Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:09 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
F0 isn't always the kiss of death. I was flying DFW-LAS last week and had resigned myself to sitting in back, McDonalds bag in hand. As it turns out, 4 pax on paid F tickets misconnected so I got the upgrade at the last minute.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10)

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
F0 isn't always the kiss of death. I was flying DFW-LAS last week and had resigned myself to sitting in back, McDonalds bag in hand. As it turns out, 4 pax on paid F tickets misconnected so I got the upgrade at the last minute.
Absolutely. I was upgraded at the gate on an LHR-JFK a couple months ago as it showed J0 for days before the flight. This was during some odd seat disappearing times that I think were caused by a BA strike.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 4:15 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Following EF daily to see if the 4F and 6J seats that are available for the NRT/DFW flight get released. Y completely booked. SWU, please go through!!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Agreed. Had a LAX-JFK (AA 10 on a Sunday night) that was F0 J0 a couple hours out. LAX has far fewer misconnects than DFW. Yet 4 EXPs still cleared into J at the gate.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Finally I get to post on here!

What are my chances (I will be PLT at the time of flying) for:

07/12 (monday):
AA556 PHX-MIA
AA1376 MIA-DCA

07/15 (thursday)
AA437 DCA-MIA
AA1007 MIA-PHX

Any segments worth the miles+copay upgrade (booked in Q)?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
EVIP upgrade to NRT - which city?

I'm looking at doing some runs (Sep-Nov) to SIN via NRT and I have lots of EVIPs from the promotion last year. Not a lot of current upgrade availability but appears lots of seats in business. Any thoughts on which city (JFK, ORD, DFW, LAX) that might have a better chance at clearing an EVIP closer to departure?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
LAX always cleared for me. DFW as well. Not sure about the other destinations though.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
LAX always cleared for me. DFW as well. Not sure about the other destinations though.
Living in NYC, my first choice always is from JFK. AA has not disappointed with
business seat upgrades at time of booking. With AA's new flight from JFK to Hameda, I think it will be even easier to obtain J upgrade seats this fall.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
+1 on JFK. More often than not when I fly it to/from NRT/JFK there is at least one empty seat in J by the time we depart.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
The only time I've missed an upgrade to/from NRT (and I think this was a return) was SJC. I daresay that that will still be a tough upgrade.

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I've cleared every time. Twice from DFW and twice from LAX.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I thought they were going to put one of those RJs with F on that run.

Originally Posted by brp
The only time I've missed an upgrade to/from NRT (and I think this was a return) was SJC. I daresay that that will still be a tough upgrade.

Cheers.
This thread will soon be merged into the consolidated "upgrade chances" thread...
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
After 5-6 roundtrips over the past 10 months, another vote for JFK (isolated data point, but I'm on it tomorrow, only booked it Sunday night, 3 day advance, it was C7...)
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Just took a look at some random dates, 9/20-9/27 has avail, and that was part of the first set of dates I looked at. ORD and DFW on the outbound, LAX on the return. Just search expertflyer.com and you'll find the dates you need.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
DFW-NRT has worked for me, not at time of booking, but within a couple of days of travel.

I also went on to SIN via JAL. On the return flight, they operated a 3-class aircraft, but had only 1st and coach tickets, so I got a comfy business class seat on the red-eye to NRT. The travel gods were smiling that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.