Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Hello,

I am a PLT AAdvantage member, with high hopes of qualifying to EXP this year. Last week, I had scheduled an international flight to MAD, and the day I was supposed to flight I got a call from AA stating that they had to re-schedule my domestic legs with US Airways due to weather in DFW. While I appreciated the gesture, now I am 2K+ miles short of getting to EXP.... I send an e-mail to AAdvantage, and they declined the credit.

My worry is that I will now be at 98K miles for the year, thus missing the next level.... have you been in a similar situation before, and how flexible/accommodating is the airline?

Thanks for your help, this is a great forum!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For threads on this topic from other years, see also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Oct 25, 2010 at 10:48 am Reason: updated mod note
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

What domestic leg did you have that was worth 2k? In the past when AA rerouted you on another airline they would always give you miles of your scheduled flight. I would contact them again & ask for credit.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Welcome to FT.

Just as they don't give a gold medal for the 98 meter dash in the Olympics, I am 99%+ sure AA will not make an exception.

I would try again, as Sholey, above, recommends. However, if you are denied, the benefits of EXP are IMHO well worth it, especially if you fly internationally.

You are lucky in that you still have a month and a half to get the 2000+ miles. I don't know where you live, but may I strongly recommend that you make a mileage run? I believe there is a Forum here for that purpose.

Good luck, and go for it.

(I did a DFW-LGW-DFW on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day a number of years ago to re-qualify because I had had some surgery earlier in the year, and that was the only time I could squeeze the MR in.)
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Not sure where you are based but go for the MR if you can't get original credit (possibly because of weather..?... I am doing three same day turns LGA/DFW/SNA for $240 a.i. in December to get EXP. But with only 2,000 miles you could do a shorter trip.

If you repost your location, I am sure that fellow FTs will have all kind of MR suggestions for you.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I feel your pain. I am EXP but will fall 6k short of requalifying for 2009. What makes it worse, is I have another trip to Brasil but the company travel site got a much cheaper flight on Delta. I can't justify flying AA in the current economic environment. And I don't have the time or money to make a 6k mileage run.

I will miss EXP

Try calling again - a different agent may be more accomodating
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Redhead
I'm a big proponent of this tactic w/dealing w/AA. However in the case of the OP I doubt it will make a difference. When you call, specifically ask for "original routing credit" However, if it is denied, then you will most certainly need to fly the add'l 2K to make it to EXP.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Redhead
I feel your pain. I am EXP but will fall 6k short of requalifying for 2009. What makes it worse, is I have another trip to Brasil but the company travel site got a much cheaper flight on Delta. I can't justify flying AA in the current economic environment. And I don't have the time or money to make a 6k mileage run.

I will miss EXP

Have you explored the possibility of trying to swap across from DL to AA, and paying the change fee and the additional? It could be less expensive than a MR? It MIGHT work. Good luck!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Located in Sacramento

Thanks a bunch for all the replies... I am based in Sacramento, worst case scenario what would be a good MR?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: UA-Premier, Avis-Prefered, USA Hockey Referee-Level 3
So close, yet so far away-Too

I didn't want to hijack underwater32's thread but I'm in a similar situation. I'll be about 1,500 mile short of making Gold this year. I'd do a mileage run but my wife thinks it's silly to spend that kind of money. Plus it would mean leaving her home with our 2 year old son and dog for a night or two.

Is making Gold worth the effort? I've been Premier on UA for the past 4 years and recently moved to STL. So I've weathered the past year as a non-elite on AA. So far only issue has been not being able to use dedicated security lanes but that hasn't been too bad (use the C gate line at STL, almost always empty and walk over to D gates).

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Let me be the first to say it: It must be that time of year again ...

I'll give you the standard answer: None of us can tell you what GLD will be worth to YOU. Only you can make that determination. To a large extent it depends on how much you will be flying next year, and whether even bottom-level elite status will make the travel more bearable, and what value you assign to that.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: AA PLT
For a night or 2?
Book a flight to somewhere like BOS, there is a 2 pm flight, land in BOS at 5:30, get on the 6:30 back to STL and land by 8:30. I just checked and it's about a $300 flight with no hotel bills. It's about 2100 miles RT so it will cover what you need. Didn't check any other places, but you only need short flights so you can easily be home that night. Good luck.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Indy Racer
I didn't want to hijack underwater32's thread but I'm in a similar situation. I'll be about 1,500 mile short of making Gold this year. I'd do a mileage run but my wife thinks it's silly to spend that kind of money. Plus it would mean leaving her home with our 2 year old son and dog for a night or two.

Is making Gold worth the effort? I've been Premier on UA for the past 4 years and recently moved to STL. So I've weathered the past year as a non-elite on AA. So far only issue has been not being able to use dedicated security lanes but that hasn't been too bad (use the C gate line at STL, almost always empty and walk over to D gates).

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Can't you look at a same day turn out to the West Coast thereby avoiding a hotel stay? Or possibly two same day turns to the East Coast.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
You won't even need a hotel if you fly to the West Coast.

Dec 13 (Sat)

AA 581
Depart STL 8:50 AM
Arrive LAX 11:00 AM

AA 1716
Depart LAX 5:30 PM
Arrive STL 11:00 PM

earn 3184 miles RT, same day return, $239 AI, possibly even more mileage by routing through DFW or LAS.

Do this, and I'll buy you an In 'N Out Burger and take you to the beach for your entire 5 hour stay in Los Angeles
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: UA-Premier, Avis-Prefered, USA Hockey Referee-Level 3
Originally Posted by kebosabi
You won't even need a hotel if you fly to the West Coast.

Do this, and I'll buy you an In 'N Out Burger and take you to the beach for your entire 5 hour stay in Los Angeles
Deal!!!!!! ^

Thanks for the advice. Day trips looks to be a way to go, will have to see if my schedule allows it towards the end of the year.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Entirely a judgement call for you on the value, but if you have not flown enough to get even Gold in the last year then you are not likely to get much use out of it next year if your flight patterns remain the same.

On the other hand if you think you are going to fly a lot more next year then it is worth getting Gold if only to get the extra miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.