Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ExecPlatWife
[snip]
The agents in SNA tell him that they have more EXPs flying from there than any other airport. (That seems off to me; maybe they mean more than any other non-hub, or a larger percentage of travelers.) [snip]
I'd think there's more EXP's using SJC than SNA ... but have no evidence either way. Glad to even get Y seat on AUS-SJC "nerd bird" on Mon am or Fri pm, let alone upgrade to F.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA
I use miles when going to SNA, and it works well. As a PLT, I have only been upgraded there once. Too many EXP, any way you slice it. However, I find mileage upgrades have some success.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
SNA is my home airport, and I've done 2274 many times, generally successful in getting the upgrade (4 hours prior to flight time) and I buy tix 3-4 weeks out. I've been told by AAngels in lots of places that SNA has the highest percentage of elite staus flyers of any airport, which seems likely. After they board the EXP/PLT and Group 1, more than half the plane is boarded.

Your best bet as a PLT is to check online 4-5 hours before the flight to get an exit row seat vacated by an EXP getting the last minute upgrade. Or burn miles for the upgrade.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Delta Gold, Hertz #1 FSG
in ORD

Well, I didn't make it, but found my seat in 18F perfectly ok since I slept the whole flight. At the gate prior to takeoff it looked like I may have had at least 20 people ahead of me, so, to a future traveller, it really doesnt seem like SNA-ORD on a Monday AM flight gives you any chance to upgrade as a PLT. Lots and LOTS of EXPs, PLATs and AAIrpass boarded with me.

On a side note, walking through F de-boarding, it looked really crappy/old, so I dont feel like I missed out on much of anything. Guess thats F in 752.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:21 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yellowhelmets
On a side note, walking through F de-boarding, it looked really crappy/old, ...
And Y didn't?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:44 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Upgrades Chances as a PLT

Being a PLT, my upgrades chances varies depending on routes. I'm would like to know chances on upgrading a specific routes for 1 person. Please put into consideration that I would normally fly on sundays, fridays, and mondays, Please scale between 0 to 10 with 0 being you hit the jackpot of being upgraded to 10 being it's not your day today. For me, YVR-DFW 7, YYZ-LGA 10, LGA-BNA 9, ORD-YYZ 10 Can someone possibly tell me LGA-DFW since I'll be doing that in 2 weeks? Feel free to post any additional city pairings.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 4:30 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
LGA DFW tons on full Y and full F not to mention everyone else seems to be EXP. The AAngels also tend to move people around a lot so one minute you are #1 to upgrade the next #5. So it's a 15
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Given the route and the dates you fly - your chances are not at all good, but I'm not a professional.

Paging HNL.....
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
An odd scale that 0 is the best score and 10 the worst.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by mach92
The AAngels also tend to move people around a lot so one minute you are #1 to upgrade the next #5. So it's a 15
No one moves names around on the upgrade list. When someone is added, they are inserted into the list based on status, check-in time, travel disruptions, etc. Just because one is in position #1 when added to the list does not mean that they will stay there.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I'd rate your chances of scoring a LGA-DFW upgrade a 10, meaning a 0.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Please scale between 0 to 10
Heck, this forum has a resource that will give you a prediction within two decimal points.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:34 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alien
Heck, this forum has a resource that will give you a prediction within two decimal points.

The patented Up-Check® program – at your service.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I would say that the best, and most accurate way to predict your upgrade success on these routes is to fly them a lot, keep track of upgrade success and failure when you fly. Take the number of successes and divide by the total number of attempts. Subtract this fraction from 1. Multiply this result by 10. This will give you the result you seek on the 0-high scale you have chosen. This will, of course, have little bearing on future flights, but it will provide data.

Cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
The patented Up-Check® program – at your service.
Glad to hear it's no longer patent-pending!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.