Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by brp
As always, BRP, has the best advice.

Last edited by magic111; Nov 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by wildaboutmovies
And, why do you ask GOLD? PLATINUM?
You can only be one, and as you know, the higher you are up the chain of elites, the easier it is to have an upgrade go through.
Im Platinum.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
When you say "coupon upgrade", could you clarify for us what you mean? Are you speaking of using an SWU/eVIP, or are you speaking of an MFU (Miles For Upgrades, which includes a co-pay)?

In any case, this will likely soon be merged with the thread linked to above.

Originally Posted by mktozd
Perhaps I am hoping fo the impossible. Am thinking of booking paid coach on AA 72/73 to HNL in February. What are the chances for a coupon upgrade ORD-HNL (flight 72/73)? As a Gold? Platinum? Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
From what the FA's on the HNL flights tell me, and this goes for all origins, the overwhelming majority of passengers on these flights are award bookings. In one ORD-HNL flight that I took earlier this year, I was told by the FA that I was only 1 of 2 $$ paid passengers in F.

So the reason why F can fill up on these flights (thus limiting inventory) is because of this. From ORD I've used eVIPs as an EXP, because I just didn't want to risk it. Of course, whenever I use eVIPs domestic, I always seem to use them when I didn't really need to haha.. On one hand, I do feel like because there's a lot of award bookings, this is *not* an elite heavy flight. But because you would have to pay for the stickers anyway as a gold, you might want to sacrifice the 15K miles if inventory is available and save the $5 bucks. That way you won't have to worry about it plus you'll save $5! hehe

Last edited by demkr; Nov 10, 2010 at 6:12 pm Reason: terminology change to avoid confusion
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by demkr
From what the FA's on the HNL flights tell me, and this goes for all origins, the overwhelming majority of passengers on these flights are non-revs. In one ORD-HNL flight that I took earlier this year, I was told by the FA that I was only 1 of 2 rev passengers in F.

So the reason why F can fill up on these flights (thus limiting inventory) is because of this. From ORD I've used eVIPs as an EXP, because I just didn't want to risk it. Of course, whenever I use eVIPs domestic, I always seem to use them when I didn't really need to haha.. On one hand, I do feel like because there's a lot of non-rev, this is *not* an elite heavy flight. But because you would have to pay for the stickers anyway as a gold, you might want to sacrifice the 15K miles if inventory is available and save the $5 bucks. That way you won't have to worry about it plus you'll save $5! hehe
Hmmmm... AFAIK non-revs are not accommodated in F until ALL upgrade requests (of any type by any tier) are processed. Could be wrong...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I didn't mean non-rev in the sense that they are FAs or employees. Non-rev in the same as $$$ i.e. award fares. I'll change the terminology. Sorry for the confusion
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
More importantly, where can I find these upgrade coupons? Are they in the Sunday paper?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:14 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Patented Up-Check® program has calculated your odds of a sticker upgrade at 0.021%
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
also keep in mind that 2 of the 30 seats (2HJ) are reserved for pilot rest. This flight is over 8 hours and requires a third pilot, and forget about row 17 as well, that's actually used for crew rest on this flight.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by bniu
also keep in mind that 2 of the 30 seats (2HJ) are reserved for pilot rest.
Well, technically correctly. However, I happened to sit on 2H and my wife sitting on 2G once.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Fairmont PC Plat
So far, EXP isn't working out too well for me (1/3). Missed AA177 JFK-SFO today (was #2 on the upgrade list), after booking 4 weeks in advance. Also missed SFO-JFK a few weeks ago. I had to proactively ask the FA regarding the free EXP snack in Y, but at least Gogo In-flight Wi-Fi was free
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by doodley
So far, EXP isn't working out too well for me (1/3). Missed AA177 JFK-SFO today (was #2 on the upgrade list), after booking 4 weeks in advance. Also missed SFO-JFK a few weeks ago. I had to proactively ask the FA regarding the free EXP snack in Y, but at least Gogo In-flight Wi-Fi was free
Out of the handful of upgrades this year that I missed so far SFO was usually involved with a short lead time, just a few days in my case though and not 4 weeks.

Sidebar question: Why was GoGo Wi-Fi free for you? AA isn't listed as participating in the free Google GoGo give-away going on now.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zphelj
Sidebar question: Why was GoGo Wi-Fi free for you? AA isn't listed as participating in the free Google GoGo give-away going on now.
Go-Go HP Promotion
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
AA 1432
DFW-ERW
15 Nov 2010 (Monday)
Reservations made in September

I cleared with DW about 2 hours before departure. AAngel told me that there were still 2EXPs on the waitlist 2 hours before departure.

Needless to say my kids, who are PLT, did not clear and sat in steerage.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gamecock
I cleared with DW about 2 hours before departure.
DW? Damn Wife?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.