Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Have to cancel flight; what now? Refunds, reticketing, validity issues. [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have to cancel flight; what now? Refunds, reticketing, validity issues. [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Have four tickets to Maui and family matters have come up that will not allow us go. If I cancel the flight am I out the entire cost of the tickets or can I use the some of what I paid for the tickets for a future flight? These are non-refundable coach tickets that I was going to try to upgrade with miles and cash later. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
What do the fare rules for your ticket say? More than likely you will lose $150/ticket, but the fare rules will know for sure. The remaining value will have to be used within 1 year.

If it is not very soon, wait. If there is a schedule change you may be able to get them to refund the full price. But make sure to do the cancellation prior to the time of the first flight, or you will lose it all.

Cheers.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
What do the fare rules for your ticket say? More than likely you will lose $150/ticket, but the fare rules will know for sure. The remaining value will have to be used within 1 year.

If it is not very soon, wait. If there is a schedule change you may be able to get them to refund the full price. But make sure to do the cancellation prior to the time of the first flight, or you will lose it all.

Cheers.
It was like trying to read one long run on sentence.

I am pretty sure it said what you said about the $150/ticket. One more question. Since I purchased all four tickets on my credit card, after I cancel the tickets I can use the remaining balance for myself or my wife or anyone else? I don't have to use the balance in the names of the people for which they were originally ticketed? That's two questions isn't it? Wait that three!

Thanks again for your help as I am out a decent chunk of change.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I would wait till the last possible day to cancel those tickets.
My husband often has to change travel plans, but he always buys the least expensive tickets. Even with the $150 change fee, he comes out ahead. But often, there is a schedule change which will allow you to get your money back. It doesn't have to be a huge change, a couple of hours usually is sufficient.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
cancel before the flight time.....keep the ticket confirm w/ the ticket numbers....the amt you paid will be available for a year to use on new tickets....the credit will be for the name on each ticket....there is a $150 fee/ticket when you buy the new tickets....if there is money left, a voucher is sent for the remainder.....my wife and i did this w/ tickets we had to cancel last xmas....we have flown on tickets bought w/the money left after the fee and also have vouchers for ~ $25 ea left....

as far as i know this policy is still the same....good luck...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Wait till the last possible time to cancel, in hope of there may be schedule change that is long enough (I believe 90 min for domestic flights) that warrants a refund with fee waived. The refund will go back to the original form of payment, in this case, it is your credit card that paid for all 4 tickets.

But you MUST cancel BEFORE the flight (better yet, to do it the day before to avoid snafu). Else you lose all the value.

2) If you cancel the tickets - the value of EACH ticket is stored in the ticket number (Not the PNR). The value minus the ticket change fee (most likely is $150 in your case) is good towards purchasing a new ticket within 1 year from the date of Original Purchase Date. (NOT the cancellation date, NOT the original travel date.) The new itinerary does not need to be within the 1 year window, but the purchase of the new ticket MUST happen before the 1 year window is up.

The first purchase using a cancelled ticket credit, must be in the original passenger's name. i.e. you cannot use your wife's cancelled ticket to buy ticket for you or anyone else.

3) After the deduction of the $150 and the purchase of a new ticket, if there is residual value, a residual value voucher will be issued in the original passenger's name. So you will have 4 vouchers for 4 tickets in 4 names if all 4 purchases have residual value.

4) The residual value voucher derived from 3), can be used to purchase ticket in anyone's name, PROVIDED the owner of the voucher, i.e. the person whose name is on the voucher, is PRESENT in person at ticketing.

It is not clear whether you can combine the residual value vouchers to purchase 1 ticket.

As recent as in March, the reticketing does not incur counter ticketing fee - you only pay the $150 ticket change fee which is directly deducted from the cancelled ticket value.

Subsequent reticketing from residual value voucher also does not incur counter ticketing fee.

Of course the last 2 statements can become invalid if and when AA changes its policy.

