Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Frequently Asked Questions: American Airlines and AAdvantage
Please check here first: resources, thread links, etc.

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Please do NOT post your individual questions here.
This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:20 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Update: Currency issues with Hold / Held Reservations

Originally Posted by dstan
• How long can I hold a reservation at a guaranteed price? / What can I do if my held reservation reprices at purchase?

<snip>

If you find that AA.com reprices your held reservation when attempting to purchase, and you are sure that the fare rule is still valid, a telephone call to AA Web Services may resolve the problem. You may need to complete the purchase on the telephone, which technically will invoke a $25 telephone booking fee, however, some agents may waive this fee at their discretion. Also, if you hold a reservation in one currency and then try to complete the purchase with a credit card denominated in another currency, it will automatically reprice to the prevailing fare. To avoid this, ask AA Web Services to change the currency on the original held reservation to the currency you wish to use for the purchase.

<snip>

FT: Hold / Held Reservation repriced when using different currency at purchase
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Update: Double EQM promo lists

Sorry this one was out of date - and thanks to The Blond Kid for the heads up! ^

• How can I qualify for AA elite status?

AAdvantage members can qualify for elite status annually based on calendar year butt-in-seat elite-qualifying miles (25K / 50K / 100K), elite-qualifying points (25K / 50K / 100K), or elite-qualifying segments (30 / 60 / 100). All fares on AA earn 100% elite-qualifying miles, 50–150% elite-qualifying points, and 100% elite-qualifying segments, except O fares between North America and Latin America (Central and South America excluding Mexico). Flights on oneworld partner airlines and Alaska Airlines also earn elite-qualifying miles, points, and segments, but may be subject to various fare restrictions and multipliers. Flights on other partner airlines do not earn elite-qualifying miles, points, or segments. Non-flying miles (credit card, dining, etc.) do not count toward annual elite status qualification and, as of Dec 1, 2011, no longer count toward Lifetime / Million Miler Status.

N.B.: On Jul 18, 2011, AA launched a new Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard that awards 10,000 elite-qualifying miles after $40,000 in calendar year spending.

AA is currently running two Double Elite-Qualifying Miles promotions, which are combinable:
  • DEQ11 - Double EQM for residents of CA, TX, and IL on DFW-LAX, DFW-SFO, ORD-LAX, and ORD-SFO segments in roundtrip itineraries from Oct 27, 2011 – Mar 31, 2012.
  • DEQAA - Double EQM systemwide from Dec 13, 2011 – Jan 31, 2012.
AA previously ran a number of related promotions:
  • DEQSL - Double EQM for residents of CA and TX, on roundtrip flights between DFW-LAX and DFW-SFO from Apr 7, 2011 – Aug 31, 2011.
  • DECSL - Double EQM for residents of CA and IL, on roundtrip flights between ORD-LAX and ORD-SFO from May 6, 2011 – Aug 31, 2011.
  • LHREQ - Double EQM on roundtrip flights between BOS-LHR and MIA-LHR in full fare Economy Class or above on AA and BA flights from Mar 29, 2011 – Aug 15, 2011.
  • LASF2 - Double EQM on roundtrip flights between DFW-SFO or DFW-LAX from Nov 29, 2010 – Feb 28, 2011.
  • BNATD, PITTD, RDUTD, STLTD - Double EQM on itineraries originating and terminating at BNA, PIT, RDU, and STL from Jul 2–Dec 31, 2010.
  • NYTPL - Triple EQM for LGA-ORD, ORD-LGA, LGA-BOS, and BOS-LGA flight segments ONLY (NYTPL) from Jun 14 – Aug 31, 2010.
  • DBLEQ - Double EQM systemwide from Sep 2 – Dec 15, 2009.
  • DBEQM - Double EQM systemwide from Mar 18 – Jun 15, 2009, following fleetwide MD80 groundings due to maintenance issues.
Wiki: Elite Status
AA.com: Elite Qualification Requirements
FT: AA Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard
FT: DEQ11: Double EQM DFW/ORD-LAX/SFO for CA, IL, TX residents
FT: DEQAA: Double EQM Systemwide
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Update: 2012 Elite Year buy back announced

• I will just miss requalifying, will AA make any exceptions or can I buy back status?

<snip>

Wiki: Elite Status: Buyback
AA.com: Elite Status Buyback: An Exclusive AAdvantage Special Offer
FT: 2012 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Update: 2012 Menus threads now open

• Will there be food and beverages available on my flight?

<snip>

FT: 'Traditional meal times' on AA
FT: 2012 AA Domestic Meals - menus, photos, etc.
FT: 2012 AA International Meals - menus, photos, etc.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Update: Award Upgrades remain associated with canceled tickets and can be reapplied

Just learned this one myself ^, and posted it to the thread linked below:

• How do I change or cancel my reservation?

