Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A fellow flyer claims to be lifetime EXP (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum
A fellow flyer claims to be lifetime EXP (consolidated)

Original post title: A very special row mate

Two weeks ago, DFW-BOS, I was unable to my EXP upgrade, mainly due to standing by for an earlier flight. I got an exit row window, which isn't the end of the world, by any means. The GA actually asked "window or middle" when I asked about the exit row. That made me smile a little.

So, as I settled in to my seat, a gentleman sat in the aisle seat, and started arranging his stuff. I played my usual "I hope the middle seat stays open" game, mentally encouraging all boarding passengers to avoid that seat. (Similar to the Jedi mind trick.) Door closes, and no one! Little victory. So, I point to the empty seat, and say to my row mate "I don't see that very often these days." He looks at me a little oddly, and I continue to explain "An empty seat."

He gives me a very conspiratorial look, and says "I can explain why it's empty in a minute." Then leaves and goes to find a place for his coat (yes, after door closes, for those of you playing along at home). When he gets back he leans over to me and says "I'm lifetime Executive Platinum, and when they can't upgrade me, they always block the seat next to me to make it up to me."

Given what seems to be the prevailing sentiment, that there is no lifetime EXP and no seat blocking, I was very surprised by this statement. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

I was way too tired to play the DYKWIA game with him, and he looked VERY sure of what he said, so I left it at that. Thought folks might find it at least a little interesting. Comments?

Disclaimers for the inevitable responses:
1. I heard him correctly.
2. I neither endorse nor reject his statement.
3. I was really, really tired.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 25, 2009 at 9:42 am Reason: edit in original post title
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Even as an EXP I've had a seat blocked next to me.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
So I assume the other exit rows also had empty middle seats?

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by chanp
Me too, if they can. In this instance 2 x EXP=empty middle seat.
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I have no heard of lifetime EXP and IMHO AA would never leave a Y seat go unsold if it could for anyone. Mr. EXP for life should spend sometime on MIA and Caribbean flights, he would soon change his tune.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
I as a lowly Platinum have had the middle seat blocked on a number of occassions, mostly transcon, including last week
I was told by the desk agent and the AAngels a few times that the middle seat was blocked because of my status.
I thought the only good perk was pre-boarding!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by chanp
It sometimes will work in F too, if the load is light. If you don't ask the answer is always no.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:14 pm

More inclined to believe he's a MM'er EXP as opposed to a LT EXP. In any case, seat-blocking is one of those "unwritten" perks that's done when the agents are in a mood to giving it to EXP's
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ntamayo
More inclined to believe he's a MM'er EXP as opposed to a LT EXP. In any case, seat-blocking is one of those "unwritten" perks that's done when the agents are in a mood to giving it to EXP's
What is a "MM'er EXP" ?

1 MM gets you lifetime Gold, 2 MM gets you lifetime Plat, nothing beyond that AFAIK.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BOSAAFlyer
I played my usual "I hope the middle seat stays open" game, mentally encouraging all boarding passengers to avoid that seat. (Similar to the Jedi mind trick.)
LOL. I play that too and have limited success. As for Lifetime EXP - dont know if they have a status formally given to very high mileage travellers but I am sure there are perks that are given to some travellers - celebrities etc - get which 'regular' EXP's do not.

Last edited by riteshraja; Nov 18, 2008 at 2:21 pm Reason: sp
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Back before the days of typical 80%-90%+ load factors UA would block off middle seats in the E+ section of the plane, unless needed for those relatively few packed flights. But with today's load factor and airline mentality of cramming in as many as possible (at whatever fare) the "blocking" of middle seats becomes rare. I don't think that AA per se does to the benefit of anybody.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If the GA asked you Window or Middle, that suggests it's not really blocked.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by andyr
What is a "MM'er EXP" ?

1 MM gets you lifetime Gold, 2 MM gets you lifetime Plat, nothing beyond that AFAIK.
I meant to say that the EXP happens to be a (Multi-)Million-Miler, e.g. LT GLD or PLT.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Originally Posted by BOSAAFlyer
I played my usual "I hope the middle seat stays open" game, mentally encouraging all boarding passengers to avoid that seat. (Similar to the Jedi mind trick.)
I too play this game. If they announce that it's a full flight then the game changes to "please let the thin hottie sit next to me" game, mentally encouraging fat smelly pigs to avoid the seat.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Back before the days of typical 80%-90%+ load factors UA would block off middle seats in the E+ section of the plane, unless needed for those relatively few packed flights.
In the 1990s (and early 2000s?) on AA it was a published feature that seats next to elites were blocked. Back then I was Plat and my wife was Gold. We would often pick the Window and Asile seat and get the one in the middle empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.