Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:57 am

Last flew on Thnxgiving day, but assume I'm still short

May have 1K or so, but not much more in the holding pen...
Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:04 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
What is your budget? How much are you willing to spend for these 9k miles? You can fly to LHR (via DFW or ORD) for $2k and that would be cheaper than flying to HNL how much is maintaining status worth to you? And how is it you discovered this at such a late stage in the year and only just care about making it now?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Mark_T
When did you last fly?

Reason for asking is that the final batch of bonus miles have not yet posted so if you've flown in the last 3 weeks or so up to the 15th you may still have some miles to come.
3 weeks is about when the last posting was. I think the last bonus was for close to 1 month of flights ago. I haven't received credit for flights on Nov 27.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:15 pm

The EXP status is worth a lot for me

I fly to China 6 times per year or so and have been able to upgrade using VIP's. Unfortunately $2K is completely out of the budget.

Finding out so late in the game, because I had a flight that should have gotten credited on Cathay, but the plane broke down and I would up taking Singapore Air courtesy of Cathay. Did not get mileage, even though Cathay and Singapore Air said I would!

AA Advantage said after 12/31 send an email to have account re-examined to see if EXP status would be given - but the appeal criteria is not given out.

What is your guys experience with that - high probability or just a brush off from agent?

Thanks
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by rocketteer
I fly to China 6 times per year or so and have been able to upgrade using VIP's. Unfortunately $2K is completely out of the budget.

Finding out so late in the game, because I had a flight that should have gotten credited on Cathay, but the plane broke down and I would up taking Singapore Air courtesy of Cathay. Did not get mileage, even though Cathay and Singapore Air said I would!

AA Advantage said after 12/31 send an email to have account re-examined to see if EXP status would be given - but the appeal criteria is not given out.

What is your guys experience with that - high probability or just a brush off from agent?

Thanks
Appeals are tricky. Some are granted; some are not. How short are you, what did you find out so late in the game, and what is the relevance of the $2K???

[Edited to add:] Just read your earlier posts. Quoting would help. Being short 9K EQM, you don't have much hope IMO.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:00 am

Weather/99 Segments

Merry Christmas to all. I am hoping to enlist your help in detailing your experiences if any have had this happen to them. I have 99 flight segments YTD. I had two flight segments today to reach 101 YTD flying out of KCI. However, I am two hours away and due to the blizzard like conditions, I will not be able to make my flight. They have not cancelled the flight, even though roads are terrible and I'm not risking a 2 hour drive in 15 degree weather to get on the flight. So, I had to use Miles to make my return tomorrow to Texas, which will leave me 1 flight segment, short, since my aadvantage tickets will not count towards travel. The agent said I would need to call the aadvantage desk (which is closed today) to speak to them about how I can gain the one flight segment needed to hit the magic 100. Any ideas on how I might approach them? There is no way I will be able to travel again by year end as I had it al worked out. Do they routinely make exceptions to this rule on a case by case basis? Thank you for your help!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rcarnes10
I have 99 flight segments YTD.
The short answer is, we don't know. In the past, those who came very close have qualified. But we don't know if that will happen this year, especially in light of the generous DEQM promo.

The only way to be sure is to fly another segment, which you say is not feasible. Unfortunately, it will be too late to do that by the time you find out if any exceptions are granted.

If I was that close to EXP, I'd sure be looking for a way to fly.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
First, I do not know if the grant exceptions on one segment missed, though I know there has been a small mileage tolerance.

I'd throw myself at their mercy and request ORC - state you had to cancel because the roads were too hazardous to drive to the airport today. Since they are not open today, keep your eyes on flightaware and see if your flight is canceled as well.

If the first person is not sympathetic, try, try again.

Of course, flying one more segment would cinch it.

Merry Christmas to all. I am hoping to enlist your help in detailing your experiences if any have had this happen to them. I have 99 flight segments YTD. I had two flight segments today to reach 101 YTD flying out of KCI. However, I am two hours away and due to the blizzard like conditions, I will not be able to make my flight. They have not cancelled the flight, even though roads are terrible and I'm not risking a 2 hour drive in 15 degree weather to get on the flight. So, I had to use Miles to make my return tomorrow to Texas, which will leave me 1 flight segment, short, since my aadvantage tickets will not count towards travel. The agent said I would need to call the aadvantage desk (which is closed today) to speak to them about how I can gain the one flight segment needed to hit the magic 100. Any ideas on how I might approach them? There is no way I will be able to travel again by year end as I had it al worked out. Do they routinely make exceptions to this rule on a case by case basis? Thank you for your help!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:20 am

May I ask what ORC refers to?

Thank you for all of your insights...I am watching to see if the flight is cancelled, which I am now hoping for. Thre first three flights of the day out of KCI were cancelled....
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:33 am

May I ask what ORC refers to?

Thank you for all of your insights...I am watching to see if the flight is cancelled, which I am now hoping for. Thre first three flights of the day out of KCI were cancelled....
ORC is original routing credit, where they sometimes grant the original or scheduled mileage/segment credit for flights on which you were involuntarily re-routed or moved to another airline.

Definitely call in light of the weather situation and ask, especially since it appears there's a very good possibility the flight will be canceled.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
I called AA yesterday to request ORC (original routing credit) for my ORD-CLE flight that was cancelled this past Tuesday (12/22). It was an especially important flight for me (more so symbolically) ... today the flight posted due to manual intervention and I'm now EXP for the first time

I'm thankful to have found a sympathetic AAgent. I would have made EXP without the flight, but am also moving along toward my million miler status and every mile counts!!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold - HH Diamond
Originally Posted by miamigrad
I'm thankful to have found a sympathetic AAgent. I would have made EXP without the flight, but am also moving along toward my million miler status and every mile counts!!
Congrats Miamigrad! Lots of reasons to be thankful for EXP. Today, a quiet ORD FL is one of the them. ^

Last edited by Abidjan; Dec 25, 2009 at 10:02 am
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by Abidjan
Congrats Miamigrad! Lots or reasons to be thankful for EXP. Today, a quiet ORD FL is one of the them. ^
Many thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by miamigrad
I called AA yesterday to request ORC (original routing credit) for my ORD-CLE flight that was cancelled this past Tuesday (12/22). It was an especially important flight for me (more so symbolically) ... today the flight posted due to manual intervention and I'm now EXP for the first time
Good to know. With this crazy weather, I'm sure there are quite a few FT'ers in similar situations.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:25 pm

Question ORC - how to get it?

I found a flight that I took in Feb from SFO to HK - was supposed to fly Cathay, but the plane broke down. Spent the night in SFO then the next day no flights again, so they put me on Singapore Air.

Got flight credit from HK to PVG, my original destination, but no credit on SFO to HK.

What can I do? What is the best appeal to make - i.e. plane broke doesn't sound like something they would care about, especially since it's Cathay and not AA.

That segment is 6900mi. If i don't get it, I have to do a MR on the 29th which is MCI-ORD-BOS-ORD-MIA-SJU spend the night and then SJU-MIA-DFW-ORD-MCI cost is $1250 plus hotel, etc. Killer. Otherwise, picking up 1200mi or so would be no prob, not to mention the cost.

THanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.