<snip>

After that, changes or cancellations to non-refundable fares will require payment of a change fee, which is published in the fare rule (usually $150 for domestic fares, $250-275 for international fares). Fare rules usually grant fee waivers for death of a passenger or traveling companion (domestic or international), but no longer for serious illness of a passenger or traveling companion. Residual value from canceled tickets is recorded by ticket number and must be applied to the purchase of a new ticket for the same passenger for travel within one year of the original ticketing date. Any remaining value will be refunded in the form of a voucher. Notably, Award Upgrades that have already cleared and for which copays have already been paid will also remain associated with the ticket number and can be applied to the new ticket, upgrade inventory permitting, without additional copays or mileage redeposit fees.

<snip>

FT: Have to cancel a flight, what happens now?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Update: Same-Day Confirmed Flight Change fee increased from $50 to $75

• Can I standby for a different flight?

<snip>

AA also offers confirmed, Same-Day Travel Changes (Confirmed Flight Change) onto domestic flights within 12 hours of the departure time of the alternate for a fee of $75, subject to availability. These changes can be made by phone, at a kiosk, or with an airport agent.

<snip>

FT: Same-Day Travel Change / Confirmed Flight Change (consolidated)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Update: Party in intl longhaul Y on Feb 1, 2012

• Will there be food and beverages available on my flight?

AA provides complimentary non-alcoholic beverages in all cabins on all flights. Alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, mixed drinks) are also complimentary in First and Business, and are available for purchase in Economy at $6 per drink on all flights. As of Feb 1, 2012, beer and wine will also be complimentary in Coach on longhaul international flights (to/from Asia, Europe, South America).

<snip>

FT: Free beer and wine in international Economy (as of Feb 1, 2012)
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Post New Entry: Changing seat after online check-in

• How can I change my seat assignment after online checkin?

Seat assignments generally cannot be changed online or by phone after online checkin. There is a workaround, in which a phone agent ‘unchecks in’ the passenger, allowing the passenger to complete online seat reselection and re-check in for the flight, however, agents may be reluctant to do so. In contrast, seat assignments can be changed after checkin by using a self-service kiosk or by any agent at the airport.

Because standby priority is determined, in part, by checkin time, passengers must balance this benefit of checking in as early as possible (24 hours before the departure of the first flight in an itinerary) with the risk that a better seat may become available closer to departure time as, for example, elite passengers are upgraded. Passengers awaiting upgrades should also note that they will be unable to change their automatically assigned seat online if the upgrade clears after online checkin.

FT: Change seat assignment after online checkin (consolidated)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Technical Update: Links from OP to individual entries

I've made a technical tweak to this thread that should solve the problem of certain links from the OP leading to the top of the page after the desired target post rather than directly to the target post.

Please let me know if anyone is still experiencing problems.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Update: Award searches - Award Nexus, updated links, other edits

• How do I book award travel using my AAdvantage miles?

Your AAdvantage miles can be used for three different types of award tickets: AA Awards, All-Partner Awards, and oneworld Awards. AA Awards can be booked online, while All-Partner and oneworld Awards must be booked by telephone, usually incurring an additional service fee. Appropriate inventory must be available and reservations can be made as early as 330 days out on AA.com, or 331 days out by phone.

AA AAnytime Awards book into full-fare inventory buckets (F, J, Y) and are almost always available, unless a flight is sold out. AA MileSAAver Awards require half as many miles as AAnytime Awards but have limited availability, which can be determined using the award booking engine on AA.com. Award Nexus, a website with free, limited access for FlyerTalk members and additional premium options available for purchase, can also be used to search award availability for AA, oneworld airlines, and other partners. Some find it easier to view MileSAAver inventory (Z, U, T) directly using the subscription services ExpertFlyer or KVS Availability Tool. Award inventory for most oneworld airlines and other partners is also available via the KVS tool, while ExpertFlyer provides more limited coverage.

On May 9, 2009, AA unveiled their new One-Way Flex Awards program, in which one-way AA and All-Partner awards can be booked for exactly one half the miles required previously for a roundtrip award. One benefit is that passengers attempting to book round-trip awards no longer need to wait or extend holds until the return flight becomes available 330 days out. Conversely, however, stopovers are now restricted to only the domestic gateway city on international (Europe, India, Asia, Central and South America) travel. Up to four awards can be booked together on a single reservation (PNR) and, if necessary, changed for a single change fee.

On Aug 2, 2011, AA announced new Dynamic Air Awards. These awards are available to elite members only, for travel within the mainland U.S., and can only be booked online for immediate purchase (no holds). Mileage charges are less than those for AAnytime Awards, but vary based on current revenue fare prices at the time of booking.

Wiki: Award Rules | Award Booking Codes | Inventory Classes
AA.com: Awards | AA Award Chart | All-Partner Award Charts | oneworld Award Charts | Dynamic Air Awards
FT: Routing and stopover rules for AA and All-Partner Awards
FT: Routing and stopover rules for oneworld Awards (round-the-world) using AAdvantage miles

FT: AA MileSAAver Award availability (consolidated)
FT: AA and All-Partner One-Way Flex Awards (from May 9, 2009)
FT: AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards (from Aug 2, 2011)
FT: Special procedure for Award tickets originating in the Philippines
FT: oneworld Forum
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Update: Increased second checked bag fees on international routes

• Will I have to pay checked baggage fees?

