Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maītre-plongeur des Muccis
I've had small pilfering twice - and I am pretty sure it was by TSA employees. On one occasion, I was watching the TSA checker go through my dive bag at MIA (form a distance.) When I reached SVD, a dive multi-tool was missing. (If it had been by lauggage handlers, a lot more would have gone missing, or the entire bag would have been stolen.)

I also use the TSA-approved locks, in a version that turns an inddicator from green to red if the lock is unlocked. I have had a red indication a couple of times where no required "bag opened" notice was left by the TSA - once when I had an item pilfered.

It's too bad we don't have laws in the US that double the punishment when crimes are committed under the color of authority. Though they may be in the minority, when politicians sell out armed forces members by accepting defense contractor bribes, cops become renta-killa for the mob or TSA checkers become thieves, they should spend double time in the slam, IMO.

Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Absolutely true!

Originally Posted by JDiver
I've had small pilfering twice - and I am pretty sure it was by TSA employees. On one occasion, I was watching the TSA checker go through my dive bag at MIA (form a distance.) When I reached SVD, a dive multi-tool was missing. (If it had been by lauggage handlers, a lot more would have gone missing, or the entire bag would have been stolen.)

I also use the TSA-approved locks, in a version that turns an inddicator from green to red if the lock is unlocked. I have had a red indication a couple of times where no required "bag opened" notice was left by the TSA - once when I had an item pilfered.

It's too bad we don't have laws in the US that double the punishment when crimes are committed under the color of authority. Though they may be in the minority, when politicians sell out armed forces members by accepting defense contractor bribes, cops become renta-killa for the mob or TSA checkers become thieves, they should spend double time in the slam, IMO.
I've had underwear stolen from checked bags. Very weird! Also a silk blouse. Creeps me out that people touched my clothes. I'm leaning more and more to carry on only with everything in packing cubes and plastic Zip-Loc bags.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:28 pm

Yikes! That's not a good thing to hear! From the items stolen, I'd guess some kind of strange fetish with women's underthings and the like. The idea that this person has some kind of authority over others... not reassuring!

I use packing cubes and Zip-Loc bags myself - the cubes are easy to put into drawers and easier to drop into a carryon. Everything in its place.

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I've had underwear stolen from checked bags. Very weird! Also a silk blouse. Creeps me out that people touched my clothes. I'm leaning more and more to carry on only with everything in packing cubes and plastic Zip-Loc bags.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:29 pm

There are other airlines at DFW?

Then there's MIA, where a number of baggage handlers for various airlines have been busted - often.

Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK
Local DFW news had major story (expose') on AA ground crews stealing a couple of years ago; major egg on AA's face and IIRC, no other airlines had the problem at least at DFW. The news cast had hidden cameras in real time.

Assume AA has their act together and has better control over this now.

FWIW. YMMV.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: 1MM, AA Plat, IC Gold Ambassador, HHonors, etc.
Had my dive computer [looks like a fancy wristwatch] stolen from my dive bag at SJU. They had to go into my bag and open a pelican box to get it. Everything else in the pelican box was there when I arrived in EIS, but the computer was gone. Filed a claim at EIS and followed up when I got home with a reciept. Received a check from AA in a few weeks as a 100% reimbursment.

The only way to have known what was inside the pelican box was to have put it through x-ray. Save your luggage tags.

File a claim if a reimbursement is worthwhile.

[FWIW, AA didn't even question it, saying that it happened all the time at SJU]
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Need advice, stolen items from check luggage.

Howdy,

This is a "The cobblers kids have no shoes story".

I have always carried a secondary set of ID/Wallet. My spare wallet contained cash, credit cards, insurance card, state ID card, etc...

My primary wallet lived either in my pocket or my laptop bag.

The secondary wallet lived in my carry-on bag.

On a whim, (maybe once in every 100 flights) I'll check the carry-on bag. It's pretty rare. (Ya'll see where this is going now...).

So the other day I checked my carry-on bag.

I did transit through DFW, I was there for maybe 30 minutes between flights.

I got home, all good.

The next morning I get a call from a credit card company - I thought it was a solicitation, I came very close to just hanging up on them (I often do this).

The guy is babbling on about charges in Texas, yada yada yada...

This grabs my attention - I never charged anything in Texas - I run down to my bag and sure enough - the wallet is gone.

Suddenly - the 10 or so credit cards are all picking charges from the DFW area. (I spent a few hours on the phone, calling all of them and the credit bureaus, and the police).

The last call I made was to AA. They were polite.

I'm just wondering - does AA have any liability here at all? No, they did not lose my bag - but the contents of my bag were stolen (partial contents). (Yes, I had some cash in the wallet - a non-trival amount).

