Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Nope

I agree that those answers are right, I just figured I'd sum them up so 1) nobody flames him and 2)help him rephrase to perhaps garner whatever info. he can that is relevant/helpful. Just figured by preempting people, that they wouldn't feel the need to post harshly. Maybe take it easy on the newbie. I don't think ripping this guy a new one will prevent very many posts. But then again, no good deed goes unpunished.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Well, travel, FWIW I very much appreciate your useful suggestion. Thanks again.

Keep up the good deeds!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
As those who've seen my other thread this evening can tell, I'm kind of new to the ways of AA despite my EXP status. I may be flying SFO-MIA on Mon., Feb. 16, first flight, and back on Wed., Feb. 18, probably first flight. Right now the seating chart shows 13 seats empty outbound and 14 coming back.

I realize seating charts can be misleading, but if this info means anything, what do the folks who regularly fly and upgrade this route guess my chances of scoring upgrades on these flights would be if I ticketed tonight? (I realize that without using VIPs the upgrades wouldn't clear until down the line, if at all.)

Thanks for any estimates.
On thing we also tend to look at i the number of exit row seats taken to gauge the number of elites. However, as EXP, with this many seats open on Mon and Wednesday, it looks good. You might also check the number of VIP/Miles upgrades available if you look at ExpertFlyer.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:07 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I looked at EF and the first flight of the day SFO-MIA is listed as F7. No upgrade inventory in any class is showing.

Your chances aren't great, but not terrible either. Having EXP status definitely will help.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:32 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by mvoight
On thing we also tend to look at i the number of exit row seats taken to gauge the number of elites. However, as EXP, with this many seats open on Mon and Wednesday, it looks good. You might also check the number of VIP/Miles upgrades available if you look at ExpertFlyer.
If I book early enough (because it varies from flight to flight), I also count the number of 'Premium' seats on the EF seatmap so I can later figure out how many have been taken by elites as the flight draws closer.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:37 pm

MIA-SFO is a reasonable route for upgrade chances. Never had a problem as PLT getting the upgrade at T-72. The later flights in both direction are usually better than the earlier ones as the earlier ones give better connectivity to Latin America so tend to be more elite heavy.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:40 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The later flight was showing F7 A2, so there is some upgrade space available (for evip or miles)

I know the suspense is killing you, but whether you get upgraded or not is totally out of your control. Try not to worry about it too much!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I also see the "Instant Upgrade" price seems to be in the ~$700 r/t plus fees and taxes, so that might be an indication of better availability - they were getting over $1000 not so long ago iirc.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
Dfw to lga gld sticker upgrades

Have any GLDs had any luck lately with DFW TO LGA Upgrades? I know it's still probably a crapshoot but thought I'd ask if anyone has had any luck. The reason I'm even asking is I've noticed that my friend and I are still the only two pax with exit row seats reserved, meaning it may not be very elite heavy. Also, no bookings in F class yet, except one I believe. We've had our upgrade requests in since January 7th.

We are leaving on Friday April 3rd on #700 at like 6am and returning at 7:15pm on Sunday the 5th on #787.

THANKS!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFW25FLY
Have any GLDs had any luck lately with DFW TO LGA Upgrades? I know it's still probably a crapshoot but thought I'd ask if anyone has had any luck. The reason I'm even asking is I've noticed that my friend and I are still the only two pax with exit row seats reserved, meaning it may not be very elite heavy. Also, no bookings in F class yet, except one I believe. We've had our upgrade requests in since January 7th.

We are leaving on Friday April 3rd on #700 at like 6am and returning at 7:15pm on Sunday the 5th on #787.

THANKS!

One caveat. It is the start of Spring/Easter break for many school children, who might not be able to fly in first class. Other than looking at exit row seating, did you see what number of priority seats were occupied. Many of us at higher levels have family members that can't sit in exit rows. Additionally, sometimes we sit together in non-priority seats if we can't find enough priority seats together.

I don't really see the issue. You have requested the upgrade already, let it go. It doesn't sound like you booked the trip betting on the upgrade.

Last edited by mvoight; Mar 7, 2009 at 10:16 pm
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
The reason I'm even asking is I've noticed that my friend and I are still the only two pax with exit row seats reserved, meaning it may not be very elite heavy. Also, no bookings in F class yet, except one I believe.
LGA-DFW is one of the most elite heavy routes in the system. Over a month out, it is not unusual to have open seats in F or the exit row. The seats will fill up closer to departure time and First will fill up once the upgrade windows open if there still enough unsold seats in F. I've been in the back along with other PLTs and EXPs. You may have a shot if someone oversleeps and misses their 6am flight.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
Also, no bookings in F class yet, except one I believe.

As you can see above, mvoight... I did mention in my original post that there were no bookings in F class yet from what I saw. So, YES I did look at the seat maps for BOTH cabins, not just economy.

I have "let it go" as you so kindly said. However, I posted because I was curious for others experiences on the route, despite it being very elite heavy. The point of my posting was to see other GLDs experiences on the route. Because, I have heard of some getting UGed on the early am flights, off-peak flights.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

never mind
Old Mar 8, 2009, 1:53 am

I fly this route very frequently leaving DFW friday afternoon/midday. Last year I was probably 10% as platinum (although 100% on return LGA-DFW on monday mid-morning to midday)
Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP

THANKS!
You may get the Friday AM. Since I am not leaving for DFW until the next day (Saturday) at least you won't have one more NY EXP to compete with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.