Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Frequently Asked Questions: American Airlines and AAdvantage
Please check here first: resources, thread links, etc.

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Please do NOT post your individual questions here.
This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:35 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Update: Upgrade window for connecting flights based on originating flight

As documented here.

Originally Posted by dstan
• How does the upgrade waitlist work?

<snip>

The upgrade windows are based on the departure time of the originating flight in an itinerary, rather than each individual flight, so upgrades for connecting flights may clear prior to the upgrade window for that particular flight.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Update: Upcoming change to close-in fee structure

• Will I have to pay any fees to make, change, or upgrade my reservation?

<snip>

AAdvantage Travel Awards incur a $25 service charge when booked by telephone, $30 when booked at the airport, or $20 when booked at a Travel Center. AAdvantage Travel Awards for AA-only itineraries can be redeemed online at AA.com with no service charge. AAdvantage Awards redeemed/requested 20 to 7 days prior to departure incur a $50 close-in ticketing fee, and awards redeemed/requested 6 days to 2 hours prior to depature incur a $100 close-in ticketing fee. The close-in fee for additional awards drawn from the same AAdvantage account is $25. (N.B.: For tickets issued on/after Aug 25, 2011, the close-in fee <21 days prior to departure is $75 per ticket.) All AA elites are exempt from close-in charges as of July 29, 2010 and EXP members are exempt from ticketing service charges. AAdvantage Travel Awards are subject to taxes and security fees.

<snip>
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tyellee
I'm currently AA Plat, but very likely I will loose the status after this year. I just booked a flight to HNL for next May travelling, and I was able to select the exit seat now. the question is: will I get to keep my assigned seat (after my status expired next year) ?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, tyellee! As the FAQ thread is reserved for discussion of the FAQ, we'll move your post and miamigrad's spot-on answer over to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post16738225

/Moderator
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Update: New Cit Executive credit card with 10K EQM for $40K calendar year spend

• How can I qualify for AA elite status?

AAdvantage members can qualify for elite status annually based on calendar year butt-in-seat elite-qualifying miles (25K / 50K / 100K), elite-qualifying points (25K / 50K / 100K), or elite-qualifying segments (30 / 60 / 100). All fares on AA earn 100% elite-qualifying miles, 50–150% elite-qualifying points, and 100% elite-qualifying segments, except O fares between North America and Latin America (Central and South America excluding Mexico). Flights on oneworld partner airlines and Alaska Airlines also earn elite-qualifying miles, points, and segments, but may be subject to various fare restrictions and multipliers. Flights on other partner airlines do not earn elite-qualifying miles, points, or segments. Non-flying miles (credit card, dining, etc.) do not count toward annual elite status qualification but current do count toward Lifetime Status. N.B.: On Jul 18, 2011, AA launched a new Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard that awards 10,000 elite-qualifying miles after $40,000 in calendar year spending.

<snip>

FT: AA Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard
• Can I qualify for elite status without flying?

In general, no, the only way to earn Elite Qualifying Miles (and Points and Segments) toward annual elite status qualification is by flying on AA and certain partner airlines. However, on Jul 18, 2011, AA launched a new Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard that awards 10,000 elite-qualifying miles after $40,000 in calendar year spending.

<snip>

FT: AA Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Update: Paid mileage reactivation now available thru 12/31/11; new thread added

Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Update: Dynamic Air Awards

• How do I book award travel using my AAdvantage miles?

<snip>

On Aug 2, 2011, AA announced new Dynamic Air Awards. These awards are available to elite members only, for travel within the mainland U.S., and can only be booked online for immediate purchase (no holds). Mileage charges are less than those for AAnytime Awards, but vary based on current revenue fare prices at the time of booking.

<snip>

AA.com: Awards | AA Award Chart | All-Partner and oneworld Awards Charts | Dynamic Air Awards

<snip>

FT: AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards (beginning Aug 2, 2011)
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

New entry: Mobile boarding passes - procedures & availability

• How do mobile boarding passes work and can I use one at my airport?