I am such an idiot.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Pakse
I'm just wondering - does AA have any liability here at all?
No. And even if they did, could you establish that an AA employee was the one who stole the wallet?

Mike
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; Starwood Gold
To establish negligence (I assume this is what you'd want to prove) you'd have to show that AA breached some duty of reasonable care, either by not having adequate procedures in place to secure your bag (including perhaps not having sufficient warnings about credit card theft), or possibly for negligently hiring a thief. No idea what the chances are of prevailing on something like that but you could ask a lawyer if you have significant damages that aren't covered by your credit cards.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:24 am

Probably the only recourse you have now is to dispute the charges with your credit card company. AA does have a policy for pilferred bags. The claim would have to be made at the airport within 24 hours. What transpires or how it's researched or what happens after that I have no idea. It sounds like you're over the 24 hour period now so I doubt there's anything AA could/would do.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
It could also have been TSA as they routinely open bags...and that is likely what AA would argue. Unfortunately, you're going to have to take this squarely on the chin.

And I have to ask...why 10 credit cards? I have two total (Amex and mastercard). Why the need for so many...and these are the auxiliary cards? For the future I'd strongly suggest that that is part of the problem you're going to be facing.

Best of luck with getting this all sorted out.

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As others have said, no liability at all on AA's part.

Could have been stolen by AA employee and could have been swiped by TSA employee.

AA's contract with you absolves it of liability for valuables (like cash) in checked baggage. Because you'll not be liable for the fraudulent charges on the credit cards (beyond the possible $50, which most cards will waive), no real damage there.

Never check anything the loss of which matters to you. I check replaceable clothing and almost nothing else. If it matters to you, keep it in your carryon.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
10 credit cards?

I will usually have some sort of backup separate from my wallet. However, it's usually in the form of one extra credit card, and a little bit of cash. And I'd obviously try to never check it in. If I did, it would *not* be in a wallet, but would be buried deep inside the luggage.

We all have brain farts some time, though. I was forced to check my carryon in Asia using a LCC out of SIN. I pulled out necessities, but forgot my small digital camera and car keys. Luckily nothing happened to them, but it still shouldn't happen.

I really have to question your 10 credit cards, though. At most I carry 4 of them, split up between my wallet and my carryon. And I don't call it a carryon for nothin!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

Yeah, I figured AA had little or no direct liability for the contents of my bag in a case of theft.

Why 10 credit cards? I just counted, there were only 7 which I now realize is 6 too many in terms of a back-up. In my 'real' wallet I only carry two cards; that 'back-up' wallet had gotten fairly fat.

The cards have come over the years - when I got a better offer - I'd get a new card. I simply never canceled any card that did not charge me any fees - so I ended up with the 7 I never used.

Not a smart move _ -- neither was checking the bag.

I did contact AA the morning after the flight; they acted concerned - and I was assured they would follow up with me I'll call them today and see what if anything they have to say.

So far all of the credit card companies have promised to remove all charges and hold me lible for nothing, which is nice. Even so, it was not worth the hassle - for my next trip, I'll shove 1 card deep into the bag - and when I do check it next time; I'll try to remember to remove it along with the cash.

Thanks for the responses; if there is any forward movement on any front I'll let ya'll know just for the record.

This does strike me surprising; the cards were used at a variety of gas stations, wal-mart, home depot, etc... Given the preponderence of video today in retail - I would imagine it would be a simple task to view the few faces on the multiple tapes for the time segments the cards were used - but so far no one seems to be attempting to follow any of this up?

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM
Use nylon cable ties on luggage

Sorry to hear about the disappearing wallet -- Yikes!

I always use a small colored plastic cable tie in place of a padlock on any checked luggage - upon pickup, I know immediately if the bag was opened and can check contents before leaving the airport. The ties are sold at any hardware store or Radio Shack for pennies and they can be cut open at your destination with a legal to carry nail clipper. Of course, the best solution is always never to check anything you can't replace, but know that's not always possible.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:20 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by twofly19
Sorry to hear about the disappearing wallet -- Yikes!

I always use a small colored plastic cable tie in place of a padlock on any checked luggage - upon pickup, I know immediately if the bag was opened and can check contents before leaving the airport. The ties are sold at any hardware store or Radio Shack for pennies and they can be cut open at your destination with a legal to carry nail clipper. Of course, the best solution is always never to check anything you can't replace, but know that's not always possible.
Still not gonna help. Let's say it was opened...and things are missing. Still could be airline or TSA...and both will suggest that. So, you'll know it's gone...and still have little recourse. Also, inasmuch as TSA is allowed to open your bag, finding it cut doesn't mean anything, really.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.