Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's not a published benefit, but AA has a soft-landing policy whereby you never fall more than one level per year. If you were PLT in 2008, you should retain GLD thru Feb 2010, no matter how little you flew.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by adgrad
If I understand correctly, you have until December to earn your status but your status is kept until February. However, I am traveling this month. Any way to convince AA to at least allow me to keep gold somehow? I'm just going to miss those bonus miles!
Flying 25K miles or earning 25K EQP this month will earn Gold status right through Feb 2011.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
woohoo

I had 24.5 K EQM last year and I just checked AA.com and said Gold.

First time I ever got status on any airline ever. They kept their promise.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by closetasfan
I had 24.5 K EQM last year and I just checked AA.com and said Gold. First time I ever got status on any airline ever. They kept their promise.
CONGRATULATIONS! It's a great thing to be able to travel as an Elite.

p.s. I only discovered the joys of elite status in 2006 after traveling to 35 countries over 50+ years.... !what a difference it has made in my travel experience since then!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: AA ExP, OW Emerald, B6 Mosaic; AA1MM;
Buy to retain?

Anyone have any news on the buy to retain offer for '09? FINGERS CROSSED its still available! I hunted around AA.com but don't see anything yet. Requal for Gold, but am counting on being able to pay to retain platinum in '09 with a RTW trip coming up....
Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by upfront777
Anyone have any news on the buy to retain offer for '09? FINGERS CROSSED its still available! I hunted around AA.com but don't see anything yet. Requal for Gold, but am counting on being able to pay to retain platinum in '09 with a RTW trip coming up....
Search for "buyback", and all shall be revealed.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
https://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_US/urls/elite.jsp
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA ExP, OW Emerald, B6 Mosaic; AA1MM;
Thanks for the link HV. Now I see in the fine print that since I used the same offer in '08 I'm not eligible to do the same in '09.... I've been Plat. since 2002. Boo hoo! can I beg? I'd even pay twice!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), US Silver, PCR Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the link HV. Now I see in the fine print that since I used the same offer in '08 I'm not eligible to do the same in '09.... I've been Plat. since 2002. Boo hoo! can I beg? I'd even pay twice!
Is it possible to do a PLT Challenge in such a situation, when a member has dropped in status from PLT to GLD. I realize you cannot use the challenge to requalify for the same elite level, but what if you want to move up from GLD to PLT?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:09 am

It seems I'm going to get 24,880 EQMs this year... I emailed AA to see if they'd push me up to GLD but they never replied.

It is safe to assume that I'll get status since I'm over 24,500, or do you suggest I do a cheapo MR?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by rodrigo
It seems I'm going to get 24,880 EQMs this year... I emailed AA to see if they'd push me up to GLD but they never replied.

It is safe to assume that I'll get status since I'm over 24,500, or do you suggest I do a cheapo MR?
In the past AA has made exceptions, but is it safe to assume they will do the same this year? Imo, no, it's not. Were I in your situation, I'd do a mileage run.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:06 am

Exclamation Help - need EXP qual and am 8k short

Well, I'm a newbie so don't flame me pls.

I was counting on double miles, but was told today that it expired Dec 15th -

Have 91K this year and really want to continue EXP status. Will they round me up if I book a trip in Jan? Will they just round me up since I already have EXP status if I beg??

If that is a pipe dream, is there a domestic routing that can get me that many miles in say a 2 day period - 29th thru 31stl I mean is there a circuitous route to take domestically to get that many miles in a single multi-city ticket?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

rocket
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
You have not said where you are based. Assuming you are on the East or West coast you could make 2 transcontinental day trips JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO for example. Or you could fly JFK-HNL but that might be pricey at this time of year (have not checked any prices for you). Alternatively, you could find a cheap fare to Europe if you are based on the West Coast. Even if you are in DFW or ORD you could fly round-trip to MIA, fly back to the West coast and route it multi-segment until you get the required mileage.

FYI there is a specific mileage run thread on this forum.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:54 am

I'm based @ MCI

Honolulu is super pricey. I tried to do a routing from MCI-BWI-JFK-DFW-MCI but even that doesn't make a dent...
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rocketteer
I was counting on double miles, but was told today that it expired Dec 15th -
When did you last fly?

Reason for asking is that the final batch of bonus miles have not yet posted so if you've flown in the last 3 weeks or so up to the 15th you may still have some miles to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.