Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:54 am
sgm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Not sure if this is of much interest but any advice would be appreciated…

AA Plt and flew SAN-LAX-DUB on December 18th – SAN-LAX operated by American Eagle and LAX-DUB by Aer Lingus. Had one checked bag – locked hard-shell. On opening my luggage in Ireland noticed missing items (CD player, [Irish] cell phone charger, xmas cards). Rapped presents (larger) OK. When I checked the combination lock it would not work! Not much loss but was upset at the whole thing and disappointed at the fact that this could happen. No insurance but I would like to put the incident on record. Any advice as to best avenue?

Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:08 pm

File a claim immediately with the airline! You only have a specific number of days after the incident to make a report. They will cover you for many items, however, most airlines do not cover electronic items, jewelry, cash, etc. But, a friend last year had a camera stolen from his checked bag and AA replaced it for him without much hassle. I suppose it was due to the fact it was not a very expensive camera.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 1:30 pm

Regarding checked bags, airlines have 0 liability for any camera equipment, electronic equipment including computers, jewelry. 0.

I had a friend recently lose $3000 worth of jewelry from a carry-on bag. She insists she is certain that the TSA did it. She filed some kind of claim form. This just happened last week. I doubt she'd get reimbursed, but perhaps they could at least mark the record to keep on eye on certain TSA stations or employees. This was a domestic flight.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 4:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sgm:
No insurance but I would like to put the incident on record. Any advice as to best avenue?
</font>
file a pilferage report with AA. unfortunately checked luggage at christmas is an open target, locks or no, on any airline... my mom's checked bag was ransacked last christmas at JFK, and my dad's entire checked bag was stolen this Spring during a plane change at MIA. mom didn't lose anything because the gifts she was carrying were bulky and not easy to sell. dad's "lost" bag was stuffed with easily-sold DVD's. ouch.

Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:25 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I returned from SIN on Xmas and found that my luggage had been pilfered when I got home. A very nice electric shaver was missing.......... GRRRRRRR

Filed the complaint with AA, so lets see how far this goes.

------------------
AA member since 1981.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 12:33 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I think we're going to start seeing a lot more of these threads...
Old Dec 28, 2002, 12:36 am

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
its a no win situation for the airlines, since TSA now requires the suitcases to be sent through unlocked. In SIN, they "JAL" made a big production of this at check in and made me take the locks off my suit case or they would not allow me to send it through......

------------------
AA member since 1981.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 2:32 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
God Bless America.

No more checked bags for me; USPS/UPS/FedEx are my new baggage handlers.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Dec 28, 2002, 9:50 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
We took my MIL to the airport yesterday for her flight home. She had one bag to check.

The local news was saying to arrive two hours before your flight. That seemed a bit long so we checked with a friend who runs an off-airport parking lot who said that 75 minutes should be more than enough.

There was no line at the AA ticket counter when we arrived but all agents were helping passengers. Wait time for the next agent was two or three minutes.

The EDS machines were setup behind the ticket counters (Which had been moved ten or fifteen feet out into the lobby to make room) but they weren't being used yet. (Last week there weren't any EDS machines at all) The TSA had metal tables with partitions for searching bags with the partitions arranged so that other passengers wouldn't see the contents of the bags being searched. There were also several of the swap-type explosive detecting machines. A bomb sniffing dog was moving around the airport sniffing a variety of things and places.

The AA agent was very plesant and quickly checked in my MIL and told her that her bag would be searched and that she wasn't required to wait but she was welcome to wait and watch if she so desired. A TSA agent got her bag and told her were she could stand if she wanted to watch the inspection. The TSA agent noticed that she had a tiny luggage padlock that she had just removed and offered to take the lock and lock the bag for her after the inspection was complete. The inspection was quick, maybe lasting three or four minutes.

We walked over to the security checkpoint which had only a couple of people in the queue and they were being processed quite rapidly. We still had almost an hour before the flight so we hung out outside of security for a while. The security line varied from no line at all to ten or fifteen people but always moved right along.

When my MIL finally went through security the line was as long as we'd seen it in our half-hour watching. Even so, her total time in the line and through security was no more than five or six minutes.

Her flight was full, about ten non-revs were bumped from the flight, but it pushed back three minutes early. Her checked luggage arrived at her destination still locked with all of it's contents intact.

FWIW, r/t fare was $135.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 10:17 am

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
LarryJ, nice story about the travels of your MIL, but not very informative travelwise since no airport or locations are mentioned. Your ID has no location, so that's not of any help.

On another note, I wonder if the unlocked bag rule will either put the shrinkwrappers in MIA out of business or if AA will ever get around to cleaning out the rest of the baggage handler crooks working there.

Old Dec 28, 2002, 10:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sgm:
On opening my luggage in Ireland noticed missing items (CD player, [Irish] cell phone charger, xmas cards). Rapped presents (larger) OK. When I checked the combination lock it would not work! </font>
I have traveled from GIG to JFK last Thursday and my cell phone charger disappeared from the unlocked external pocket of my checked bag! Just that. No violations on the locks, no marks on the bag, nothing. A 20 bucks charger is a really odd thing to be stolen and I was here thinking what could have happened. Can TSA simply confiscate things from people’s luggage, just like that? Hard to believe…
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:40 pm

Location: Vernon Hills, IL, USA (North of Chicago, NOT Wisconsin!!)
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Theft: items stolen from AA checked luggage (consolidated)

On December 20th, I was flying back from GOT (Sweden) and my flight to BRU got cancelled so I was rebooked GOT-HEL-LHR-ORD. I get to ORD, but my luggage doesn't (two 3-ball bowling bags.) The first bag arrives on the 26th after a lot of calls to the baggage desk and EXP desk. The second arrives on the 27th, but I look in the bag to find I am missing a bowling ball and other contents have been sifted through. In addition, the bag has been significantly damaged.

What should I do to make sure I get the most reimbursement from this? Has anyone else ever had anything stolen from their luggage?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Global Bowler
On December 20th, I was flying back from GOT (Sweden) and my flight to BRU got cancelled so I was rebooked GOT-HEL-LHR-ORD. I get to ORD, but my luggage doesn't (two 3-ball bowling bags.) The first bag arrives on the 26th after a lot of calls to the baggage desk and EXP desk. The second arrives on the 27th, but I look in the bag to find I am missing a bowling ball and other contents have been sifted through. In addition, the bag has been significantly damaged.

What should I do to make sure I get the most reimbursement from this? Has anyone else ever had anything stolen from their luggage?

Thanks!
I think to get the most back, up to the limit, you need to show a purchase receipt for each of the items lost or damaged.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:55 pm

Location: Vernon Hills, IL, USA (North of Chicago, NOT Wisconsin!!)
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Receipt

Luckily, I have a receipt for all the stuff. It was easy, since I got the stuff only a couple weeks ago.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I presume you immediately filed a report with AA as soon as the bags were delivered. That is the most critical part. You should then receive a claim form in the mail to complete and send in with receipts for the damaged and missing items. AA Baggage Service at ORD should give you directions so far as having the bowling bag repaired. If they determine it can't be repaired, they will settle the damaged bag part of the claim. In short, the damage claim and the missing items claim are handled separately. Maximum liability for both the damage and missing items is limited to $635 total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.