disambiguate from five)
Zero
ADDED: Link to FT - AA Discussion on cell phone "Remember Me" issues, added November 2007

Last edited by JDiver; May 6, 2010 at 4:50 pm Reason: add / update
Old Oct 27, 2007, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The easiest thing to do is simply punch in the numerical equivalent of your AAdvantage number and 4-digit PIN. No muss, no fuss.

The issue is that I'm not sure AA is issuing PINs anymore--they are a relic of the AAdvantage Dial-In days.

I also use the NATO phonetic alphabet from time to time. But punching it in works best.

Another word of advice: Do not call the regular AAdvantage line 800-882-8880, or you will have to deal with the new-fangled voice recognition system that I find tedious and virtually unusable in noisy environments. Instead, call your respective elite hotline.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The issue is that I'm not sure AA is issuing PINs anymore--they are a relic of the AAdvantage Dial-In days.
AFAIK you can still request a PIN.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:56 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Is there a way to shortcut the 'preamble' telling us about lower fares and the cost of not going to aa.com?

The key entering of my AA number plus my old PIN gets me transferred without a voice prompt in noisy situations; but I still have to listen to, and have never found a way around, the 'preamble'.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by kappa
Is there a way to shortcut the 'preamble' telling us about lower fares and the cost of not going to aa.com?

The key entering of my AA number plus my old PIN gets me transferred without a voice prompt in noisy situations; but I still have to listen to, and have never found a way around, the 'preamble'.
On the EXP line I always just dial 2,4 as soon as the call is answered (this skips the preamble). I then say my advantage number as soon as I hear "whats your advantage number" and an agent picks up shortly afterward. Ive been doing that so long I forget what the 2 and 4 are for ... one of them is for international though.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muddy
On the EXP line I always just dial 2,4 as soon as the call is answered (this skips the preamble). I then say my advantage number as soon as I hear "whats your advantage number" and an agent picks up shortly afterward. Ive been doing that so long I forget what the 2 and 4 are for ... one of them is for international though.

That's only for the EXP desk. If you call the PLT or GLD numbers and press 2,4 you will hear a lovely 30-second discussion about telephone ticketing fees and the merits of AA.com and how you can save booking fees by booking there. (As if a GLD/PLT didn't know about AA.com!!!)

I've heard that even if a non-EXP calls the EXP number, he or she can bypass the preamble and then get routed to the correct type of AAgent. However, I don't want to encourage it because I don't want to clog the EXP phone system with non-EXP callers! (even if they seldom actually get routed to the EXP Desk)
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by JDiver
<snip>

I will add the NATO / phonetic alphabet pilots and air traffic control (and I) use to disambiguate voice prompts:

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
etc. (snipped by mod)
I don't know about NATO, but in an aviation context this is the ICAO alphabet.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 11, 2007 at 2:26 pm Reason: shorten quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I don't know about NATO, but in an aviation context this is the ICAO alphabet.

It's also the NATO Phonetic Alphabet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Does repeating "agent" still bypass on the passenger service lines?
Yes - at least it did in August. It worked beautifully.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
The easiest thing to do is simply punch in the numerical equivalent of your AAdvantage number and 4-digit PIN.
In case some aren't aware of this ... you can avoid entering your AAdvantage number if you use the "know me" feature from a cell phone.
https://www.aa.com/content/urls/callaa.jhtml
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
In case some aren't aware of this ... you can avoid entering your AAdvantage number if you use the "know me" feature from a cell phone.
https://www.aa.com/content/urls/callaa.jhtml

That system is awful! I remember when they put it on the PLT line and people complained so much that they removed it and put the old menu back!

Basically, AA designed the "know me" thing to force passengers do more stuff via automated systems (since AA is gradually downsizing the workforce of call center AAgents). "Know me" makes it significantly more complicated to reach a real person because you have to navigate the menus. You can't just press 2,4 or 0 and then speak or punch in your number and PIN.

I tried it a few times and it was simply infuriating. I am not a fan of voice recognition technology in the first place--I would ALWAYS rather punch in my number than deal with a computer's interpretation of my voice in a noisy environment.

When I call AA, 99% of the time I am looking to get connected with a live AAgent as quickly as possible. Luckily, the elite lines still make it possible, especially the EXP Desk.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
There is a wonderful website called Get Human that has tips on getting to a person through many IVRs. Including AA.

http://www.gethuman.com/
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Can one still check in via phone?

I often find myself away from internet access at the 24-hour mark for OLCI--can this still be done by phone and will it be the same result as OLCI (e.g., for check in time associated with my PNR for standby and upgrade priority)?

TIA!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I don't believe you can do this any longer.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AAir_head
I often find myself away from internet access at the 24-hour mark for OLCI--can this still be done by phone and will it be the same result as OLCI (e.g., for check in time associated with my PNR for standby and upgrade priority)?

TIA!
If by phone you mean by using the web browser on your web-enabled mobile device, then yes. I do this all the time from my blackberry. If you mean check in by phone by talking to an automated system, no.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.