Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Frequently Asked Questions: American Airlines and AAdvantage
Please check here first: resources, thread links, etc.

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Please do NOT post your individual questions here.
This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2009, 3:11 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by brp
I'm not sure if something is in the works with regard to the existing Challenge thread, but it's no longer useful, IMO. I'd sent a PM to JDiver about this a few weeks back, and he said things were underfoot- and I assume that he was referring to this fantastic main thread. Kudos to you, dstan!

The challenge thread is so long and unwieldy, though, as to have little value. All of the answers are in there, they're just hard to find. I realize that it is a fair amount of work, but a streamlined thread would be more useful as a sticky, I think.
Thanks, brp. We'll bring it up for discussion again.
Old May 30, 2009, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a UA 1K MM who is weighing options, I just want to say this thread is excellent work by dstan.
Old May 30, 2009, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LessO2
As a UA 1K MM who is weighing options, I just want to say this thread is excellent work by dstan.
Thanks, LessO2!

Incidentally, since it might be relevant to you as a 1K, I've just edited the upgrade section to make it clear that EXPs receive complimentary domestic upgrades and do not need to use 500-mile upgrades / stickers.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by dstan
• How do I book award travel using my AAdvantage miles?

Your AAdvantage miles can be used for three different types of award tickets: AA Awards, All-Partner Awards, and oneworld Awards. AA and oneworld Awards can be booked online, while All-Partner Awards must be booked by telephone, usually incurring an additional service fee. [/URL]
is the bolded portion really true?
Old Jun 14, 2009, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
is the bolded portion really true?
I think so, but am not really familiar with or up-to-date on these awards. Please let me know if something needs to be changed:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/flight-in...your-itinerary

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...d-threads.html
Old Jun 14, 2009, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I think so, but am not really familiar with or up-to-date on these awards. Please let me know if something needs to be changed:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/flight-in...your-itinerary

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...d-threads.html
Your original post gave me the impression that awards on non-AA partners could be booked on aa.com which I hope will one day be possible.

If I am not mistakes, your link is for paid oneworld flights bookable on oneworld.com right?
Old Jun 14, 2009, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Your original post gave me the impression that awards on non-AA partners could be booked on aa.com which I hope will one day be possible.

If I am not mistakes, your link is for paid oneworld flights bookable on oneworld.com right?
I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it now, so as far as I can tell, you are right! I've updated that post - thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
ORC?

I was just searching this thread for ORC and "Original Routing Credit" to provide a link for a member,and didn't find a link here. That would be a good addition.

Cheers.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
I was just searching this thread for ORC and "Original Routing Credit" to provide a link for a member,and didn't find a link here. That would be a good addition.
Thanks - it's actually already there, but may have been easy to miss due to the wording, which I tried to target toward newer readers not familiar with the terminology:

• I was rerouted, can I still get my AA miles?

Searching the thread for "Original Routing Credit" does return that post for me - I will add ORC to the thread link title, though.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Just added:

Will I have to pay baggage fees?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

New additions:

How do I get through to AA on the phone?

What can I do with 500-mile upgrades / stickers I cannot use?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Updated with new information:

Will I have to pay baggage fees?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Updated with DBLEQ:

How can I qualify for AA elite status?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:20 pm

Reservations and Award Travel

• Does anyone have a discount or promotion code?

Proprietary discount codes, including DealFinder codes, should not be requested or posted in the AA Forum, and such posts will be deleted by the moderators. However, purchasing an Entertainment Book will give you immediate online access to a 5% discount code (blackout dates apply, expires at end of calendar year), and a second 5% discount code when your book arrives in the mail. A current list of public bonus offers can always be found listed on AA.com.

AA.com: Bonus Offers
FT: Gogo Inflight Wifi Discounts
FT: Admirals Club Discounts (2009 at select clubs) | Admirals Club Discounts (general)
I was told by a Supervisor in the CS department at Entertainment that the 2010 book no longer has a 5% discount code for AA. The only discount is for $10 off per ticket. This is contrary to the advertising on the entertainment.com site, which still shows the discount. Those with 2009 books can still get the 5% discount through the end of this year, subject to the black out dates. -- Suzanne
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
I was told by a Supervisor in the CS department at Entertainment that the 2010 book no longer has a 5% discount code for AA. The only discount is for $10 off per ticket. This is contrary to the advertising on the entertainment.com site, which still shows the discount. Those with 2009 books can still get the 5% discount through the end of this year, subject to the black out dates. -- Suzanne
Updated and added a thread link - thanks!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.