Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by zybysky
I actually was going to ask how EXP's tend to fare on this route. Seeing I'll be a newly minted EXP next month, I'll take this post into consideration on future travel plans.
of 21 flights on this route in the past year where I didn't use eVIPs or paid J, I was in Y twice; both booked 2+ weeks out, but both during big "events" in NYC (one during a media buy week, the other during fashion week).
Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
A slight twist to the usual question: according to AA.com View Available Seats map, Monday's flt 239 LGA-DFW shows 4 unassigned seats in Y (all exit row middles) and 9/16 empties in F, same as before the 100 hr mark. A couple of back-of-Y seats disappeared in the last week. In a well-sold case like this, is there a typical time closer to departure when they start upgrading?

Note I don't ask what are my chances, etc.--I just want to improve my Y seat once upgrades do start clearing. It just seems odd that the publicly available seats are in the exit row.

Ideal scenario would be an op-up out of a full Y cabin, but not being young, cute, or on my honeymoon I'm not holding my breath
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
In a well-sold case like this, is there a typical time closer to departure when they start upgrading?

Note I don't ask what are my chances, etc.--I just want to improve my Y seat

Ideal scenario would be an op-up out of a full Y cabin, but not being young, cute, or on my honeymoon I'm not holding my breath
That is a toughie. On routes like this you could be in a situation where they hold back inventory to the absolute last moment and you get a bunch of battlefield upgrades. If that were the case, then playing the seat switch game is problematic. I think the best that you can do is just monitor the seat map religiously. Also, if you have Expert Flyer, it will show X inventory at approximately 24 hours out and you can evaluate that way as well.

As to the "ideal scenario", your statement is why I love this board like I do! To paraphrase, its the "AA Board" 'nough said.^
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
At 70 hours out a SINGLE coach pax has been UG. They are squeezing this baby.

Shall I post hourly updates, o breathless readers? (KIDDING!)
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:21 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I'm sure there are others with more data, but as a PLT, I've cleared 4/6 LGA-DFW/rtn segments this year, with 3 on the day of (weekdays and Sun flts), and 1 three days out (Sat flt). All of this is anecodotal, of course - I'd just keep a good eye on the seatmap.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Wink Upgrade for GOLD member

I am fly from BWI to DFW, DFW to NRT; NRT to DFW, DFW to BWI. I am traveling on a Y fare. Oct 24 depart and return Oct 31. Does anyone know my chances of upgrading to Business?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jww947
I am fly from BWI to DFW, DFW to NRT; NRT to DFW, DFW to BWI. I am traveling on a Y fare. Oct 24 depart and return Oct 31. Does anyone know my chances of upgrading to Business?
Since you're gold, you might be able to upgrade the domestic segments. Is it full Y fare or a discount economy?

On DFW-NRT-DFW, your chances are almost zero unless you luck out and get an op-up or are offered a chance to buy an upgrade at the kiosk. I wouldn't count on that happening.

Or you could upgrade with an eVIP or miles plus copay, depending on the fare class and availability.

And you really should read up on upgrades here. It's from the sticky FAQ at the top of the page, where it says "please check here first."

Last edited by videomaker; Oct 3, 2009 at 4:10 am Reason: Clarifying
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
At 70 hours out a SINGLE coach pax has been UG. They are squeezing this baby.

Shall I post hourly updates, o breathless readers? (KIDDING!)
Originally Posted by dstan
I'm sure there are others with more data, but as a PLT, I've cleared 4/6 LGA-DFW/rtn segments this year, with 3 on the day of (weekdays and Sun flts), and 1 three days out (Sat flt). All of this is anecodotal, of course - I'd just keep a good eye on the seatmap.
Hey dstan, does your flight for day of clear at T-5 or T-24 for LGA-DFW? Because from my experience in 08 and 09, out of 4 LGA-DFW flights, friday AA 739-745, 3 cleared at T-5 and only 1 cleared at T-24. But Fornbufox, I personally won't worried about it too much, if you checked EF, the seat map, and existing tendencies, you could usually make an reasonable educated guess at your chances, unless you fly at peak hours.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:06 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by jww947
I am in a similar boat:I put in my miles + co-pay request for DFW-NRT (61) for Oct. 24 just after Labour Day for a ticket booked in August and I am still on the waitlist.

Cheers,
DocD
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I have a EWR-MIA 2pm departure and currently have seat 9E. Does it make sense to upgrade on this flight? I have done this flight many times but never bothered to request an upgrade as I always get row 9. Is the FC service on this flight worth the 3 stickers (hate when I feel like I am wasting stickers espcially since the 3rd sticker is due to 93 miles).

Also, how do I cancel an upgrade request?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:02 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Hey dstan, does your flight for day of clear at T-5 or T-24 for LGA-DFW?
All I have are the confirmation emails (and not on this computer, so I can't check right now), which arrive considerably after the upgrade has cleared online, IME, but they definitely cleared 'day of' and not at T-24.

Originally Posted by jamflyer
I have a EWR-MIA 2pm departure and currently have seat 9E. Does it make sense to upgrade on this flight? I have done this flight many times but never bothered to request an upgrade as I always get row 9. Is the FC service on this flight worth the 3 stickers (hate when I feel like I am wasting stickers espcially since the 3rd sticker is due to 93 miles).

Also, how do I cancel an upgrade request?
We go for sticker upgrades everytime we fly NYC-MIA, but everyone's threshold for how they burn stickers is different. You'll need to call AA to cancel an upgrade request.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Best upgrade chances SFO-JFK-SFO?

I'm an EXP and will need to fly SFO-JFK-SFO in about a month. I'll need be in NYC overnight on Thursday and may want to spend a bit of extra time in town. I realize that there are no guarantees, but can anyone who flies this route a lot give me any idea of when I'm most and least likely to score upgrades between SFO and JFK? I could fly out on any time on Tuesday or early Wednesday and return any time on Friday or early Saturday.

I vaguely recall at least on thread addressing this kind of question, but now can't find it.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm an EXP and will need to fly SFO-JFK-SFO in about a month. I'll need be in NYC overnight on Thursday and may want to spend a bit of extra time in town. I realize that there are no guarantees, but can anyone who flies this route a lot give me any idea of when I'm most and least likely to score upgrades between SFO and JFK? I could fly out on any time on Tuesday or early Wednesday and return any time on Friday or early Saturday.

I vaguely recall at least on thread addressing this kind of question, but now can't find it.

Thanks for any advice.
1. Go to Expert Flyer (5 day free trial) and check availability for Tues/Wed of next week. I see no availability for Tueday or Wedneday AM. The other flights have seats available. I would expect this to be a normal pattern. The good news is that it is now less than 96 hours and you there are clearly seats in A class. Obviously, I wouldn't count on this for Thanksgiving week, especially Wednesday afternoon.

2. The return is a bit harder, since Friday/Sat are further out. Less business travel on weekends, so I would guess Saturday would be easier, except maybe around the holidays and perhaps school breaks, as people tend to take weekend to weekend vacations.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Good advice. Thanks very much!

FWIW, I'll be flying one week prior to Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:28 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by mvoight
The good news is that it is now less than 96 hours and you there are clearly seats in A class.
Just curious... Why would A class matter since "A" books into first on this route? I'm assuming that the OP is trying to do just a plain sticker upgrade into business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.