AA began charging for certain checked bags in 2008. Fees vary by destination and are as follows for the first and second checked bag each way (be sure to check AA.com for the most up-to-date information):

Within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands:
  • Purchased on/before Aug 13, 2009: $15 / $25
  • Purchased Aug 14, 2009 – Jan 31, 2010: $20 / $30
  • Purchased on/after Feb 1, 2010: $25 / $35 [AA.com Link]

Between Canada and the U.S., Puerto Rico, or U. S. Virgin Islands:
  • Purchased on/before Mar 28, 2010: $15 / $25
  • Purchased on/after Mar 29, 2010: $25 / $35 [AA.com Link]

Between Mexico and the U.S., Puerto Rico, U. S. Virgin Islands, Canada, Europe, or India:
  • Purchased on/before May 2, 2010: $0/ $0
  • Purchased May 3, 2010 – Feb 7, 2012: $0 / $30
  • Purchased on/after Feb 8, 2012: $0 / $40 [AA.com Link]

Between Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, and South America:

Between the Caribbean or Central America and the U.S., Puerto Rico, U. S. Virgin Islands, Canada, Europe, or India:

Between South America (except Brazil) and the U.S., Puerto Rico, U. S. Virgin Islands, or Canada:
  • Purchased on/before Aug 29, 2011: $0/ $0
  • Purchased Aug 30, 2011 – Feb 7, 2012: $0 / $30
  • Purchased on/after Feb 8, 2012: $0 / $70 [AA.com Link]

Between South America (except Brazil) and Europe or India, including through traffic:
  • Purchased Aug 30, 2011 – Feb 7, 2012: $0 / $30
  • Purchased on/after Feb 8, 2012: $0 / $60 [AA.com Link]

Between Canada and Europe or India, including through traffic:
  • Purchased on/after Aug 30, 2011: $0 / $60 [AA.com Link]

To/from Europe (Belgium, England, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland):
  • Purchased on/before Sep 13, 2009: $0/ $0
  • Purchased Sep 14, 2009 – Aug 29, 2011: $0 / $50
  • Purchased on/after Aug 30, 2011: $0 / $60
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Update: Loophole closed on AAward close-in ticketing $75 fee

• Will I have to pay any fees to make, change, or upgrade my reservation?

<snip>

AAdvantage Travel Awards incur a $25 service charge when booked by telephone, $30 when booked at the airport, or $20 when booked at a Travel Center. AAdvantage Travel Awards for AA-only itineraries can be redeemed online at AA.com with no service charge. AAdvantage Awards redeemed/requested <21 days prior to departure incur a one-time $75 close-in ticketing fee. As of Feb 16, 2011, this fee also applies if changing an existing award booked with a departure date ≥21 days after ticketing to an earlier departure date <21 days after the original ticketing date, closing a loophole that had been used previously to avoid the fee. (Prior to Aug 24, 2011, close-in ticketing fees were $50 from 20 to 7 days prior to departure and $100 <7 days prior to departure.) The close-in fee for additional awards drawn from the same AAdvantage account is $25. AA elites are exempt from close-in charges as of July 29, 2010 and EXP members are exempt from ticketing service charges. AAdvantage Travel Awards are subject to taxes and security fees.

<snip>

FT: AA to charge $75 for change to ticketed AAward travel <21 days prior to departure, closing loophole (Feb 2012)

Last edited by dstan; Feb 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm Reason: wording revised for clarity
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Update: Added some info on fees applicable to AAwards

• How do I book award travel using my AAdvantage miles?

Your AAdvantage miles can be used for three different types of award tickets: AA Awards, All-Partner Awards, and oneworld Awards. AA Awards can be booked online, while All-Partner and oneworld Awards must be booked by telephone, usually incurring an additional service fee. Appropriate inventory must be available and reservations can be made as early as 330 days out on AA.com, or 331 days out by phone. AAwards are still subject to certain government fees, including the U.S. September 11th Security Fee (AY; $2.50 per flight); expect substantial additional fees on international flights. In addition, although fuel surcharges (YQ; varies) do not apply to AA flights, they do apply to British Airways flights.

<snip>

FT: Fuel surcharges (YQ) on AAwards redeemed on British Airways / BA flights
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Update: SAN Admirals Club thread added; under refurbishment

• Where can I find more information about a specific lounge?

<snip>

FT: SAN / San Diego Admirals Club under refurbishment (2012) (consolidated)
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Update: Link to new 2012-present compensation thread

• How do I request compensation for a problem or compliment an AA employee?

<snip>

FT: Guide to, and listing of, compensation 2012-present (consolidated) [AA Guide to Compensation.xls (2003–2007 by JGR01)]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.