Hope the above outlines help you.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 28, 2009 at 9:15 pm
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
1) Wait till the last possible time to cancel, in hope of there may be schedule change that is long enough (I believe 90 min for domestic flights) that warrants a refund with fee waived. The refund will go back to the original form of payment, in this case, it is your credit card that paid for all 4 tickets.

But you MUST cancel BEFORE the flight (better yet, to do it the day before to avoid snafu). Else you lose all the value.

2) If you cancel the tickets - the value of EACH ticket is stored in the ticket number (Not the PNR). The value minus the ticket change fee (most likely is $150 in your case) is good towards purchasing a new ticket within 1 year from the date of Original Purchase Date. (NOT the cancellation date, NOT the original travel date.) The new itinerary does not need to be within the 1 year window, but the purchase of the new ticket MUST happen before the 1 year window is up.

The first purchase using a cancelled ticket credit, must be in the original passenger's name. i.e. you cannot use your wife's cancelled ticket to buy ticket for you or anyone else.

3) After the deduction of the $150 and the purchase of a new ticket, if there is residual value, a residual value voucher will be issued in the original passenger's name. So you will have 4 vouchers for 4 tickets in 4 names if all 4 purchases have residual value.

4) The residual value voucher derived from 3), can be used to purchase ticket in anyone's name, PROVIDED the owner of the voucher, i.e. the person whose name is on the voucher, is PRESENT in person at ticketing.

It is not clear whether you can combine the residual value vouchers to purchase 1 ticket.

As recent as in March, the reticketing does not incur counter ticketing fee - you only pay the $150 ticket change fee which is directly deducted from the cancelled ticket value.

Subsequent reticketing from residual value voucher also does not incur counter ticketing fee.

Of course the last 2 statements can become invalid if and when AA changes its policy.

Hope the above outlines help you.
If only the fare rules had been that clear. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:26 am

1) . . . 2) If you cancel the tickets - the value of EACH ticket is stored in the ticket number (Not the PNR). The value minus the ticket change fee (most likely is $150 in your case) is good towards purchasing a new ticket within 1 year from the date of Original Purchase Date. (NOT the cancellation date, NOT the original travel date.) The new itinerary does not need to be within the 1 year window, but the purchase of the new ticket MUST happen before the 1 year window is up. . . .
I think the timing may be more limited than you stated. According to the AA website: "Travel on such reissued tickets [i.e., those issued with the credit from the cancelled nonrefundable ticket] (or subsequently reissued tickets) must commence no later than one year from the date of issue of the original ticket. . . . All travel on such reissued tickets (or subsequently reissued tickets) must be completed no more than one year from the first date of travel on the original ticket or sooner if required by the tickets' fare rules."

Of course, AA may not enforce this limitation, but it is better to be prepared with replacement itinerary that meets the stated requirements. -- Suzanne
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:25 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks to all for the info - I've added it and a link to this thread to the FAQ entry on:

• How do I change or cancel my reservation?

I'll continue to follow this thread for a resolution of the timing issue, but the AA Refund FAQ (already linked from our FAQ entry) does, indeed, indicate that travel must commence within one year of the original issue date.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
I think the timing may be more limited than you stated. According to the AA website: "Travel on such reissued tickets [i.e., those issued with the credit from the cancelled nonrefundable ticket] (or subsequently reissued tickets) must commence no later than one year from the date of issue of the original ticket. . . . All travel on such reissued tickets (or subsequently reissued tickets) must be completed no more than one year from the first date of travel on the original ticket or sooner if required by the tickets' fare rules."

