Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Frequently Asked Questions: American Airlines and AAdvantage
Please check here first: resources, thread links, etc.

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Please do NOT post your individual questions here.
This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:44 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thread link added:

Originally Posted by dstan
• Can I standby for a different flight?
<snip>
FT: No Standby on International Flights (consolidated)
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Updates:

• How can I upgrade on AA?
<snip>
500-mile Upgrades (stickers / EXP)
These can be requested by elites and full-fare passengers on AA flights within North America, the Caribbean, and Central America at the time of booking. These upgrades are only valid from Economy to the next class of service and cannot be used to upgrade from Business to First on 3-class flights. Requests can be made via the online reservation page, or by phone with an AA agent. Sticker/EXP upgrades may clear at any time between the beginning of the appropriate elite upgrade window prior to departure (EXP 100 hrs, PLT 72 hrs, GLD 24 hrs, non-status 24 hrs) and the departure of the aircraft (‘battlefield upgrade’). Upgrades for EXP, as well as other elites traveling on full-fare economy tickets, are free. In all other cases, upgrades require an appropriate number of 500-mile electronic upgrades (also called stickers). All fares are eligible for 500-mile upgrades by elites, while non-elites must be booked in Y or B to use 500-mile upgrades when traveling alone. Elites can request an upgrade for one companion traveling on the same flight (not necessarily the same itinerary or reservation). As of Jul 2009, if both passengers are elites, 500-mile upgrades will be debited separately from each member’s account. (Previously, the default was to debit the upgrades from the requestor’s account, which could be overridden at the airport by asking an agent to remove the ADC code on the Passenger Item List after the upgrade had cleared.)

Upgrades to First Class book into X inventory and upgrades to Business Class book into R inventory, which are not publicly available but can be monitored within 24 hours of departure time by using ExpertFlyer, a subscription service that also offers a free 5-day trial.

Wiki: Upgrades: EXP and 500-Mile Upgrades
AA.com: 500-mile and Complimentary Elite Upgrades
FT: 500-Mile upgrades / stickers pulled separately for elites traveling together
FT: Use of 500-mile upgrades / stickers by non-elites (consolidated)
FT: Requesting prorated stickers after the end of February (consolidated)
FT: How to deduct stickers from separate accounts (removing the ADC code) (historical interest only)
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

New entry:

• What are preferred seats?

AA reserves a certain number of seats on each flight that can only be reserved at the time of booking by
by elites, AAirpass members, and full fare (Y/B) passengers. These often include exit row seats and aisle and window seats near the front of the cabin, and the number can vary for every flight. These seats are generally released for selection by all passengers when online checkin begins, 24 hours prior to departure. Additional seats, including bulkhead seats, may be reserved for 'airport control' and cannot be prereserved online, although passengers with disabilities may request bulkhead seats by calling AA Reservations at 1-800-433-7300.

AA.com: View Available Seats
AA.com: Special Assistance: Prereserved Seating
FT: Preferred seat - what does it mean?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

New entry (that's it for now, I'm tired!):

• Will there be food and beverages available on my flight?

AA provides complimentary non-alcoholic beverages in all cabins on all flights. Alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, mixed drinks) are also complimentary in First and Business, and are available for purchase in Economy at $6 per drink on all flights.

On longhaul international flights (to/from Asia, Europe, South America, and NYC-Haiti) complimentary meals are provided in all cabins. On other flights, complimentary meals or snacks are generally provided in First and Business and available for purchase in Economy. Meal orders in First and Business are taken based on FEBO (Front Even / Back Odd), but service is always generally front-to-back. EXP elites traveling in Coach on any flight and PLT elites traveling on American Eagle or American Connection are entitled to a free shelf-stable snack and alcoholic beverage.

Special meals are available on transcontinental flights in First and Business and on international flights in all classes and must be pre-ordered at least 24 hours in advance by calling AA Reservations.

As of June 1, 2009, AA accepts payment by credit card only on mainline flights and by cash only on American Eagle and American Connection flights.

Wiki: Planes and Seats: Food and Beverages
AA.com: Dining | Meal Service | Beverages | Special Meals
FT: 'Traditional meal times' on AA
FT: Free snack / drink for PLT/EXP on American Eagle
FT: Free snack / drink for EXP in mainline Economy
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Suggestion:

• How quickly do eVIPs / SWU post to my account after (re)qualifying EXP
This thread may assist: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-upgrades.html

Last edited by serfty; Dec 17, 2009 at 5:06 pm
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by serfty

Do these post with a successful Platinum Challenge?
I don't undestand what you are asking (or suggesting). One does not earn any eVIPS (SWUs) for completing a Platinum Challenge.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Originally Posted by musicbizwiz
actually, an IM program such as apple's "ichat" works perfectly on the gogo network. i was actually surprised to find that the bandwidth is sufficient enough for me to do a video connection with my office (though this is prohibited in the gogo terms of service.) i have no doubt that i could have easily used ichat for voip as well.

i think it's important to respect the "private space" of those flyers around me, so i'm always careful to limit cell calls or conversations. but i have found that on multiple occasions, i've carried on IM conversations (via text, not voice) with multiple clients around the world, traded files (including large audio and video files) and generally conducted the same kind of business on the plane that i would in my office.
Thank you, musicbizwiz, for respecting the "private space" of others. My mother, for one, taught me to consider "privatizing the public space" to be a serious breach of etiquette.

