Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Frequently Asked Questions: American Airlines and AAdvantage
Please check here first: resources, thread links, etc.

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Please do NOT post your individual questions here.
This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:41 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Quick question. I will be flying into ORD on an overnight flight with UA. I will be then departing on a UA connection. I will be have a need for a shower.

Will I have an issue getting into the AC with my membership card and only ID (no BP on AA since I will be on UA)?

Thanks
Please post your question in the Lounge Access Help Desk thread - this thread is reserved for discussion of the FAQ, as noted in the OP. Thanks.

P.S. The post has now been relocated to the Lounge Access Help Desk thread. -JDiver

Originally Posted by dstan
Please do NOT post questions here. This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm Reason: add postscript
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Update: Corrected grace window from 50 to 51 mi

• How many 500-mile upgrades / stickers do I need?

Each increment of up to 500 miles for a given flight segment requires the use one 500-mile upgrade. Thus, a 1100-mile flight requires three 500-mile upgrades. AA does provide an unofficial ‘grace window’ of 51 miles on the total mileage, so a 1051-mile flight will only require two 500-mile upgrades. EXP upgrades are complimentary and do not require 500-mile upgrades
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United, Delta, Eva.
Forgive me if this is not a proper question for this thread. I will miss meeting the requirements for PLT this year. I have 120, 500 mile upgrades that I will never use since my travel is mostly international. Does anyone know if AA has ever allowed anyone to trade the upgrades for equivelant miles to requalify for status?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cjpark
Forgive me if this is not a proper question for this thread. I will miss meeting the requirements for PLT this year. I have 120, 500 mile upgrades that I will never use since my travel is mostly international. Does anyone know if AA has ever allowed anyone to trade the upgrades for equivelant miles to requalify for status?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, cjpark! The proper venue for your question is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Please repost it there and I'll remove these posts.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Menu Reorganization & Preferred seats

I've updated the menu in the first post to break things down more - hopefully this will make it easier for people to find what they're looking for.

Also, I inadvertently created two entries regarding preferred seats - they have now been consolidated in the older post below and the newer post has been deleted:

• What are Preferred seats?

Preferred seats include all exit row seats, and certain window and aisle seats toward the front of each aircraft. The exact number and location of Preferred seats varies depending on the aircraft, flight, and day of week. While preferred seats do not necessarily have any more legroom than standard seats, some exit row seats and MD-80 seats forward of the exit rows do have extra legroom. Also, because those eligible for Preferred seats also receive PriorityAAccess boarding, they can both board first and deplane first from seats near the front of the aircraft.

Preferred seats are available for advance reservation only by AAdvantage elite members, AAirpass members, and full fare passengers (Y, B). Available Preferred seats are shaded in purple on AA.com seat maps, although occupied Preferred seats are not designated. All Preferred seats are released for general assignment when the flight transfers to airport control on the day of departure.

AA.com: View Available Seats
AA.com: Special Assistance: Prereserved Seating
FT: Preferred seat - what does it mean?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Update: Miles for AA flights posting faster (old news)

• How long does it take for miles and points to post to my account?

Miles and points for AA flights generally post to your account within 24 hours after a flight. Previously, it took 2-3 days for AA flights to post, and this new system was phased in beginning in May 2010.

<snip>

FT: Miles now posting right away (May 2010, phasing in)
Thanks to MichaelColey for catching this one!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Update: ORD FL renovation thread added

• Will I have lounge access on my itinerary?

FT: ORD / Chicago O'Hare Flagship Lounge Renovations (Nov 2010)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by New England Traveler
Hello,

Looking to sign up 2 friends who are not AAdvantage members currently. They both recently flew 2 AA flights and are eligible for credit. I asked them to hold off signing up in case I can get a referral bonus. Do you know if there is currently one out there? Anyone know if there will be one soon? I believe they have 6 monhts in order to claim past mileage credit...

Thanks!
Hello New England Traveler,

As noted several times by one of our moderators (and in the OP of this FAQ thread): "Please do NOT post questions here. This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation."

There is a consolidated thread that is more appropriate for your question, IMO: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

I've alerted the mods for possible merge/movement of your question to the appropriate thread.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Indeed - and the post has been moved to that thread for member responses. Thanks!

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Hello New England Traveler,

As noted several times by one of our moderators (and in the OP of this FAQ thread): "Please do NOT post questions here. This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation."

There is a consolidated thread that is more appropriate for your question, IMO: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

I've alerted the mods for possible merge/movement of your question to the appropriate thread.
(My emphasis above.)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Update: How much is a mile worth?

Some additional recent analyses:

• Should I use my miles for an award? / How much is an AAdvantage mile worth?

<snip>

For a detailed analysis of multiple programs by BoardingArea.com blogger Ben Schlappig, see:
InsideFlyer August 2010: The Value of a Point or Mile

For Randy Petersen's take on this question, see these articles:
InsideFlyer October 2010: Opening Remarks
CreditCards.com: Using frequent flier miles on a tax-deductible trip
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:18 am

• How can I qualify for AA elite status?

