Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
I've decided to bite the bullet and actually qualify for EXP for the first time.

I'm ~5600 miles short (based at DCA/IAD/BWI). Didn't find good prices for SEA or PDX (which would be enough via DFW).

Best I could find was DCA-ORD-SAN--SAN-LAX-IAD, going Dec. 30 and coming back the 31st, and to make up the shortfall, a quick SAN-LAX-SFO--SFO-LAX-SAN for late 30th/early 31st. Combined is 6611 miles.

I'm only somewhat worried about ORD, though I'm scheduled out just after 8am, and usually delays are still short early in the day (unless there is a long big mess, then it should be "declared" and I should be able to re-route via DFW). I still gave myself several hours before the nested short MR, so I should be okay (and there is a later flight).

It will come out to about $550, so I'm flinching a bit from that. By far the highest cost/mile of the last several years.

Any other ideas? I haven't purchased yet.

Question: does ORC also include timing? I'm scheduled to be back an hour before midnight 31st/1st, but if something hits the fan and I get involuntarily pushed back, will ORC preserve that the original itinerary was supposed to all be done in 2008, and thus count towards my EQM for 2008, even if involuntary delays may push my return to Jan 1?

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited by steve32; Dec 20, 2008 at 5:14 pm
Old Dec 20, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by lance1713
Of course, it does... I guess I didn't state my question clearly enough... I meant a history of how/when they are earned to get you to the total shown. Ideas?
FlightMemory.com

Signed in, you can break it down for each year.

Just refrain from putting in award flights until the end of the year, unless you want to manually subtract them.

I do a spreadsheet, as do the majority of FTers I suspect. Several spreadsheet formats available to download where you just fill in. I've made my own to be better able to focus on the stats I was more interested in.

Steve
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:11 pm

Question Question: does Orig. Routing Credit also include timing?

Question: does ORC also include timing? I'm scheduled to be back an hour before midnight 31st/1st, but if something hits the fan and I get involuntarily pushed back, will ORC preserve that the original itinerary was supposed to all be done in 2008, and thus count towards my EQM for 2008, even if involuntary delays may push my return to Jan 1?

Thanks!

Steve
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steve32

Thanks!

Steve
It's departure time, not arrival time, that counts. If your departure time is pushed back into 2009, and you need the mileage in 2008 for status, ask the agent to annotate your PNR to say that it was originally supposed to be 2008. Then call in to make sure it happens that way.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by gemac
It's departure time, not arrival time, that counts. If your departure time is pushed back into 2009, and you need the mileage in 2008 for status, ask the agent to annotate your PNR to say that it was originally supposed to be 2008. Then call in to make sure it happens that way.
Thank you for the answer.

Went back rooting around, and am considering YVR as an alternate, routing through DFW both ways, and scheduled to return on the 30th--safer all around.

I'm worried about Chicago's justified poor reputation with winter weather (I went to university an hour away from there, so voice of experience), and a screw up at the beginning means lots of stand-bys, plus the push over the line.

Slightly lower price, 700 less miles, but reduces 10 flights (including three on RJs) down to 4 flights; should be far less chance of weather problems, and a full day buffer from Dec. 31 midnight deadline.

Safer sounds nicer.

Thanks again,

Steve
Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:36 am

AA newbie here.... currently UA 1K for last four-five years.

I am planning a DONE4 ex. ICN that is around 52K miles in distance travelled. I am evaluating various mileage programs in OW and have been quite frustrated at the difficulty in obtaining elite status (ex. BA or QF requires x number of segments to be flown on their metal to initiate any kind of elite status upgrade).

Does AA have this? Ex. in order to be promoted to Gold, Platinum or to EXP, do I have to fly any AA metal or does my status upgrade depend only the accumulation of the qualifying points?

With about 52K miles flown in D, I suspect I'd be Plat by 3/5th way through the trip and with more trips this year, I'd be EXP in no time... without the challenge.

Personally, it's difficult to arrange any AA flights into my DONE4 due to my visa issues for the US (are there any AA 5th freedom flights?).
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by brahms77
AA newbie here.... currently UA 1K for last four-five years.

I am planning a DONE4 ex. ICN that is around 52K miles in distance travelled. I am evaluating various mileage programs in OW and have been quite frustrated at the difficulty in obtaining elite status (ex. BA or QF requires x number of segments to be flown on their metal to initiate any kind of elite status upgrade).

