Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by docr775
I just called AAdvantage desk asking about requalifications. He suggested that we call after 24th of January to find out about paying the fee for next level vs. doing an MR.
Horrible advice IMO. Would you BET your staus for the next year on:

1. The advice of an employee who may or may not know what they are talking about,

2. and is a full 3 weeks after the cut-off date (Dec 31), thus eliminating any recourse (actually flying the miles) if the employee is wrong?

Unless I, and this is just me, KNEW for sure this January 24th deal was a real deal, I would not take that bet. But that's me. Just sayin'. Good luck.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 2:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Originally Posted by underwater32
Thanks a bunch for all the replies... I am based in Sacramento, worst case scenario what would be a good MR?
SMF-BOI-SEA-PDX-SMF same-day run on QF on 12/6/08 would cost you $225 all-in and get you exactly 2000 miles (500 miles per leg).
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Bad advice, IMO. But why did you call? You don't list your current status or what you are trying to achieve. The OP was talking about trying to achieve EXP for the first time. "INDY" was asking about GLD, again for the first time. Fees for GLD and PLT in the past have been offered to retain a level they just missed - I don't recall any reports of "buying up' to a level that you did not already have - OR - being offered in any form for EXP.
I am not trying to achieve anything - I have a 2 million mile tag. I usually use biz extra points to get my wife a Gold status for the few trips she takes with me. This year she only has 20K miles, I used most of the points for upgrades and I was wondering if I could buy her the status for next year.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I'd definetly go for an MR even for GLD. I fly from STL-MIA/BOS/ORD/LAX mainly and like getting the bag fees waived, priority telephone number, exit row seating (particularly row 9 on the 757 from STL) and the occasional upgrade. I've been Gold 3 years now and have an ambitious goal to make EXP next year.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by docr775
I am not trying to achieve anything - I have a 2 million mile tag. I usually use biz extra points to get my wife a Gold status for the few trips she takes with me. This year she only has 20K miles, I used most of the points for upgrades and I was wondering if I could buy her the status for next year.

Is your wife currently GLD? If so, then I *think* the employee you spoke to was referring to a "status buyback/retention" option that has been offered in the past.

I don't recall the exact details (and can't find a link via search), however, here is the basic scenario: if a GLD is less than 5K miles for re-qualifying then for a couple of hundred dollars s/he would be able pay and retain that status; if the GLD is 10K away from re-qualifying, then the fee is somewhat higher. A similar offer (albeit w/higher fees) has been made to PLT in the past.

I have not seen any such offer for EXP nor have I ever heard of being able to simply "buy up." So, if your wife isn't currently GLD, I wouldn't put a great deal of confidence in such a policy being announced in January.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Dec 31 redeye qualify?

Stupid question but I can't find my answer on AA.com nor am I proficient at searching on FT.

If I have a Dec 31 flight arriving at my destination on Jan 1, does that flight still count during elite qualification period of the past year?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Stupid question but I can't find my answer on AA.com nor am I proficient at searching on FT.

If I have a Dec 31 flight arriving at my destination on Jan 1, does that flight still count during elite qualification period of the past year?
Yes, the flight won't post for a few days but it will be applied to your 2008 activity on AA.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Nick90274
Yes, the flight won't post for a few days but it will be applied to your 2008 activity on AA.
Thx Nick for that quick response^. I'm going to book my flight now
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter

To add to the correct response, it is the scheduled departure date that governs. So even if your redeye is delayed past midnight, it will be credited for 2008.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: QF gold, AA gold, BMI gold, BA silver
Due to a recent relocation, I have not flown/credited to AA very much this year, and am way short of retaining PLAT. Next year my flying patterns will resume and will be once again flying circa 75k EQM. Is there any mechanism that exits where by I can pay so to continue my PLAT status for a further year....or will I just have to accept the drop to GLD and requalify?

If I do have to drop the biggest loss for me will be the lounge access when flying Y.

Last edited by windelberger; Nov 23, 2008 at 11:54 am Reason: clarity
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windelberger
Due to a recent relocation, I have not flown/credited to AA very much this year, and am way short of retaining PLAT. Next year my flying patterns will resume and will be once again flying circa 75k EQM. Is there any mechanism that exits where by I can pay so to continue my PLAT status for a further year....or will I just have to accept the drop to GLD and requalify?

If I do have to drop the biggest loss for me will be the lounge access when flying Y.
Such a mechanism has existed in the past, see my post (#35) above.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
(I did a DFW-LGW-DFW on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day a number of years ago to re-qualify because I had had some surgery earlier in the year, and that was the only time I could squeeze the MR in.)
Wow, if I did an MR on Xmas day I'd need surgery after Mrs benzguy80 finished with me.

That being said, she's looking the other way while I do MR to CDG in a couple of weeks under the guise of Xmas shopping.

Stretch goal for '08: EXP! ^
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
If all goes well...with my convoluted mr to Dublin this week... I'll be achieving EXP for the first time...from the left coast I'll also accrue enough miles for 4 stickers... will those stickers slip into my account as well as the eVIps?? just curious if the computers will catch this.. actually i should have checked..it may very well be i'll accrue the 10k on the trip over to dublin.. i'm coming back the next day so its not like they would have time to post to my account before I return.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by retirementdreams
If all goes well...with my convoluted mr to Dublin this week... I'll be achieving EXP for the first time...from the left coast I'll also accrue enough miles for 4 stickers... will those stickers slip into my account as well as the eVIps?? just curious if the computers will catch this.. actually i should have checked..it may very well be i'll accrue the 10k on the trip over to dublin.. i'm coming back the next day so its not like they would have time to post to my account before I return.
You should still earn the 4 stickers for that last 10K miles as a PLT. If they don't post w/in a few days of the flight/EXP status, call AA and ask for them to be credited.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by benzguy80
Wow, if I did an MR on Xmas day I'd need surgery after Mrs benzguy80 finished with me.

Stretch goal for '08: EXP! ^
I was only gone about 22 hours-and my lack of EXP whining during the ensuing year would have driven her crazy!

It also helps to be married to a DL Platinum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.