Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by witthuus

flew DSM-DFW on AA and DFW-LHR-HAM on BA yesterday and arrived in HAM today.

Bought a Bose QC15 headphone for around $ 320 incl. taxes @ Best Buy and put it into my checked bad. Was supposed to be a birthday present for my wife.

When I got home, I realized that the headphone was gone.

What would you do ? send a complaint to AA or TSA or to ?????

Appreciate any advise
Thanks
Volker
In April we flew back from Japan, with Customs in Seattle, and change of carrier to AA in DFW. We "lost" both a camcorder charger and a toy Japanese Bullet Train (shinkansen) model for our nephew. We know it was in the bag in SEA after customs. Filed with AA, and nothing was ever done. I don't blame the TSA or the carrier we flew mostly on, due to short connections. My personal belief is that it occurred in DFW on AA.
Old May 28, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I Flew GIG-MIA-LAS Last January, Got home and threw my Bag in my room slept and went to work the next morning. Got home and found my Camcorder and case were missing. Called AA and since I did not "Discover and report" in a reasonable time they only took a pilfering report on the phone and I never heard back. The phone agent did say the Rio De Janeiro Airport has had theft problems lately. Since then all valuables and electronics are in the carry-on.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:57 pm
Suspended

The TSA is horrible and has created a process where baggage theft seems to be the acceptable norm.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Plat, AA Plat, SWA, Avis Pref., Hertz GLD
So I just had several items stolen out of my checked bag flying from LGA-DFW! My sunglasses were actually removed from its case and all I found was an empty case in my suitcase. They also stole a new polo shirt, new shoes, and a bag full of pralines that were meant to be gifts. All in all, over $300 worth of brand new stuff. I'm bummed, to say the least.

I called AA and they told me "sorry, not our responsibility - try the airport". So what do I do now? I don't even know who to contact?
I filed a claim with my Amex, on which I purchased all these items on. But we'll see what happens.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by index411
So I just had several items stolen out of my checked bag flying from LGA-DFW! My sunglasses were actually removed from its case and all I found was an empty case in my suitcase. They also stole a new polo shirt, new shoes, and a bag full of pralines that were meant to be gifts. All in all, over $300 worth of brand new stuff. I'm bummed, to say the least.

I called AA and they told me "sorry, not our responsibility - try the airport". So what do I do now? I don't even know who to contact?
I filed a claim with my Amex, on which I purchased all these items on. But we'll see what happens.
Aa is responsible, go online and file a claim
Old May 14, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Aa is responsible, go online and file a claim
thanks. I couldn't find a specific form, so I contacted their main "contact us" form and selected "baggage". Hope that gets me somewhere.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by index411
thanks. I couldn't find a specific form, so I contacted their main "contact us" form and selected "baggage". Hope that gets me somewhere.
did the same thing a while back. good luck!
Old May 14, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by mr_rogers
did the same thing a while back. good luck!
Did they ever get back to you or offer any type of compensation?
Old May 14, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Wow, I can't believe people are still check bags (with valuables inside)... at least these people should use a non-TSA lock to secure the bag?? If TSA is going to open the bag, it will tell you when you hand if over (you must wait there until they give you the "not opening it, you're free to go to your gate") and give you the opportunity to again lock it before it's sent to the flight.

I don't see the surprise - if one checks one's bag, expect items to be stolen (or bags to be delayed/lost/ruined/soiled/broken). it might not be right, it might not be in the contract, but it should be expected, no matter what the airline tells one.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
I don't see the surprise - if one checks one's bag, expect items to be stolen (or bags to be delayed/lost/ruined/soiled/broken). it might not be right, it might not be in the contract, but it should be expected, no matter what the airline tells one.
It must be great going through life with such a positive attitude.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by chfenton
It must be great going through life with such a positive attitude.
Your assumed correlation of my attitude on life and air travel is greatly over-estimated

And truthfully, every time my flight is delayed/cancelled, I actually do say to myself "at least trip I don't have a wedding/concert/game/event/cruise timed immediately upon my originally scheduled arrival, as is often the case".
Old May 15, 2013, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Flying ORD-BRU on Apr 24, I stuck my windbreaker (decent quality, not fabulous) into my checked luggage so as not to have to carry it on the plane.

Gone upon arrival.

Idiots ignored the beer I was taking over to trade, worth much more than the jacket.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Flying ORD-BRU on Apr 24,
Off topic but didn't AA discontinue that route end 2011?
Old May 16, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: United silver, American Platinum, Marriott platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Wow, I can't believe people are still check bags (with valuables inside)... at least these people should use a non-TSA lock to secure the bag?? If TSA is going to open the bag, it will tell you when you hand if over (you must wait there until they give you the "not opening it, you're free to go to your gate") and give you the opportunity to again lock it before it's sent to the flight.

Here's a fun exercise for you. Live in a state that doesn't allow booze shipments. Go to Napa. Buy wine from the good, small local producers. Then try to get it home without checking a bag - carry on for example.

For added bonus points, buy a non-TSA lock and enjoy as it will be cut off because liquids will be enough to trigger suspicion.

For the record, I suffered no loss or breakage of the wine I brought home, although I was concerned about getting a bunch of clothes soaked in grape juice when I got back.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by SilentMonarch
Here's a fun exercise for you. Live in a state that doesn't allow booze shipments. Go to Napa. Buy wine from the good, small local producers. Then try to get it home without checking a bag - carry on for example.

For added bonus points, buy a non-TSA lock and enjoy as it will be cut off because liquids will be enough to trigger suspicion.

For the record, I suffered no loss or breakage of the wine I brought home, although I was concerned about getting a bunch of clothes soaked in grape juice when I got back.
I live in UT. When I bring wine home with me from the Bay Area, I have wine half-case boxes (tons of molded styrofoam inside) I use. No need to lock those, I tape them up. Haven't had one opened yet (but I don't do it all that much).

Driving an hour each way to Wyoming just to buy liquor is sucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.