Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Frequently Asked Questions: American Airlines and AAdvantage
Please check here first: resources, thread links, etc.

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Please do NOT post your individual questions here.
This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:46 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
New entry: Upgrading award tickets

Originally Posted by dstan
• Can I upgrade an Award ticket?

Passengers traveling on Award tickets are not eligible to use 500-mile electronic upgrades (stickers), systemwide upgrades (SWU, eVIP), or Award Upgrades (miles + copay). However, these passengers may be offered the opportunity to purchase an upgrade (LFBU) when checking in at an airport kiosk.

In addition, it is possible to convert an Economy Award to a new Business or First Award for the appropriate number of additional miles without incurring a redeposit fee. However, the awards must be in the same category (MileSAAver vs. AAnytime).

FT: How to upgrade Award tickets?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

New entry: AA.com username and password remembering

• How can I get AA.com to remember my AAdvantage number and password?

Currently, AA.com only offers a checkbox that will enable the website to remember your AAdvantage number on the next login only. You will need to select the checkbox each time you log in and, as of several years ago, the website no longer allows password remembering features that are built into many browsers.

There is a workaround for the browser-based account number and password remembering issue, involving the installation of a Greasemonkey script for Firefox called “Allow Password Remembering”. Note that use of this workaround is at the individual’s own risk and is not supported or endorsed by AA or FlyerTalk! Of course, it is not recommended for use on public and/or shared computers.

FT: AA.com Website: Glitch, bug, fix reports and more (consolidated)
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Update: FAQ Intro

The OP has been updated with a link to the Newbie Lounge and an important Technical Note about malfunctioning links from the OP.

Welcome to the American Airlines Forum! If your question is not answered in this FAQ, please try the following key resources prior to posting your question in the forum:
Newcomers: Please Read First! – Important tips for new members! See also the new AA Newbie Lounge!

FlyerGuide AA Wiki – Central resource with detailed information about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program, created and maintained by members of the AA Forum.

AA Help Desk – Can’t figure it out yourself? Try these concierge services provided by members of the AA Forum for questions about Lounge Access Rules, Elite Status Challenges, AA Miles and Points, and Award Travel.

AA Forum Unofficial User’s Guide Thread List – An archival, but still useful list of important threads in the AA Forum.

Search the AA Forum – Your question has probably been asked before, so try searching for a previous thread on the topic!

• The Wiki Supplemental AA Forum Glossary - This is for those who nay be baffled by the frequent abbreviations and acronyms some may use - and in this thread here.
[/INDENT]
If you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. Please do NOT post your individual questions here. This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Technical notes: For technical reasons due to the growth of this FAQ, posts in the thread may not appear in the order shown below. In addition, if a link below leads you incorrectly to the top of a page, above the first post on that page, please check the bottom of the preceding page for the correct entry.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Update: DEL Kingfisher lounge now open

• Will I have lounge access on my itinerary?

<snip>

FT: DEL / New Delhi T3 IT / Kingfisher Lounge (Opened Jan 2011) (consolidated)
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Update: 762, some 763 powerports to be disabled

• Will my seat have a powerport and what kind of plug do I need?

<snip>

DC powerports on domestic 757-223 (752) aircraft have been disabled since September 1, 2010 due to an undisclosed problem. DC powerports are also being disabled in all cabins of 767-223 (762) aircraft and in a portion of the coach cabin of 767-323 (763) aircraft as of January 15, 2010. No timeframes have been given for reactivation for 767s, remediation of 12 VDC and /or upgrades to 110 VAC as they are refurbished in 757s begins summer 2011 and is to take about one year.

<snip>

FT: Powerports on Domestic 757 Disabled Sep 1, 2010
FT: Powerports on 762, part of 763 Disabled Jan 15, 2011

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 10, 2011 at 6:58 pm
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Update: 'New' Food and Beverages wiki page

Formerly a section on the Planes and Seats page, Food and Beverages has now been separated out into a page of its own.

• Will there be food and beverages available on my flight?

<snip>

Wiki: Food and Beverages
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

New entry: Lounge thread master list now a separate entry

The master thread list has now been split out from the lounge access entry to a separate entry of its own:

• Will I have lounge access on my itinerary?

<snip>
• Where can I find more information about a specific lounge?

General information, such as locations, hours of operation, and amenities, for AA Admirals Club, Flagship, and Arrivals lounges is available on AA.com. The oneworld website also has locations and hours for all oneworld lounges. The FlyerGuide wiki Lounges page contains access rules for some non-AA premium lounges, such as Qantas Clubs and contract lounges.

For detailed information about a specific lounge, see the appropriate FlyerTalk thread below.

