Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Just curious... Why would A class matter since "A" books into first on this route? I'm assuming that the OP is trying to do just a plain sticker upgrade into business.
On the two-class flights on this route, the sticker upgrade would book into first, so 'A' gives some indication of available first class inventory.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by brp
On the two-class flights on this route, the sticker upgrade would book into first, so 'A' gives some indication of available first class inventory.

Cheers.
Right. That's just one flight. I don't think it gives you any indication of a chance for an upgrade this far out. My 20 years of flying the week before Thanksgiving shows that the flights are usually pretty full with business travelers. Telling someone a month away that "chances look good" in this thread is irresponsbile.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:17 pm
nsr

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I could fly out on any time on Tuesday or early Wednesday and return any time on Friday or early Saturday.
Early Sat is much better than Fri, as usually less business travelers travel on the weekend. I would go on any of the 763, since you might be able to grab row 17, if the upgrade doesn't clear. The 762 might give you a slightly better chance though, in case people are upgrading from J->F.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
my guess woulde be the 6pm on sat from jfk....good luck...
Old Oct 18, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
if there is space available, is it possible go secure the upgrade earlier using miles + copay rather than waiting for stickers to clear? (possibly doing the reverse route and thinking of how to secure biz class for a redeye if possible)

Last edited by closetasfan; Oct 18, 2009 at 5:19 pm
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Right. That's just one flight. I don't think it gives you any indication of a chance for an upgrade this far out. My 20 years of flying the week before Thanksgiving shows that the flights are usually pretty full with business travelers. Telling someone a month away that "chances look good" in this thread is irresponsbile.
Well, regardless of whether it was irresponsible, it was well-intentioned, and I know that I have to take any upgrade advice with a grain of salt. Anyway, thanks to you both and to all others for the input, including the cautions about flying even the week before Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:29 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Maybe true, but irrelevant to what you asked (and I answered). You asked why one would want to look at 'A' for this routing (since that represents first) and I simply responded that some upgrades on this route book into first, so review of 'A' is relevant. Period.

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I booked a ticket Thursday DFW-ORD same day RT for travel today, Monday. I thought the UG was a big deal & hard to come by. But when I got to my gate it showed I was cleared! I didn't expect that.

BTW I still have a perfect 79-79 upgrade % this year.

Yeah AA. :-)

No changes please!

Last edited by Sholey; Oct 19, 2009 at 4:21 pm
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
You lucked out then! EXP definitely has it's advantages (so I hear ). I'm taking that flight on Saturday and fully expect it to be one of the few upgrades that don't clear this year.
Originally Posted by Sholey
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I booked a ticket Thursday DFW-ORD same day RT for travel today, Monday. I thought the UG was a big deal & hard to come by. But when I got to my gate it showed I was cleared! I didn't expect that.

BTW I still have a perfect 79-79 upgrade % this year.

Yeah AA. :-)

No changes please!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
I have found both the DFW-ORD and ORD-DFW to be hit or miss. Many times, on popular days, F is filled with Intl connecting people who are on F, J, D, I tickets, along with those that are in A class for an INt'l upgrade. So full that it is zeroed out many days in advance or have maybe F1 or F2.

Then, there was a Friday in late August when I took the 777 DFW-ORD and a few golds cleared for an upgrade! YMMV!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:23 pm

Only upgrade as an EXP I missed last year was ORD-DFW on this flight.

Only upgrade I have missed this year is ORD-BOS on MD-80 Thu afternoon. Really odd, but considering that over 80% of the plane was business flyers and that only 4-5 seats left at the 100hr mark in F.

I am taking the ORD-DFW again this year on Fri. So far has not cleared.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
My experience has been that sticker upgrades are pretty tough on the ORD-DFW 777. I have only flown this flight on Thursday and Friday, which obviously adds to the difficulty, but it is without a doubt the flight I most commonly don't clear on. DFW-ORD is a bit easier, but that may just be a result of flying this leg on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Overall, I would say I am 25-33% on the ORD-DFW and around 50% on the DFW-ORD.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Only upgrade missed this year 777 ORD DFW 3 weeks ago.

It's not easy, everyone loves this flight
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by cmhua777
DFW-ORD is a bit easier, but that may just be a result of flying this leg on Mondays and Tuesdays.
And the time of day.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:10 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
I have 3 of these flights coming in the next 4 weeks. I am hoping to clear at least one so I can experience the "suite", minus the international spin.

I discovered this flight just a few weeks ago and now I always book it when flying MSP-DFW-MSP ex ORD. If not only for the Biz seats, but for the chance to sit in the coveted 777 F seats.

About 2 weeks ago I was scheduled for the flight and my RST-ORD flight was delayed past the depature time for the ORD-DFW leg. Being proactive I called AA and had them book me on the 7pm ORD-DFW. ORD-DFW was showing as on-time this whole time) On the way to ORD the AE pilot informed us that even depatures from ORD were behind due to visability. At this point I was kicking myself for being proactive, as I knew that even if the 777 was still there, there was no way I was going to get a Biz seat back.

Alas, the plane was still there and the only seat left was a middle section, row 36!! I was like #30 on the UG list anyway. Needless to say I just went ahead and took the on time 7pm flight, as the 777 was delayed until 6:30pm anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.