Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:56 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Why do people check bags with expensive electronics in the first place.... always carry on! Never will you find me checking my camera/computer equipment!
+1

I don't quite get the logic behind that either. I mean, I can understand if it is a bulky accessory for a piece of electronic equipment (por ejemplo - underwater camera housing), but that's about it.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by uxb
+1

I don't quite get the logic behind that either. I mean, I can understand if it is a bulky accessory for a piece of electronic equipment (por ejemplo - underwater camera housing), but that's about it.
I dive and I'm a photographer (above and below) - I take all of that with me on the plane, ha. Not really because I don't want it stolen (obvious...) but just to keep anything from getting broken. I can understand if you are a pro and taking ALL of your equipment with you to shoot somewhere, but I'd still take my camera body's, lenses, etc... with me on board.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Another way of doing this as an underwater photogger is to insure your stuff if you can't carry it all on, and put it in bags that are old and look like they must belong to a pauper or a refugee. (A la Paul Humann.)

I dive and I'm a photographer (above and below) - I take all of that with me on the plane, ha. Not really because I don't want it stolen (obvious...) but just to keep anything from getting broken. I can understand if you are a pro and taking ALL of your equipment with you to shoot somewhere, but I'd still take my camera body's, lenses, etc... with me on board.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by JDiver
...put it in bags that are old and look like they must belong to a pauper or a refugee.
Sounds like my normal luggage
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by uxb
... TSA did mess with my didgeridoo though.
That's what happens when you refuse the nude-o-scope screen.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Hhonors Gold
I had 2 full sleaves of Taylor Made Penta golf balls inside my golf bag case that I checked Tuesday. When I opened the case after getting to DFW the sleaves had been opened and there were 5 loose balls in the case instead of 6. Must be some golfers in the TSA.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 5:56 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I didn't suggest checking in the body or lens. I take that with me as well. I just suggested bulkier items. Underwater housing for my tiny Sony Cybershot was huge. Took the DSLR and Cybershot in my carry-on. Left the underwater housing in check. Worked out alright.

Originally Posted by SeAAttle
That's what happens when you refuse the nude-o-scope screen.
Hah! Well played, sir. I knew that joke would come up eventually. I've only been man-handled once for refusing the nude-o-scope. Of course, that one time was at SFO.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
headphone missing from checked bag

flew DSM-DFW on AA and DFW-LHR-HAM on BA yesterday and arrived in HAM today.

Bought a Bose QC15 headphone for around $ 320 incl. taxes @ Best Buy and put it into my checked bad. Was supposed to be a birthday present for my wife.

When I got home, I realized that the headphone was gone.

What would you do ? send a complaint to AA or TSA or to ?????

Appreciate any advise
Thanks
Volker
Old May 16, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by witthuus

flew DSM-DFW on AA and DFW-LHR-HAM on BA yesterday and arrived in HAM today.

Bought a Bose QC15 headphone for around $ 320 incl. taxes @ Best Buy and put it into my checked bad. Was supposed to be a birthday present for my wife.

When I got home, I realized that the headphone was gone.

What would you do ? send a complaint to AA or TSA or to ?????

Appreciate any advise
Thanks
Volker
File a claim with BA, the last carrier on the itinerary. Also, if you charged the airfare to a credit card, check with the card issuer: some credit cards provide baggage insurance on flights charged to the card.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
What would you do ?

Appreciate any advise
Thanks
Volker
Also, as an AA EXP and a UA 1K, I'd make a note to myself not to ever again put valuable electronics in my checked luggage.
Old May 20, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
:What would you do ?
Either have it shipped to the house or buy lost/damaged luggage insurance next time.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:51 am

Any recent experiences with AA's response to pilfered luggage and their process ?
Old May 28, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

File a claim with BA, the last carrier on the itinerary. Also, if you charged the airfare to a credit card, check with the card issuer: some credit cards provide baggage insurance on flights charged to the card.
Also check with CC used for actual item purchase as some provide 3-6 months loss/damage coverage.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by idainc
Any recent experiences with AA's response to pilfered luggage and their process ?
AA never responsed to my claim - however BA did and they are refunding the full amount I paid ^
Old May 28, 2011, 11:19 am

AA never responsed to my claim - however BA did and they are refunding the full amount I paid ^
Can you advise what was filed with them that they didnt respond to ? Thanks.

EXP and no response at all ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.