I haven't ever searched FT for threads on this topic, but perhaps you (or I) could start one.

Thanks, dstan, for your tremendous effort in compiling this informative wiki/sticky/etc. I appreciate it!
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I don't undestand what you are asking (or suggesting). One does not earn any eVIPS (SWUs) for completing a Platinum Challenge.
Forget Platinum challenges then ...
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Thanks! Will add it to the to-do list.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

A few updates

• How are miles and points calculated?
<...>
FT: Help Desk: AA Miles and Points Math
• Will I have lounge access on my itinerary?
<...>
FT: Help Desk: Will I Have Lounge Access?
• How many 500-mile upgrades / stickers do I need?
<...>
Elites can request an upgrade for one companion traveling on the same flight (not necessarily the same itinerary or reservation). As of Jul 2009, if both passengers are elites, 500-mile upgrades will be debited separately from each member’s account. (Previously, the default was to debit the upgrades from the requestor’s account, which could be overridden at the airport by asking an agent to remove the ADC code on the Passenger Item List after the upgrade had cleared.)
<...>
FT: 500-Mile upgrades / stickers pulled separately for elites traveling together
The last is just copied over from the main Upgrades entry.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thread links updated:

• I just missed requalifying, will AA make any exceptions or can I buy back status?
<...>
Wiki: Elite Status: Buyback
AA.com: Elite Status Buyback: An Exclusive AAdvantage Special Offer
FT: 2010 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (consolidated)
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Student Advantage discount & thread added

• Does anyone have a discount or promotion code?
<...>
Student Advantage is also offering members a 10% discount valid for travel from Aug 16–Dec 16, 2010 and purchased between Jul 1–Sep 30, 2010.
<...>
FT: 2010 Student Advantage Discount (travel 8/16-12/16/2010; purchase 7/1-9/30/2010)

Last edited by dstan; Mar 15, 2010 at 3:24 pm
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Century in the Making promo added

• Does anyone have a discount or promotion code?
<...>
From March to September 2010, AA is running a Century in the Making promotion that provides 10% discount codes valid during four separate travel periods.
<...>
FT: 2010 Century in the Making Promotion (four travel periods Mar-Sep 2010)

Last edited by dstan; Mar 15, 2010 at 3:35 pm Reason: fixed link to promo thread
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade, checked bag fee updates

• How can I upgrade on AA?
<...>
500-mile Upgrades (stickers / EXP)
<...>
Note that schedule changes resulting in a flight number change will result in upgrade requests being dropped. The upgrade requests can be restored to the original date/time by calling AA Reservations.
<...>
FT: 500-Mile upgrade / sticker protocols (2009, consolidated)
• How does the upgrade waitlist work?
<...>
Elites requesting a companion upgrade will, by default, only clear if both upgrades become available simultaneously, and may be passed over if only one upgrade inventory slot becomes available. This ‘no-split’ designation can be removed manually by calling AA Reservations.
:-: Please let me know if there is a good thread to link and/or more information necessary on the above. Specifically, does splitting still work for an elite traveling with a non-status companion?

• Will I have to pay baggage fees?
<...>
Fees for travel between Canada and the U.S., Puerto Rico, and U. S. Virgin Islands, for the first and second checked bag each way are as follows:

• Purchsed on/before Mar 28, 2010: $15 / $25
  • Purchased on/after Mar 29, 2010: $25 / $35 [AA.com Link]
<...>
FT: AA increases Canada checked bag fees (Mar 2010)
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade priority

• How does the upgrade waitlist work?
<...>
1) Elite status – EXP, PLT, GLD, non-status AAdvantage
2) Connecting status – passengers connecting from another flight receive higher priority
3) Fare class – passengers traveling on full Y/B fares receive higher priority over other fares
4) Time of upgrade request – when you click the ‘Request Upgrade’ box on AA.com
<...>
AA.com: 500-mile and EXP upgrades | EXP Upgrade Info | PLT Upgrade Info | GLD Upgrade Info
FT: Impact of Y & B Fares on EXP and 500-mile Sticker Upgrade Priority

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.