Wiki: Lounges
AA.com: Admirals Club | Flagship and Arrivals Lounges
oneworld.com: Lounge Access

Master List of Lounge Threads
<snip>
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Update: JGR01's compensation spreadsheet added

• How do I request compensation for a problem or compliment an AA employee?

<snip>

FT: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated) [AA Guide to Compensation.xls (2003–2007 by JGR01)]

Last edited by dstan; Jan 19, 2011 at 3:29 pm
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Update: McFlyPHL, brp Mileage spreadsheets, bniu iPhone App added

• How are miles and points calculated?

<snip>

To make things a bit easier, FlyerTalk member McFlyPHL has created a Excel spreadsheet for tracking AAdvantage miles and points, and another version includes some enhancements by member brp:FlyerTalk member bniu has also recently created an iPhone App for these calculations.

Last edited by dstan; Jan 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Update: No more change fee waivers for serious illness

As reported recently on TravelingBetter: http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=4729

• How do I change or cancel my reservation?

<snip>

After that, changes or cancellations to non-refundable fares will require payment of a change fee, which is published in the fare rule (usually $150 for domestic fares, $250-275 for international fares). Fare rules usually grant fee waivers for death of a passenger or traveling companion (domestic or international), but no longer for serious illness of a passenger or traveling companion. Residual value from canceled tickets is recorded by ticket number and must be applied to the purchase of a new ticket for the same passenger for travel within one year of the original ticketing date. Any remaining value will be refunded in the form of a voucher.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Updated: Added info on companion upgrades

• How does the upgrade waitlist work?

<snip>

Elites requesting a companion upgrade will have their status applied to both passengers, but will, by default, only clear if both upgrades become available simultaneously, and may be passed over if only one upgrade inventory slot becomes available. This ‘no-split’ designation can be removed manually by calling AA Reservations, however, this also removes the linking of the elite member’s status to the companion.

<snip>

FT: Companion upgrades - linking and splitting of elite status and PNRs (consolidated)
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Update: Removed old promos; added enrollment bonus link to same entry

• Does anyone have a discount or promotion code? / Are there any AAdvantage enrollment bonuses available?

Proprietary discount codes, including DealFinder codes, should not be requested or posted in the AA Forum, and such posts will be deleted by the moderators. However, purchasing a 2011 Entertainment Book will give you a fixed $10 discount, $20 discount from certain cities, and 5% off an AA Vacations. The Entertainment Book offers a free 14-day online trial that provides access to the 2010 AA Vacations discount as well as printable coupons for rental car agencies and other vendors. (Student Advantage has previously offered a discount for travel on AA in Aug–Dec 2010, but does not currently offer this discount.)

A current list of public bonus offers can always be found listed on AA.com.

Any current enrollment offers are discussed in the FlyerTalk thread below.

AA.com: Bonus Offers
FT: AAdvantage Enrollment Bonuses
FT: 2011 Entertainment Book
FT: 2010 Entertainment Book
FT: 2010 Student Advantage Discount (travel 8/16-12/16/2010; purchase 7/1-9/30/2010)

FT: Gogo Inflight Wifi Discounts
FT: Admirals Club Discounts (general)

Last edited by dstan; Jan 24, 2011 at 10:52 am
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Update: Minimum mileage guarantee - AA.com link

• How are miles and points calculated?

<snip>

AA.com: 2009 Changes to Minimum Mileage Guarantee
The above link used to point to a different page describing the 2009 changes. That's now gone, however, the residual FAQ page is still there and contains the relevant info.

Thanks to CRAZYBUBBA for the heads up! ^
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
• Will I have to pay any fees to make, change, or upgrade my reservation?
Changes or cancellations (reinstatement of miles) to AAdvantage Awards incur a $150 service charge. EXP members are exempt from these reinstatement service charges.
According to an AA CSR that I just spoke with, there is no change fee (even for non-elites) for date and time changes on Award travel, assuming an award ticket costing the same number of AAdvantage miles is available for the new date and time.

She said there is a $150 change fee for date and time changes for paid (Coach) travel, plus any difference in cost of ticket.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
According to an AA CSR that I just spoke with, there is no change fee (even for non-elites) for date and time changes on Award travel, assuming an award ticket costing the same number of AAdvantage miles is available for the new date and time.

She said there is a $150 change fee for date and time changes for paid (Coach) travel, plus any difference in cost of ticket.
Good catch - AA.com states that the $150 is only when changing origin or destination, and only for MileSAAver Awards, not for AAnytime Awards.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...#changeTickets
Changing Flight Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)
A $150 USD charge (subject to change without notice) will apply for a confirmed change to an eligible origin or destination on a MileSAAver award. Changes to an eligible origin or destination on AAnytime awards are allowed at no charge.

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued.

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.
Will get that fixed - thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.