Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred seat? What does it mean? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
Preferred seat? What does it mean? (consolidated)

OK, I'm new to AA, I did a search and didn't find the answer to this (silly?) question:

What's a "preferred seat"?

According to AA.com:

** Preferred seats are available to AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, AAirpass members and all passengers holding tickets with a Y or B booking code

Yeah, but what's different when flying coach? Seat Guru doesn't even note these seats as better than others...And if you are Platinum, I think a "preferred seat" would not be in economy... So, please enlighten me.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Preferred seats are additional aisle and window seats at the front of the economy section reserved for elites as noted in your post. When non-elites book flights on aa.com, they cannot see the preferred seats and as such cannot pre-select them. It is AA's way of making sure that no matter when an elite books a flight, certain choice economy seats will be available to them -- unless of course the flight is so elite heavy that all of the preferred seats have been taken by other elites.

Log completely out of aa.com and then look at a seat map, you will see that none of the preferred seats are visible.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by starlanet
OK, I'm new to AA, I did a search and didn't find the answer to this (silly?) question:

What's a "preferred seat"?

According to AA.com:

** Preferred seats are available to AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, AAirpass members and all passengers holding tickets with a Y or B booking code

Yeah, but what's different when flying coach? Seat Guru doesn't even note these seats as better than others...And if you are Platinum, I think a "preferred seat" would not be in economy... So, please enlighten me.
Preferred seats are those toward the front of coach (and exit rows of course). While the reason why exit rows are preferred is pretty obvious, the only reason why the others are preferred is that you can get off the plane quicker upon landing.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:17 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
Preferred seats are those toward the front of coach (and exit rows of course). While the reason why exit rows are preferred is pretty obvious, the only reason why the others are preferred is that you can get off the plane quicker upon landing.
@:-) And get served first.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNL
If one is that thirsty, perhaps one should pound down a few in the terminal before boarding.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
^ Thank you very much for the answers.

I selected a window seat on a DFW-LAX flight (Boeing 757) and noticed rows 13, 14 and 15 were mostly preferred seats (mine is seat 15F). Also Seat Guru says that rows 13 and 14 are missing a window "not only is there no view, but the A/C is very loud". Plenty of seats still available. For another flight (LAX-JFK, 767-200) rows 22 to 27 are preferred seats, mine is 26J.
I didn't get to select the Alaska airlines seat though (YVR-LAX), and was assigned a seat towards the rear...26F (Boeing 734, 27 rows). Oh, well, at least this is a window seat.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 2:24 am
Suspended

Let's be honest. The preferred seat is bogus. There is nothing you get that imho is worthwhile. if you want a real "preferred" seat, you have to fly UA and get 5 extra inches of legroom. To me, that is worth it.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Let's be honest. The preferred seat is bogus. There is nothing you get that imho is worthwhile. if you want a real "preferred" seat, you have to fly UA and get 5 extra inches of legroom. To me, that is worth it.
and yet, not so relevant to non-elite Y and B flyers, who are ineligible for "up to" 5 inches in UA's E+.

Y and B flyers (along with elites) get access to Preferred seats to avoid the situation where they are stuck with only middle seats to choose from.

On AA the "preferred" zone is dynamic by flight, and could be just a few rows of coach toward the front, or almost all of them, windows and aisles at least....
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gemac
While the reason why exit rows are preferred is pretty obvious, the only reason why the others are preferred is that you can get off the plane quicker upon landing.
And the system can help those with status avoid getting a middle seat when buying a last-minute ticket.

Let's be honest. The preferred seat is bogus. There is nothing you get that imho is worthwhile.
I'd say getting an aisle seat near the front instead of a middle seat in the back is worthwhile. I'd "prefer" that any day, though obviously MRTC is a thing of the past and it's true there's no additional legroom, unless it's an exit row.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: EXP AA.
At the start of the year I was "plastic" with no prefered seating, and it was grim, the choice of seats I had sometimes, I was pretty glad to get Gold. (However, don't choose 20J on a TATL 767, it may be exit row, but I would prefer the middle of a back row of 5 on a 777 than sit in that one again. Nowhere for feet, and no recline, = 8 hours of misery.)

Cheers Larry.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by HNL
In my experience, preferred seating when making a rezzy or booking seats means nothing once on board. FEBO still applies.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
In my experience, preferred seating when making a rezzy or booking seats means nothing once on board. FEBO still applies.
The preferred seats are in coach so FEBO doesn't apply. Generally service is always from the front in coach hence you will be served sooner if you are in a preferred seat closer to the front of the plane
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
In my experience, FEBO only applies in the premium cabins, and food service in the coach cabin is always front-to-back on flights where there is food service (international flights, by one of AA's many different definitions of international). For domestic flights, we are talking drinks and BOB only. I suppose getting first crack at the BOB could be considered a benefit by those foolhardy enough to rely on BOB and not bring their own food on board.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by larrywilmot747
(However, don't choose 20J on a TATL 767, it may be exit row, but I would prefer the middle of a back row of 5 on a 777 than sit in that one again. Nowhere for feet, and no recline, = 8 hours of misery.)
As seatguru or seatexpert would have told you.

Although, I think 20H is better than those those sites say it is.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's be honest. The preferred seat is bogus. There is nothing you get that imho is worthwhile.
I prefer a seat toward the front, where the ride is smoother and I can deplane more quickly. I prefer a window or aisle seat. I prefer they hold these seats for elites over the Plumbers who book their annual vacation 11 months in advance. That is why these are preferred seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.