Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Ok so this may sound little stupid but i will ask you guys for info cause i know i will get the most definative answer from you guys here.
I got the gold status this year first time from AA and now i am at 49889 for this year only 111 miles short of platinum, but through my work no trips plan for the rest of the year and i think i should not let this oppurtunity pass to become plat this year so it will benefit me in my next years travel( which is going be around the same miles.
So the question is Is there any other way to get those miles besides flying in american?
Is it worth it to even ask the advantage desk for the status or i should just book a short haul flight for the heck of it and get the status?
Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATORS' NOTE

"Rounding up" miles for those close, but not at, status thresholds: AA will not usually announce that until the calendar year is over, and it is an undocumented benefit - they may discontinue it at any time without notice. Post #3 states the previous years' "Exception" / "rounding up" figures, and there is reliable information from AA that they are likely to do this again this year (likely = folks are being told that's how it will go, but if you want 100% reliability, don't rely on FlyerTalk, go out and fly some or be prepared to pay to renew for the next year.)

2/20/11 - We now have a direct report of continuation of the "Exception": http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15898865-post376.html

For this year's thread on the annual buyback option, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

For threads on this topic from other years, see also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...olidated.html]

dstan and JDiver
AA Forum Co-Moderators

Last edited by dstan; Feb 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm Reason: updated link
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saatx
Ok so this may sound little stupid but i will ask you guys for info cause i know i will get the most definative answer from you guys here.
I got the gold status this year first time from AA and now i am at 49889 for this year only 111 miles short of platinum, but through my work no trips plan for the rest of the year and i think i should not let this oppurtunity pass to become plat this year so it will benefit me in my next years travel( which is going be around the same miles.
So the question is Is there any other way to get those miles besides flying in american?
Is it worth it to even ask the advantage desk for the status or i should just book a short haul flight for the heck of it and get the status?
There is no other way to get the miles. After the year is over, you can hope that AA will decide you are "close enough". They might, they might not. The only way to be sure is to fly at least one more segment this year.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
There has been an exception policy in the past. There of course is no guarantee that it will continue. The only way to be sure is to fly another segment.
From the aa wiki:
Exception Policy
There is an unofficial exception policy for members who come close to qualifying, but don't quite make it. Note that you cannot request an exception before the end of the qualifying year and by then it is too late to fly more if the exception is not granted. The automatic exceptions have been as follows in previous years:

24,500 miles or points for Gold Status
49,000 miles or points for Platinum Status
99,000 miles or points for Executive Platinum Status
There have also been older reports of manual exceptions to get Executive Platinum if the member has flown 95,000 miles and has accrued 90,000 points. You will have to call for a manual exception. (N.B.: Reports of this exception all date back to the early days of the points system, when only paid First and Business fares earned more than 1 point/mile. Since then the point/mile ratio has been liberalized, with all fares from B (slightly discounted economy) and up earning 1.5 points/mile. Six more heavily discounted economy fares now earn 1.0 point/mile. A 90/95 ratio of points to miles no longer indicates heavy spending as it once did. As of late 2008, nobody has reported obtaining an exception on this basis for years. There is reason to doubt it still exists.)

The Exception Policy can change at any time.
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...tatus_%28AA%29
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
fly 1 way from usa i'm not familar w/ the airport but your profile states it - cheapest place & have friend come pick you up....good luck...
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Do a RT on an AE short haul one evening. LAX-SAN-LAX, DFW-OKC-DFW or alike will get you what you need. If you're looking for a sure way without spending money or placing your BIS, you are out of luck.

San Angelo, TX to Dallas $141 RT.
San Antonio, TX to Dallas $123 RT.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
I'd suggest, before starting a new thread, check the FAQ at the top of the page where it says, "Please check here first!" Our moderators and others have spent a great deal of time to make this information readily available and keep it updated.

I just missed requalifying, will AA make any exceptions or can I buy back status?

Last edited by videomaker; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:00 pm
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by clacko
fly 1 way from usa i'm not familar w/ the airport but your profile states it - cheapest place & have friend come pick you up....good luck...
"ATX" is not an airport code here. It's local shorthand for Austin, TX. Some people use it a lot. Others post on the Web how much they hate it. Austin's airport code is AUS. (Technically, ATX is an airport code - for Atbasar, Kazakhstan. I'm fairly sure that's not what the OP meant, though since this is FT s/he might want to revise his profile. Few people outside the Austin area have ever heard ATX used this way.)

As for the original question, three options:

1. Fly.
2. Gamble.
3. Make friends with someone inside AA who's in a position to know/do something about this.

#3 isn't quite as far-fetched as it might seem. A few years back a friend in AA promised me in November (not in public!) that I'd be EP if I finished the year at 99,800 EQM, as I then expected. As it happened, another trip came up and I didn't have to take her up on it, but it's not out of the question when one is within the historical leeway anyhow. It's not as if I had asked her about EP with 76,500 EQM or some other way-too-low number.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
111 miles short of platinum?

Get on an AA flight to DFW, grab some BBQ at DFW, fly back and be done with it.

Sure they may credit you the 111 miles, but do you feel lucky? Well, do you?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gamecock
111 miles short of platinum?

Get on an AA flight to DFW, grab some BBQ at DFW, fly back and be done with it.

Sure they may credit you the 111 miles, but do you feel lucky? Well, do you?
Thats exactly what i am thinking about doing after all you guys suggestions. I certainly dont wanna loose that chance.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Thats exactly what i am thinking about doing after all you guys suggestions. I certainly dont wanna loose that chance.
^
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
I certainly dont wanna loose that chance.
Make sure you don't lose it, either.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Me either. If there is one thing I just can't abide, it's all them pesky little chances running around loose. I say round 'em up and keep 'em locked up where they can't annoy folks.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by videomaker
Make sure you don't lose it, either.
+1

You shouldn't be allowed to fly if you can't spell
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Bonvoy
Too chicken to count on a soft landing

I have to give up EXP which I had for several years. 1000 K shy of PLT but am afraid to take my chances. I am going to do an extra trip. How do we know there will be a soft landing in 2010? I was dissappointed with the lack of double status miles for those living on the west coast this year.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
We don't know for sure. Just pop on over to Vegas for a day or two this December. Flights and hotels are at rock bottom prices then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.