Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
AA Plat...leisure market...off-peak times. Seems like the odds would be in your favor assuming we are talking about normal mainline aircraft.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
You are asking a question that isn't realistically something that anyone on this board can answer w/any certainty. Sure, Wed and Sat are less popular travel days so perhaps this will increase the chance of an upgrade - but maybe not. There are far too many variables at play.

I approach domestic upgrades as a bonus: I always request them and when they clear, great, when they don't - I end up in the class of service I paid for. This has been my strategy for about 15 years now, as a GLD (3 years) PLT (7 years) EXP (5 years). My advice: request them both, and see what happens.

Last edited by dstan; Jul 17, 2009 at 11:19 am Reason: redacted quote of deleted material
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Wed and Sat are less popular travel days so perhaps this will increase the chance of an upgrade - but maybe not. There are far too many variables at play ..... My advice: request them both, and see what happens.
I'm guessing this is exactly the answer the OP was looking for.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bdemaria
You are asking a question that isn't realistically something that anyone on this board can answer w/any certainty. Sure, Wed and Sat are less popular travel days so perhaps this will increase the chance of an upgrade - but maybe not. There are far too many variables at play.

I approach domestic upgrades as a bonus: I always request them and when they clear, great, when they don't - I end up in the class of service I paid for. This has been my strategy for about 15 years now, as a GLD (3 years) PLT (7 years) EXP (5 years). My advice: request them both, and see what happens.
thanks. thats exactly what i am doing. requested right after booking.

just was curious about the probability from people's experience ... but seems like that has a thread of its own.

thanks for all the responses including the tongue in cheek ones.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
In all seriousness, this sort of question gets asked a lot (I mean really a lot), and this is part of the reason for the tongue-in-cheek answers.

As noted, it can't be answered. Even relying on past experiences gives very little value. All that counts is what happens on your flight,and any number of other factors could play into this. Lots of people ask, but there's really no way to predict.

Cheers.

Last edited by dstan; Jul 17, 2009 at 11:20 am Reason: redacted quote of deleted material
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:30 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
cover point's thread has now been merged into the consolidated thread on this topic. Some do find responses to such questions valuable, some do not. As such, I suggest the following:

• When you see new threads on this subject, please use the RBP button to request a merge.

• If you have experiences or opinions on a specific route, or comments about general trends, please feel free to post them (as has been done above). There is already a FAQ entry regarding general trends.

• If you have opinions on the effectiveness of such questions and/or responses thereto, you are, of course, more than welcome to post your reasoning as well (as has also been done above).

• If you have nothing substantive to contribute, then let's save the bandwidth

Thanks for your consideration.

/Moderator
Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Odds of PLT upgrade on LAX-JFK

Just booked a same-day MR for LAX-JFK-LAX in O class. I know that this is a very EXP-heavy route, and since I'm PLT I typically use miles + copay to guarantee a transcon upgrade, but I can't do that off of an O fare so I'm going to take my chances with stickers. I'm hopeful that by booking the flight for a Saturday (leave LAX @ 8:20 AM and leave JFK @ 7:20 PM) I may avoid the crush of EXPs. I know a few bicoastal entertainment types that will use either the late afternoon or redeye Friday legs to fly to JFK and then return to LAX late Sunday, thereby giving them most of the weekend in NYC - and avoiding travel on Sat, leaving (in theory) most of those seats to leisure-class travellers. Of course this could just be wishful thinking on my part.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL GLD, STARWOOD GLD, HH SLVR, HYATT GLD, GPP SLVR
I'd say its a coin flip. My stickers usually clear first since I connect to LAX from SAN before continuing on to the East coast, and my success was over 50% for these transcons as GLD, and a bit higher for PLT. Nothing that a few sleeping pills couln't fix if you flip wrong, though.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Only one sure way "to know the odds" of an upgrade clearing. The AA FT Board has a secret way of checking these things. Paging HNL. Got another one! See also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

All fun aside, LAX-JFK can be tough.

Safe Travels
Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Before I became EXP I had a 100% success rate on LAX-JFK. The odd time it was last minute before it cleared, on one occassion I was seat in Y and they came and got me, but it always did clear. Goodluck.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GTITAN
All fun aside, LAX-JFK can be tough.
And SAN-JFK can be near impossible...
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDallas
If adding 2 hours to the itinerary isn't a big deal, then that's why I always recommend connecting in LAX instead of the straight-shot SAN-JFK flight. At least you have a decent chance of upgrading then.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SanDiegoDallas
I've never missed an upgrade on the SAN-JFK route.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by reubencahn
I've never missed an upgrade on the SAN-JFK route.
I actually was going to ask how EXP's tend to fare on this route. Seeing I'll be a newly minted EXP next month, I'll take this post into consideration on future travel plans.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by cover point
As a platinum what are my chances of getting an upgrade from ord to mco. Flying a noon flight on wed afternoon.

also the return is on a saturday evening .... so should be easier to upgrade i guess?
So did you clear? Maybe I missed the update. Always helpful to have that data point. I would think you did because I've cleared as a gold but always helpful to know for sure since it mattered so much to you initially

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.