Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by sts603
I'm at 100% as an EXP including flights like AA 10 on a Sunday. About half of my flights are clearing at the window. The other half have been within the last 24 hours. Nevertheless, only one has gone to the gate (the aforementioned AA 10).

Upgrades are still very plentiful for most EXPs.
so for a lowly Platinum like myself, chances are probably very slim, especially with a sold-out first class cabin.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by MiloDrinker
why isn't your husband letting you sit in his first class seat? he can sit in coach.
Haha. It's because he is 6 foot and I feel so bad when he is squished into a tiny coach seat when I can find myself relatively comfortable across two seats. With the lie flat seats in first class, I figure he can at least be comfortable. Also, I am the mileage earner in the relationship and I used my miles to get him the seat while I sit in coach earning my miles so that someday, we might be able to sit together in first class=).
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:11 pm

Business Upgrade to China

Book the fight in January and was wait listed. We fly in September. What are the chances of getting the upgrade? Right now 10 of 35 seats are taken.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
It's very hard to predict something like this.

Last edited by yojimbo; Jul 13, 2010 at 7:14 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yojimbo
43.765757%
Plus or minus.

Paging HNL.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Your question has been added to the active thread on this topic. A reading might give you some ideas of the variables involved - date of request, elite status of passengers, number of passengers on the same record, the irrelevance of seat charts to chances of upgrading (seat charts merely reflect assigned seats, not sold seats), etc. Good luck!

Originally Posted by t1059
Book the fight in January and was wait listed. We fly in September. What are the chances of getting the upgrade? Right now 10 of 35 seats are taken.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by t1059
As others have noted, there are a lot of variables that can affect whether or not you get an upgrade. I'd say the odds are good , as it looks now, but there are no guarantees.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Hello,

I am flying LAX-DEN and am wondering how hard it is to get an upgrade on that route. Are there many elites on that route? I will be flying midweek sometime this summer should be end of July early august.

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
LHR-DFW - reserved 7 months in advance

I requested the C upgrade 7 months ago for me and my wife for 7-31. During a random check on Expert Flyer back in March, I found 1 seat in C bucket for my wife. Now 16 days out as an EXP still no upgrade, but there are still 5 seats in J and 5 in F (although the hope there is some J passenger will get an op upgrade and free a seat for me.) This is the longest I have ever reserved in advance without the upgrade clearing in advance. Outbound is today and that cleared at time of booking.

I am part of a group so I had no choice on the routing and flights. The lesson from reviewing Expert Flyer is that BOS and ORD are better routes for upgrades to/from LHR. The C bucket looks pretty bleak the next three weekends on LHR-DFW.

Monitoring the seat map did pay off, I did snag exit row window on the 777, which is far better than what I had before.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by porsche534
I was under the assumption a systemwide upgrade would clear as early as booking if C and A inventory were available? Is this not the case?
As another poster noted, that's how it should happen. I've cleared eVIP upgrades up to 8 or 9 months in advance (both domestic and international segments) so I don't understand why the agent couldn't clear a portion of you trip at 4 months. Did you call back? If so, what was the result? I'm interested to know.

Edited: Never mind. I missed your earlier reply. I'm up to speed now.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jul 15, 2010 at 9:39 am
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:12 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
As another poster noted, that's how it should happen. I've cleared eVIP upgrades up to 8 or 9 months in advance (both domestic and international segments) so I don't understand why the agent couldn't clear a portion of you trip at 4 months. Did you call back? If so, what was the result? I'm interested to know.
Yup.We just cleared yesterday for a December/January trip to PEK. Both international and domestic legs in both directions.

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
I requested the C upgrade 7 months ago for me and my wife for 7-31. During a random check on Expert Flyer back in March, I found 1 seat in C bucket for my wife. Now 16 days out as an EXP still no upgrade, but there are still 5 seats in J and 5 in F (although the hope there is some J passenger will get an op upgrade and free a seat for me.) This is the longest I have ever reserved in advance without the upgrade
Do you have a lot of SWUs in your account? If so and the upgrade hasn't cleared by the date of the flight, check w/the GA to see if you can use one to upgrade someone from J to F, and then upgrade yourself from Y to J. Just don't do this until you confirm that you could get the open J seat.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jul 15, 2010 at 9:05 am
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Do you have a lot of SWUs in your account? If so and the upgrade hasn't cleared by the date of the flight, check w/the GA to see if you can upgrade use one to upgrade someone from J to F, and then upgrade yourself from Y to J. Just don't do this until you confirm that you could get the open J seat.
Thanks for the idea. I have plenty left in the account and will gladly let someone go to F on a certificate if that will get me into J.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MiloDrinker
so for a lowly Platinum like myself, chances are probably very slim, especially with a sold-out first class cabin.
Yes. AA 10 on Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays is one of the hardest flights in the system to clear. Even EXPs that haven't booked at least several weeks out are bound to be in coach.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Offered UPG on AA1295 MCO-LAX for $225

Checked in at kiosk for my MCO-LAX segment and was offered an upgrade to First (A class) for $225.00 total. I took it!
Good deal for a long haul from east to west. Was also offered a lunch and all the regular amenities of first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.