Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2010 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

2010 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, HH Gold
Exclamation 2010 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

I have been searching for the answer to my question but have not had any luck... So im sorry if this is a repost.

I have platinum status and this year I will fly a total of 49940 Miles so Im 60 miles away from to qualify for platinum will i loose my status??
Or will they let the 60 miles slide by??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For threads on this topic from other years, see also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Oct 25, 2010 at 10:49 am Reason: updated mod note
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Yes, this gets asked a lot, especially around this time of year.

The bottom line is, they may grant an exception and allow you to requalify as platinum, or they may not. It's happened in the past, but is not assured.

So are you feeling lucky?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Yes Im feeling lucky do you think i will have to give them a call or should I just wait and see what happens?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

BTW thank you for the fast response
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Valdes, certainly give them a call. I don't know if they'll be able to answer, but better to have tried and lost, then never to have called at all. If they say no, you'll know to buy another flight or be ok with gold.

BTW, have you signed up for the double-elite qualifying miles yet? If not, make sure you do.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:11 pm

I doubt it would do much good to call at this point, since previous posts would indicate those decisions are made after the qualifying year ends.

Being that close, IMO, is probably good enough to requalify. But, again, there are no guarantees and you could drop to gold.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:16 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by valdes
Yes Im feeling lucky do you think i will have to give them a call or should I just wait and see what happens?
As noted, calling now won't help since they won't decide until next year...after it's too late to do anything about it.

Also, since they had two double qualifying miles promotions this year, they may be less inclined to let anything slide. I'd play it safe and take one more flight.

Cheers.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD
You do not have to call if you are within 100 eilite qualify miles or less they automatically grant you the status at the end of the year
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by ishalom
You do not have to call if you are within 100 eilite qualify miles or less they automatically grant you the status at the end of the year
They have in the past. But do you know for certain they're going to do it again for this year?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:32 pm

Is it a written rule that they'll let 100 miles slide? If so, why not just state that you only need 49,900 to qualify for PLT? or is it like speed limits? +10mph isn't so bad, unless the cop is having a bad hair day.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ishalom
I really wouldn't count on it, and there is no benefit for AA to tell the passenger they will qualify on the short mileage, which kind of reduces the incentive to buy more tickets for travel for the remainder of this year. I would bet he would make it, but a "real" FF flies every month of the year
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
There are still six weeks left in 2009 at this writing. I don't want to chance that they'll let these things slide, especially after this year's two generous EQM promotions. I thought I had all my travel planned out for the rest of the year, but I will be a painful 102 miles short of the 75K EQM goal for the Platinum bonus. I'm not chancing that they'll say that I was "close enough." I'll do a mileage run. If I find out later that they let people sneak through, I look at it as those being the breaks.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Nov 18, 2009 at 11:57 pm
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:03 am

Things are getting more interesting this year as you may get elite rewards for being close to the mark.

Originally Posted by valdes
I have been searching for the answer to my question but have not had any luck... So im sorry if this is a repost.

I have platinum status and this year I will fly a total of 49940 Miles so Im 60 miles away from to qualify for platinum will i loose my status??
Or will they let the 60 miles slide by??
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
I don't want to chance that they'll let these things slide, especially after this year's two generous EQM promotions.
I'm the same way. If I'm that close, there's no way I'll take a chance on not making it.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 1:54 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
The AA Elite Status wiki page has some information about this.

The Exception Policy can change at any time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.