Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Frequently Asked Questions: American Airlines and AAdvantage
Please check here first: resources, thread links, etc.

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Please do NOT post your individual questions here.
This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:08 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Update: Added kudos and AAplause threads

Originally Posted by dstan
• How do I request compensation for a problem or compliment an AA employee?

<snip>

FT: AApplause Certificates Employee Recognition Program
FT: Kudos / Compliments to AA Employees (consolidated)
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Update: New DEN Admirals Club thread

• Will I have lounge access on my itinerary?

<snip>

FT: DEN / Denver Admirals Club (new location Nov 2010) (consolidated)
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Update: 2011 Buyback now announced

• I will just miss requalifying, will AA make any exceptions or can I buy back status?

<snip>

AA.com: Elite Status Buyback: An Exclusive AAdvantage Special Offer
FT: 2011 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (released Dec 15, 2010)
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Update: New YVR lounge thread created

<snip>

FT: YVR / Vancouver oneworld and & Plaza lounges
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:15 pm

bonus miles

I got AA bonus miles for applying for Master Card. Will I get some bonus miles for applying for Visa?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by foldabiker
I got AA bonus miles for applying for Master Card. Will I get some bonus miles for applying for Visa?

Welcome to FlyerTalk, foldabiker! Please check the User's Guide Sticky for the appropriate credit card thread in which to post your question. We reserve the FAQ for discussion of the FAQ itself, and these posts will be deleted after you've had time to repost. Thanks for your understanding!

/Moderator
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:36 am

Programs: AA,BA,UA,SW,NWA,DL
• Does AA offer lifetime status?

Yes, AA offers unpublished lifetime GLD status at 1 million miles from all sources (flying and non-flying), and lifetime PLT status at 2 million miles from all sources. At 1 million miles, U.S.-based flyers also receive eight 500-mile / sticker upgrades while non-U.S.-based flyers receive four systemwide upgrades. At each million mile increment thereafter, all flyers receive four additional systemwide upgrades. There is no lifetime EXP status. Note that lifetime status does not give a ‘head-start’ on achieving the next higher elite level annually.

Wiki: Lifetime Status
FT: AAdvantage Million Miles Multiples Benefits
FT: Lifetime status: just made Gold/Platinum for life! shout & brag etc.
FT: Purported Lifetime EXPs
So I have a total of 865,000 miles which is primarily purchases over the years. Will I get GLD status when I reach 1,000,000 and is that for life? Or, does it have to be achieved within one year?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

This FAQ thread isn't really the place to ask (it's dedicated to the FAQ and questions / updates regarding the FAQ itself), but because your post got caught in the moderation queue (enclosing URL links means as a first post it is hidden and requires moderator approval, as part of the FlyerTalk Spam control scheme), we'll leave it here for a bit and move it later.

Currently, 1 million miles earns Gold AAdvantage status for life - these are any and all miles, with no time limit; 2 million currently earns Platinum for life. This could change in the future, and some predict it will - it is an undocumented benefit of AAvantage, so they don't even have to issue an advance notice.

Originally Posted by pamphelia
So I have a total of 865,000 miles which is primarily purchases over the years. Will I get GLD status when I reach 1,000,000 and is that for life? Or, does it have to be achieved within one year?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Update: Clarification of lifetime miles accumulation

Originally Posted by pamphelia
Thanks for your inquiry, pamphelia - I've clarified the entry to indicate that the miles do not need to be accumulated within one year.

• Does AA offer lifetime status?

Yes, AA offers unpublished lifetime GLD status at 1 million miles from all sources (flying and non-flying), and lifetime PLT status at 2 million miles from all sources. At 1 million miles, U.S.-based flyers also receive eight 500-mile / sticker upgrades while non-U.S.-based flyers receive four systemwide upgrades. At each million mile increment thereafter, all flyers receive four additional systemwide upgrades. There is no lifetime EXP status. The required miles may be accumulated over any period of time and do not need to be accumulated in a single year. Note that lifetime status does not give a ‘head-start’ on achieving the next higher elite level annually.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

New entry: Delayed, lost, damaged baggage

Please review and let me know if any changes or additions are needed - fortunately, I don't have too much experience with this myself!

• What should I do if my checked baggage is delayed, lost, or damaged?

If your checked bag does not arrive at the baggage claim carousel after your flight, be sure to notify an AA baggage service agent before leaving the airport. You should receive a six-letter File Locator ID that can be used to track the status of your bags online. The baggage representative may authorize reimbursement of reasonable interim expenses. Third-party travel insurance policies also often provide benefits for delayed or lost luggage. Homeowner’s and renter’s insurance policies may also provide coverage for lost items beyond a specified deductible.

Subsequently, AA will attempt to locate your baggage and deliver it to you within 24 hours. You may also have the option of returning to the airport to retreive your bag if this is faster than delivery. If your baggage cannot be located within 5 days, you will need to complete a property questionnaire detailing the items in your missing baggage. If the baggage still cannot be located, then the AA Claims Department will provide compensation based on the AA Conditions of Carriage or International Convention. For domestic travel, the maximum liability is $3,300 per passenger, unless additional insurance is purchased at check-in, up to $5,000 per passenger. Note that valuable items specified in the Conditions of Carriage, such as electronics and jewelry, are not covered and should not be placed in checked baggage.

If your baggage is damaged, you should report it to an AA baggage service agent before leaving the airport if possible. All damage claims must be reported to AA within 24 hours for U.S. itineraries or within 7 days for itineraries including international travel, and the damaged article will need to be presented for inspection at the airport. Note that ordinary wear and tear to baggage, including scuffs, tears, and broken zippers, handles, and wheels is not covered.

If items are missing from your baggage, you should report it to an AA baggage service agent before leaving the airport if possible, or within 24 hours maximum.

If the last segment in your flight sequence is on a flight operated by another carrier, including AA codeshare flights, then the operating carrier (not AA) is responsible for delayed, lost, or damaged baggage and is your point of contact for these problems.

Wiki: Luggage and Baggage
AA.com: Baggage FAQ | Delayed Baggage | Damaged Baggage | Baggage Liability Limitations | Conditions of Carriage
FT: Delayed / lost baggage advice, compensation, prevention (consolidated)
FT: Delayed / lost baggage on a multi-airline itinerary or codeshare - whom to contact?

Last edited by dstan; Dec 31, 2010 at 1:06 pm
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Update: Added caveat about flights operated by other carriers

• Will I have to pay checked baggage fees?

<snip>

If the first segment in your itinerary is on a flight operated by another carrier, including AA codeshare flights, then the checked baggage rules and fees of the operating carrier apply at check-in.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Update: Added caveat about flights operated by other carriers

• How much carry-on baggage can I bring aboard?

<snip>

If the first segment in your itinerary is on a flight operated by another carrier, including AA codeshare flights, then the carry-on baggage rules of the operating carrier apply at check-in. Note that many carriers restrict the weight of carry-on baggage considerably more than AA and may weigh your carry-on bags at check-in.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Update: Main ORD Flagship Lounge thread added

<snip>

Master List of Lounge Threads
FT: ORD / Chicago O’Hare T3 H/K Flagship Lounge (consolidated)
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Update: Stickers do not expire

• What can I do with 500-mile electronic upgrade / stickers I cannot use?

500-Mile electronic upgrades / stickers do not expire. <snip>
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Update: Stickers do not expire, cannot be transferred

• How do I earn 500-mile electronic upgrades / stickers?

<snip>

500-Mile electronic upgrades do not expire and are not transferrable to other AAdvantage accounts (although they can be used to upgrade non-status companions traveling on the same flight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.