Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is this hold out a recent thing? I was cleared on ORD-PVG (not PEK) for a March flight about a month ahead of departure, but that was 2 months ago.
There have been sporadic reports of advance clearing, but PVG is normally a very late-clearing upgrade. Apparently, they have significant amounts of paid premium travel.
Old May 30, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dstan
I don't think LGA-ORD is a good use of miles for an Award Upgrade. If you get lucky with the stickers, great. If not, it's a short flight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread has now been merged in to the existing Chances of Upgrade Clearing thread, which, in addition to being available via Search as noted by brp above, is also linked directly from our FAQ at the top of the forum.

• What are the chances that my upgrade will clear?

/Moderator

I wouldnt use miles for any upgrade, but if OP wants to sit in first after buying coach then OP should.
Old May 30, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by LatusElAl
I would really appreciate somebody (or many somebodys) telling me my chances, as a GLD, to upgrade from economy to business with "stickers' on:
- AA 33 JFK to LAX Sunday morning at 7:30AM
- AA 30 LAX to JFK Tuesday midnight redeye

Thanks so much!
These will be very difficult to upgrade because those flights are very top tier heavy, and many use their VIPs to be confirmed right away. I'd say you have more of a chance on the Sunday morning flight, but redeyes are usually very full, especially out of LAX. GL!
Old May 30, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by demkr
These will be very difficult to upgrade because those flights are very top tier heavy, and many use their VIPs to be confirmed right away. I'd say you have more of a chance on the Sunday morning flight, but redeyes are usually very full, especially out of LAX. GL!
I suppose, then I should use miles + copay for the redeye?
The AAgent I spoke with told me that the redeye's are light on Tuesday nights b/c its mid-week.
Old May 30, 2010, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question SFO-MIA upgrade question

Will fly SFO-MIA-SFO in August for a couple of days. I know there are no guarantees, but any educated guesses re whether my upgrade chances are better if I fly during the week or on the weekend (e.g., Fri-Sun, Sat-Mon). Will probably book on the remaining 763 flights.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Atl-mia #1945

Flight #1945 - ATL to MIA

Did not clear at the 72, 48 or 24 hour mark. Checked in online 24 hours before my flight. Upgrade cleared the same day - 1:39 p.m. for a 6:30 p.m. flight. First was full, including 4 really annoying/bratty kids & their mother... but that's a whole other story!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
LGA-ORD flight 303 tomorrow ... F0. Booked the trip weeks ago. Never missed an upgrade on this route even when I was low level. This summer is going to truly suck. Capacity cuts (while other airlines continue to expand) and middle seats for business travelers on midcons are NOT a good way to reward loyalty

Update: upgraded at gate!

Last edited by demkr; Jun 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Do not mean to hijack this thread but my question is not worthy of a thread of its own and its about upgrades. I booked a ticket using miles to SJU from BOS and wanted to know if I am still eligible for a free upgrade even though its not a paid fare. Anyone knows? thanks
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by psyflyer
still eligible
No.

Cheers.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I booked a ticket using miles to SJU from BOS and wanted to know if I am still eligible for a free upgrade even though its not a paid fare. Anyone knows?
Yes, I think it's safe to say that someone knows.

Seriously, though, your question is oft-asked. Did you consult the FT AA wiki or AA.com? Both sources hold the answer (which btw is "no" you are not eligible for a complimentary upgrade on an award ticket.)
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:55 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Do not mean to hijack this thread but my question is not worthy of a thread of its own and its about upgrades. I booked a ticket using miles to SJU from BOS and wanted to know if I am still eligible for a free upgrade even though its not a paid fare. Anyone knows? thanks
And just for future reference, it's also mentioned in the Executive Platinum guide (http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...ber_Guide.pdf), albeit in the fine print:

Complimentary upgrades are applicable for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members traveling on all purchased, published fares. You may also request a complimentary upgrade for one companion traveling on the same flight also on a purchased, published fare booked in Y or B, excluding military/government fares.

Upgrades may be used for yourself and one travel companion in conjunction with purchased, published Economy Class fare tickets, and are not valid for use with an AAdvantage travel award, any free ticket or opaque fares.
(bolding/underlining is mine)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:49 am

Programs: Sarah Kirschbaum
I became a Platinum this year.

It's already June 1, and I have yet to receive
a single upgrade after 27 flights
this year.
Most of the flights were from east coast to west coast, with
connections in DFW and ORD. On every one of those 27 flights,
all first class seats were occupied. All of my trips were
booked 45 days or more in advance, not sure if this made
any difference.

I must hand it to AA's customer service dept. When I spoke
with them about this, they actually apologized and credited
me 5,000 miles as a goodwill gesture. I totally didn't expect
them to do that.

Being a newbie Platinum, I don't really know how this game
works. Any suggestions appreciated!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greenbears

this year.
Most of the flights were from east coast to west coast, with
connections in DFW and ORD. On every one of those 27 flights,
all first class seats were occupied. All of my trips were
booked 45 days or more in advance, not sure if this made
any difference.

I must hand it to AA's customer service dept. When I spoke
with them about this, they actually apologized and credited
me 5,000 miles as a goodwill gesture. I totally didn't expect
them to do that.

Being a newbie Platinum, I don't really know how this game
works. Any suggestions appreciated!
Wow. Are you flying at the same time each week? Because unless you were flying every Thursday afternoon evening and Sunday evening/Monday morning - I'm amazed.

I do have to ask the question though - are you (a) requesting your upgrades online as soon as you book your tickets AND (b) requesting to be added to the airport list when you check in?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:16 am

Programs: EXP- finally
ord to pek

thursday 187 all but two seats sold on the whole plane. to quote the plt desk intnl agent "this is a very popular flight". Hard to believe due to it's unreliability, short history, and late arrival. But my other choice thru PVG gets in even later.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by greenbears

this year.
I feel your pain... I'm personally around at ~40 upgrade eligible flights for this year and just sat up front for the first time ever last week, and even that was only due to a fluke. This is with being a connecting passenger and buying all tickets 30+ days out. Unfortunately this is what you have to deal with if you travel on peak time Monday/Thursday flights. I figure I would still rather deal with having to fly coach and be home on Sunday nights, and earlier on Thursday evenings, so I'm just used to not expecting it. Anyways, once I become EXP I can be one of those guys taking the upgrades from the PLTs every week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.