AA offers mobile boarding passes for flights departing certain airports that are equipped with barcode scanners at security lines and boarding gates. The mobile boarding pass consists of a two-dimensional barcode, as well as printed passenger information (name, date, flight, seat, etc.), and can be saved to a mobile device such as a smartphone or PDA. Mobile boarding passes can be accessed directly via AA moble apps, or received via email when checking in at AA.com. N.B.: It is advisable to save a the mobile boarding pass directly to your mobile device, in case you lose internet access at the security line or the gate. AA also recommends maximizing the brightness of your display for scanning.

At the check-in area, if you are checking bags, the mobile boarding pass can be used at self-service kiosks in the Bag Drop area.

At security, show the mobile boarding pass to the contractor who monitors the entrance to the line for access. When you reach the TSA agent checking IDs, provide your ID and scan your barcode using the scanner embedded in the podium. It is advisable to lock the screen orientation on your mobile device so that the image does not switch between portrait and landscape view. You may then be provided with a laminated card in lieu of a hard copy boarding pass to provide to the TSA agent at the metal detector, since mobile devices obviously cannot be carried through.

At the boarding gate, scan your barcode using the scanner mounted on top of the boarding pass reader. Again, it is advisable to lock the screen orientation on your mobile device so that the image does not switch between portrait and landscape view.

AA.com: Mobile Boarding Passes
FT: Mobile boarding pass info and airport list (consolidated)
FT: AA mobile boarding pass - Blackberry tips / issues
FT: AA mobile boarding pass - Apple iPhone tips / issues
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Update: Mileage expiration prevention for Canadian and UK members

Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Update: Lifetime status changes official

• Does AA offer lifetime status?

<snip>

N.B.: Currently, miles from all sources (flying and non-flying) count toward lifetime status qualification. However, AA has announced that as of December 1, 2011, only base flight miles on AA and other AAdvantage participating airlines will be counted toward million miler status from that point forward. Except for a 13-month exception for Citi Executive AAdvantage World Elite card holders, no other miles will count toward lifetime status (e.g., miles from bonuses, promotions, credit cards, dining, shopping, banking, hotels, rental cars, etc.). In addition, members reaching 1 million miles will receive 35,000 bonus AAdvantage miles instead of upgrades. Members reaching 2 million miles and subsequent increments will continue receiving four systemwide upgrades.

As expected, these changes are NOT being made retroactively, and Program-to-Date mileage balances as of November 30, 2011 will be carried forward without change. Members who have already attained a lifetime status level will retain that status.

Wiki: Lifetime Status
FT: AAdvantage Million Miler Program Changes (Dec 1, 2011)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Update: Now reflects upcoming changes to lifetime status program

• Can I qualify for elite status without flying?

<snip>

The other exception to this statement is Lifetime Gold and Lifetime Platinum (Million Miler) Status, which are currently based on redeemable miles earned from all sources, including flight bonus miles, credit cards, hotels, rental cars, dining, shopping partners, etc. However, that program will change to count only base flight miles as of December 1, 2011, with a 13-month exception for Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard holders as of that date.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Update: Official AA million miler webpage added

• Does AA offer lifetime status?

<snip>

AA.com: Million Miler Program
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Updated: Added link to Optional Service Charges page (Ticketing and Other Charges)

• Will I have to pay any fees to make, change, or upgrade my reservation?

<snip>

AA.com: Worldwide Websites | Reservations Phone Numbers | Ticketing and Other Charges
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Update: Added link to Optional Service Charges page w/ Baggage Fees Table

• Will I have to pay checked baggage fees?

<snip>

AA.com: Baggage Information | Checked Bag Fees | Fee Exemption List | Baggage Fees Table
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
missing baggage allowance info on AA site

please note the new optional service charges table lists first/biz passenger checked in baggage weight limit as 70 lbs.

this is missing from the "normal" baggage allowance page.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Update: Gogo 30-day passes discontinued; autorenewal plan issues

• Will my flight have onboard wi-fi?

<snip>

Pricing is listed on AA.com and varies by flight distance and wi-fi device type. 30-Day passes were previously available, but Gogo now offers only Gogo Unlimited and AA Traveler Pass plans that automatically renew each month and can only be cancelled 7 days prior to the next renewal. Note that Gogo’s 24-hour pass is NOT valid on AA flights, although this is not clearly stated on the Gogo website.

<snip>

FT: Gogo monthly pass auto-renewal policy issues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.