Does AA have this? Ex. in order to be promoted to Gold, Platinum or to EXP, do I have to fly any AA metal or does my status upgrade depend only the accumulation of the qualifying points?
Technically, yes there is such a requirement. Per aa.com

Member must fly at least four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection to qualify for AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold status within the qualifying year.

However, reports on FT indicate that this requirement is not as stringently enforced as others.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Technically, yes there is such a requirement. Per aa.com

Member must fly at least four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection to qualify for AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold status within the qualifying year.

However, reports on FT indicate that this requirement is not as stringently enforced as others.
The 4-segment rule isn't really a big problem for your DONE-4. You can easily get 2 segments on AA (or BA or QF or whatever airline you want). Then, just nest a short R/T inside your DONE-4. For example, if you want status on AA, and you are flying NRT-DFW-CDG, nest a DFW-AUS-DFW inside there.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by gemac
The 4-segment rule isn't really a big problem for your DONE-4. You can easily get 2 segments on AA (or BA or QF or whatever airline you want). Then, just nest a short R/T inside your DONE-4. For example, if you want status on AA, and you are flying NRT-DFW-CDG, nest a DFW-AUS-DFW inside there.
It sounds like his DONE4 might not include the US, given his comment about US visa issues.

Are there any AA metal segments that are outside of the US on both ends?

Steve
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by steve32
It sounds like his DONE4 might not include the US, given his comment about US visa issues.

Are there any AA metal segments that are outside of the US on both ends?

Steve
There is one AA flight I can take outside the US (EZE-MVD). This is short turn around and from what I hear, it is not so expensive (since there is only one flight a day, in order to do this, I would have to stay in EZE for at least two days - but I am even sure if it's daily).

The issue with BA is that I won't be flying most of my BA segments towards the end of the trip. Which means that I would have earned lots of tier points for Gold but only be promoted to Silver status due to qualification segments. Plus mileage redemption rates with QF and BA are quite terrible.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brahms77
There is one AA flight I can take outside the US (EZE-MVD). This is short turn around and from what I hear, it is not so expensive (since there is only one flight a day, in order to do this, I would have to stay in EZE for at least two days - but I am even sure if it's daily).

The issue with BA is that I won't be flying most of my BA segments towards the end of the trip. Which means that I would have earned lots of tier points for Gold but only be promoted to Silver status due to qualification segments. Plus mileage redemption rates with QF and BA are quite terrible.
That's a little different from your original post, where you said BA or QF status was difficult because "BA or QF requires x number of segments to be flown on their metal to initiate any kind of elite status upgrade".

If you want AA status, and credit your entire DONE4 to AA, it would be foolish to take a chance on AA waiving the 4-segment requirement, IMO. I'm not sure that you can fly EZE-MVD as a standalone flight, without booking into EZE on AA - I think you can't do it as standalone. You may just have to bite the bullet and get a visa.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:36 pm

AA canceled our flight needed for EXP qualification

AA canceled our flight needed for EXP qualification

My family was currently at 93796 points, and their end of year qualification point plan looked like this:

ORD-LHR on AA S inventory class 3945/2 = 1972 points
LHR-AMS on BA S inventory 230 = 125 (is this the minimum points? Or is it 62)
BRU-LHR on BA M inventory 217 = 125 points 218 per AA
LHR-ORD on AA M inventory 3945 points
ORD-TVC on AA M inventory 224 points

Total points 93796+1972+125+125+3945+500=100463

Problem is that AA canceled ORD-TVC (claiming weather) and gave no alternative flights (even for alternate airports) for many days. There were literally no seats to anywhere nearby until after the holidays.(AA should have chartered a bus). There were 40-50 people left with no options. For example, we decided to drive the route at our own expense even though our suitcases flew.

1) Is my point math correct? Perhaps LHR-AMS or BRU-LHR will earn more points and everyone is already over 100,000?

2) Should asking for original routing credit fix the issue?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
You certainly should try calling and asking for Original Routing credit.

We just flew a BA short hop and I've spent about 10 minutes trying to determine the points awarded on our S fare - and I can't get it to add up. I can tell you it wasn't very much/

Last edited by bdemaria; Dec 21, 2008 at 6:07 pm
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAaLot
2) Should asking for ‘original routing credit’ fix the issue?
ORD-TVC is operated by American Eagle, not AA. And yes, it seems reasonable to me but only AA is the arbiter of this. BTW, there's space on 25DEC on AA*, but probably there will be lots of noshows before that if the family wants to wait standby at the airport instead of battling the blizzard on the roads (much higher risk of accident/death).
Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
hold on to your ticket info and boarding passes....call aa....good luck....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.