Of course, AA may not enforce this limitation, but it is better to be prepared with replacement itinerary that meets the stated requirements. -- Suzanne
They enforced this limitation with me last week for a ticket that I bought last October 15. It's a good thing that I called, because other airlines have a more flexible policy in that you need to rebook within one year, and can travel up to a year or so after that. I would have been hosed had I waited until shortly before the deadline to make a new reservation.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO

In this case, there might be a change of policy since my last booking done in this way. A few months I booked a ticket to travel 2 months AFTER my cancelled e-ticket expired and was ticketed without any issue. Got a new residual voucher with a new expiration date 1 year out as well. Travel has since finished w/o any hint about invalid.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 29, 2009 at 2:42 pm Reason: correct typo
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:07 pm

In this case, there might be a change of policy since my last booking in this way. A few months I booked a ticket to travel 2 months AFTER my voucher expired and was ticketed without any issue. Got a new residual voucher with a new expiration date 1 year out as well. Travel has since finished w/o any hint about invalid.
You're comparing apples and oranges. E-tkt credits need to be reissued and travel commence 1 year from original issue dates. Vouchers also expire 1 year from issue date but only have to redeemed before expiration, with travel commencing at anytime.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdog02
You're comparing apples and oranges. E-tkt credits need to be reissued and travel commence 1 year from original issue dates. Vouchers also expire 1 year from issue date but only have to redeemed before expiration, with travel commencing at anytime.
Nope. I am saying my FIRST rebooking against a cancelled E-Ticket, was made for a trip AFTER the 1 year mark of the original e-ticket's ticketing date.

The timeline was, E-ticket was issued in July. Rebooking for a new trip was made in June next year, for travel in Sept - that was 2 months AFTER the ticketing date of the original E-Ticket. Note: the rebooking was made PRIOR the 1 year mark, but the actual travel did not commence until 2 months AFTER the 1 year mark. A voucher was then issued on the residual value.

Subsequently, the voucher was used again to book another trip. That also generated a new voucher with new expiration date 1 year out.

The above does not match with what AA website languages said, that ANY subsequent tickets from a cancelled e-ticket, must finish travels within the 1 year mark from the original e-ticket date.

Is that still Apple to Orange to you?

Last edited by Happy; Jul 29, 2009 at 2:40 pm Reason: adding more precise information
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:35 pm

In this case, there might be a change of policy since my last booking done in this way. A few months I booked a ticket to travel 2 months AFTER my voucher expired and was ticketed without any issue. Got a new residual voucher with a new expiration date 1 year out as well. Travel has since finished w/o any hint about invalid.
Nope. I am saying my FIRST rebooking against a cancelled E-Ticket, was made for a trip AFTER the original e-ticket's ticketing date.

The timeline was, E-ticket was issued in July. Rebooking for a new trip was made in June next year, for travel in Sept - that was 2 months AFTER the ticketing date of the original E-Ticket. Note: the rebooking was made PRIOR the 1 year mark, but the actual travel did not commence until 2 months AFTER the 1 year mark. A voucher was then issued on the residual value.

Subsequently, the voucher was used again to book another trip. That also generated a new voucher with new expiration date 1 year out.

The above does not match with what AA website languages said, that ANY subsequent tickets from a cancelled e-ticket, must finish travels within the 1 year mark from the original e-ticket date.

Is that still Apple to Orange to you?
See the highlights, your first post stated a voucher, the second an E-Ticket. Looked like apples to oranges to me, but what do I know.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA
Newbie refund question (canceling a non-ref ticket)

Dear wise AA folk, may I ask for your indulgence to help a newbie from the UK! (I have checked the FAQ)

I am about to book a pair of tickets MIA-SJO in July of this year. It's an extension of a LHR-MIA redemption on BA (the BA Amex 2-4-1 rules won't allow me to add the MIA-SJO sector).

There is an outside chance that work will mean I have to cancel the trip.

In Europe, I would have two choice, buy a flexible ticket and get a refund if necessary or buy a non-refundable ticket and live with the loss.

From what I can see, AA are a little more sensible and will allow me to buy a non-refundable ticket and cancel the reservation which in turn will create a travel credit. My questions are these:

i) Do I need a particular reason to cancel?

ii) If I cancel, I will end up with two credits which are valid for a year that are non transferable

iii) I can use the credits for a UK-US ticket instead, I am not tied to a particular route or region?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by baggageinhall; Jan 23, 2010 at 5:01 pm Reason: Added the word 'reason' to sub i) above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.