AAdvantage members can qualify for elite status annually based on calendar year butt-in-seat elite-qualifying miles (25K / 50K / 100K), elite-qualifying points (25K / 50K / 100K), or elite-qualifying segments (30 / 60 / 100). All fares on AA earn 100% elite-qualifying miles, 50–150% elite-qualifying points, and 100% elite-qualifying segments, except O fares between North America and Latin America (Central and South America excluding Mexico). Flights on oneworld partner airlines and Alaska Airlines also earn elite-qualifying miles, points, and segments, but may be subject to various fare restrictions and multipliers. Flights on other partner airlines do not earn elite-qualifying miles, points, or segments. Non-flying miles (credit card, dining, etc.) do not count toward annual elite status qualification but do count toward Lifetime Status.

AA is currently running a Triple Elite-Qualifying Miles promotion for LGA-ORD, ORD-LGA, LGA-BOS, and BOS-LGA flight segments ONLY (NYTPL) from Jun 14–Aug 31, 2010. AA is also currently running a Double Elite-Qualfiying Miles promoting for itineraries originating and terminating at BNA, PIT, RDU, and STL from Jul 2–Dec 31, 2010. AA ran systemwide Double Elite-Qualifying Miles promotions from Sep 2–Dec 15, 2009 (DBLEQ) and Mar 18–Jun 15, 2009 (DBEQM).

Wiki: Elite Status
AA.com: Elite Qualification Requirements
FT: NYTPL: Triple EQM LGA-ORD and LGA-BOS
FT: BNATD, PITTD, RDUTD,STLTD Double EQM
Does this post need updating? I see from AA.com that Deep Discount Fares only earn 0.50 EQMs instead of 1.00 EQMs now.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Your post was hidden in the moderation queue due to having web page links included in a very early / first post as part of FT's Spam prevention.

That is an incorrect interpretation - the charts here and here show the discounted fares that earn miles earn 100% EQM, but they only earn 0.5 / 50% EQP (Elite Qualifying Points), as usual.

Originally Posted by jgor123
Does this post need updating? I see from AA.com that Deep Discount Fares only earn 0.50 EQMs instead of 1.00 EQMs now.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Welcome jgor123! Yes, as JDiver noted, be sure you know the difference between EQM and EQP!

• How are miles and points calculated?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

New entry: Held reservation price guarantee

• How long can I hold a reservation at a guaranteed price?

Reservations made on AA.com can be held at the current price without payment for a limited time to allow passengers to verify their travel plans and/or monitor price changes. The publicized guarantee is “up to 24 hours”, however, in practice, the hold is valid until 11:59 pm local time on the following day, and this is consistent with the AA Conditions of Carriage, which state: “When you make a telephone reservation with American Airlines or when you make a reservation via AA.com, the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. Central Time the following day, whichever allows you more time. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary within this time-frame, the ticket price may change.”

An important caveat is that if the fare rule expires during that time, the hold will no longer be valid and will automatically reprice. Fares are often structured with advance purchase requirements at 3, 7, 14, or 21 days prior to departure. Reservations including segments marketed by other carriers (non-AA flight number) cannot be placed on hold and must be purchased immediately, although reservations including AA codeshare flights operated by other carriers are eligible for hold.

If you find that AA.com reprices your held reservation when attempting to purchase, and you are sure that the fare rule is still valid, a telephone call to AA Web Services may resolve the problem.

Note that held reservations do remove slots from fare inventory and hold specific seats on seatmaps. The inventory and seats are released automatically when the held reservation is canceled.

AA.com: Hold Your Reservation | Conditions of Carriage: Lowest Fare Availability/Guarantee
FT: Hold / Held Reservation Guarantee - 24 hours or midnight? (consolidated)

Last edited by dstan; Dec 3, 2010 at 7:03 pm
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Update: LASF2

• How can I qualify for AA elite status?

<snip>

AA is currently running a Double Elite-Qualfiying Miles promotion for itineraries originating and terminating at BNA, PIT, RDU, and STL from Jul 2–Dec 31, 2010 (BNATD, PITTD, RDUTD, STLTD). AA is also running a Double Elite-Qualifying Miles promotion for DFW-SFO or DFW-LAX segments that are part of a roundtrip itinerary (both directions required; AUS-DFW-SFO-DFW-AUS and LGA-DFW-SFO-DFW-LGA have been reported as eligible) from Nov 29, 2010 – Feb 28, 2011 (LASF2).

AA ran a Triple Elite-Qualifying Miles promotion for LGA-ORD, ORD-LGA, LGA-BOS, and BOS-LGA flight segments ONLY (NYTPL) from Jun 14–Aug 31, 2010. AA ran systemwide Double Elite-Qualifying Miles promotions from Sep 2–Dec 15, 2009 (DBLEQ) and Mar 18–Jun 15, 2009 (DBEQM).

Wiki: Elite Status
AA.com: Elite Qualification Requirements
FT: BNATD, PITTD, RDUTD, STLTD: Double EQM on originating/terminating itineraries
FT: LASF2: Double EQM on DFW-LAX and DFW-SFO roundtrip itineraries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.