Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by dstan
There's another thread somewhere on refreshing upgrade requests after a change in status.
Here it is.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Dec 4, 2009, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I think it is possible for res agents to reset the request time for sticker upgrades to at least the date/time of purchase. Your JFK-LAX AA3 flight on Saturday is currently J3, so it's not looking good right now, but that can always change.

There's another thread somewhere on refreshing upgrade requests after a change in status.
Why would they reset it to time of purchase, rather than time of the initial request?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:26 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I think it is possible for res agents to reset the request time for sticker upgrades to at least the date/time of purchase. Your JFK-LAX AA3 flight on Saturday is currently J3, so it's not looking good right now, but that can always change.

Thanks, dstan! I believe I followed the procedure for refreshing upgrade requests correctly, but whether it really got done is another question. Honestly, after having the requests totally cancelled out once and not reinstated, I was reluctant to do much more nagging once I got them back in, but I suppose I could be paranoid and call in one more time to check. And thanks for the inventory check, time to pick up a sandwich on the way to the airport as a backup plan.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:31 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why would they reset it to time of purchase, rather than time of the initial request?
That certainly may be possible, too, hence the "at least", but it's the only datapoint I have personally and it's a time that we know is in the PNR.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
That certainly may be possible, too, hence the "at least", but it's the only datapoint I have personally and it's a time that we know is in the PNR.
It does seem that date of request is possible, because when the 2nd agent put my requests back in, she said "it's in as (my original request date)", not the purchase date.

And I somehow cleared this morning (woohoo!) without even having to buy a backup sandwich. Life is good.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
My London flight is showing no availability in business but I got upgraded anyway; but no seat. And my very nice seat in coach gone of course. Im entertaining a mix of relief and skepticism It is showing a lot of room in first. I suspect people are moving up. At least I hope that is what is happening.

Edited to add

Checked back and it went from R4 to R1 now back to R3 and some empty seats. I guess people moved fights. Anyway, I got a good seat assignment in business so I am a happy camper.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 4, 2009 at 7:20 pm
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
My London flight is showing no availability in business but I got upgraded anyway; but no seat. And my very nice seat in coach gone of course. Im entertaining a mix of relief and skepticism It is showing a lot of room in first. I suspect people are moving up. At least I hope that is what is happening.
First of all, there's no such thing as a "very nice seat in coach." The worst that can happen to you is that you get a middle seat in J, and the best is that you get an op-up to F, so what are you worried about?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Blumie
First of all, there's no such thing as a "very nice seat in coach." The worst that can happen to you is that you get a middle seat in J, and the best is that you get an op-up to F, so what are you worried about?
It happened to me once before, on a domestic flight that I got an upgrade notice, with no seat and when I got to the airport, I was back in coach. But as I edited to add, it seems to have resolved in that there are some seats open now and I got one (in J).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
SFO-DFW EXP heavy on a Sunday evening?

Anyone have any experience with how EXP-heavy the Sunday evening SFO-DFW flight is? My partner and I are on #1528 departing 4:25pm this Sunday and I am hoping our UG clears.

Seat map shows 10/16 remain available in F and EF shows F7 A7 P7. He is on a different PNR then I am so I called in and had them do a No-Split UG request. My original UG request date was October 13th and then called EXP desk and had it updated when I hit EXP a couple of weeks ago.

I guess I'm just kinda paranoid after our AUS-DFW Monday morning flight did not clear. However, didn't really care about that one since it's only about a 35-minute flight.

So if anyone can shed any UG experiences on this route/flight I'd be most grateful!

Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:11 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I'm PLT and have experience with that route and that flight but not on Sunday. My upgrade percentage is quite high.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
What's it take to get an upgrade?

23 hours till departure, 9 of 16 first class seats are still for sale. Its a 757 and there are coach seats for sale with availability including in the exit rows. Flight is DFW-ORD on Dec 31st 9:20am.

I am a fairly new EXP, so what shoud I do? Go ahead and check in or wait and see if the upgrade clears before checking in?

FYI, I read the sticky.

Last edited by envgeo; Dec 30, 2009 at 8:57 am Reason: include the route per the thread guidelines
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Blumie
First of all, there's no such thing as a "very nice seat in coach."
So you don't rate 31ABHJ on the 777? Fine: all the more for the rest of us!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
I would just wait. It will clear, don't worry. I typically don't do OLCI until mine clear. I mean what's the rush to check in? As an EXP traveling with a companion DFW-OMA-DFW over the Holidays, one cleared right at 24 hours out and the other cleared at 5 hours out.

You have to remember they have that tiny glimmer of hope some last minute travelers will book New Years travel or perhaps cash in some miles at the top tier.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I'm in a similar situation for a flight 25 hours out. I plan to OLCI at 24 hours into an exit row seat and hope for the best at the airport. My upgrades have generally cleared closer to the 100-hour, but I have a very limited experience as EXP.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
1) DFW upgrades often are late in the game -- around 4-5 hours before the flight. It's just part of DFW.

2) DFW-ORD is hub-hub. A lot of EXPs on that route but as has been said, you are lucky that Dec 31st isn't a big EXP travel day.

3) Travelers with connections through DFW have priority over those with single DFW-XXX flights, but you should be ok -- read 2.

4) When did you buy your ticket? Upgrade priority is based on status and date of request.

5) Check-in won't affect your upgrade request, but I always check again with GA or TA to make sure I'm on the upgrade list (and to ask about my chances)...if the E-Z checkin machine doesn't already spit out an upgraded ticket.

AA has tickets for sale *gasp*. It's better for their business if they sell some of those seats than give them all away to upgraders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.