Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
what is probably more important is how far ahead you bought your ticket, as the priority system now is based primarily on that, after IRROPS and status, of course.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: 1MM, AAPLT, Hyatt GP
Since I'll be going once a month or so for 6-7 months that will give me opp. to buy pretty far in advance, fare sales allowing. Consenus seems to be... not so much the equipment, but when you fly and when you buy.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Having done a few flights in MD80 F and 1 in 757 F, I was more comfortable in the MD80. Make that what you will.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Having done a few flights in MD80 F and 1 in 757 F, I was more comfortable in the MD80. Make that what you will.
I also think the MD80 F seats are better than the 757 ones, but only on the right-hand side of the F cabin.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by billgrates3
I also think the MD80 F seats are better than the 757 ones, but only on the right-hand side of the F cabin.
And better to be on a full 2 seat side than a full 3 seat side if stuck in Y..
As long as you aren't in the back of the MD80
Too much noise.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
And better to be on a full 2 seat side than a full 3 seat side if stuck in Y..
As long as you aren't in the back of the MD80
Too much noise.
yep, the exit aisle seats are just fine, esp. on the left "2-seat" side, but you've got to avoid the way-back rows at all costs!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 1k
IMO the F seats are more comfortable on the md80 than the 757. This is especially the case if you are planning to sleep, where there is mercilessly no good place to rest your head or pillow. I'd rather fly Y on the MD-80, which has those nice bend-around head supporters, when needing sleep, than F on a 757.

Of course, no clue when the newly remodelled 75Ls will roll out, or where.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, UA GLD, Marriott GLD, Hyatt GLD
IMO the F seats are more comfortable on the md80 than the 757.

I second that opinion...
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
I'll post a differing view here. I prefer the F cabin on the 757 vs the MD80. The seats are indeed old, however I prefer the extra width and generally it feels less cramped to me on the a 3+ hour flight.

I also prefer the 2 F FA's on the 757 vs the one on the MD80. Generally leads to better service.

Now if AA would ever get around to redoing the 757 cabins, it would really be a no brainer for me then.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by grahampros
I'll post a differing view here. I prefer the F cabin on the 757 vs the MD80. The seats are indeed old, however I prefer the extra width and generally it feels less cramped to me on the a 3+ hour flight.

I also prefer the 2 F FA's on the 757 vs the one on the MD80. Generally leads to better service.

Now if AA would ever get around to redoing the 757 cabins, it would really be a no brainer for me then.
My, too, but I don't choose flights based on the narrowbody a/c type.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Chances of SFO-MIA-SFO upgrades?

As those who've seen my other thread this evening can tell, I'm kind of new to the ways of AA despite my EXP status. I may be flying SFO-MIA on Mon., Feb. 16, first flight, and back on Wed., Feb. 18, probably first flight. Right now the seating chart shows 13 seats empty outbound and 14 coming back.

I realize seating charts can be misleading, but if this info means anything, what do the folks who regularly fly and upgrade this route guess my chances of scoring upgrades on these flights would be if I ticketed tonight? (I realize that without using VIPs the upgrades wouldn't clear until down the line, if at all.)

Thanks for any estimates.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jan 15, 2009 at 9:20 pm
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
My reccomendation

Edit your post b/f people go crazy and flame you. Everyone always makes the same joke:
3.1423428248488428248288823 %.

Next they write seat maps are totally irrelevant. And, the most important factors are time of day and day of the week and avoiding major holidays/vacation weeks... Same stuff every time
What you need to ask is if anyone who flies this route regularly and has done so for some time can give you some idea of how the upgrades usually clear and such. My 2 cents.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Done. Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Not a regular AA flyer, but flew MIA-SFO this past Sunday in F. I was trying to switch to a different flight (award) and I was watching inventory closely, hoping it would open. I did not get what I wanted, and I was surprised to see both afternoon flights nearly sold out in F more than 1 week out (pre-upgrade windows).

Then again, knowing the amount of cash in both MIA and SFO, and AA has the only nonstop, it shouldn't be surprising.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by travelismylife

Next they write seat maps are totally irrelevant. And, the most important factors are time of day and day of the week and avoiding major holidays/vacation weeks... Same stuff every time
You make it sound as if these answers are not relevant. When the same (unanswerable) question is asked "every time" would you not expect the same totally relevant and valid answers to be given "every time?" Or would you prefer folks to make up different things each time to add more variety to a banal set of repeated posts?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.