Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by EdV
Slight OT but where I can find / buy these type of locks?
These days pretty much any store in the US selling luggage items carries these locks, including stores like Target. At the airport, you can be sure that any Brookstone will have them.
Old May 3, 2006, 8:05 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Rampo
These days pretty much any store in the US selling luggage items carries these locks, including stores like Target. At the airport, you can be sure that any Brookstone will have them.
Thanks for the quick response guys, guess I should open my eyes a little more than just here at FT!
Old May 3, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
I bought my TSA locks at Target but they are not the ones with indicators. I may have to upgrade
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:27 am

Theft from AA checked luggage (consolidated)

Hi,
I flew JFK-SFO on AA last Saturday, and when I got to my hotel I found my beloved England football (soccer) shirt was no longer in my suitcase.
I don't suppose there's anything AA can do about it, so is there any point in reporting it?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by herbchris53
Hi,
I flew JFK-SFO on AA last Saturday, and when I got to my hotel I found my beloved England football (soccer) shirt was no longer in my suitcase.
I don't suppose there's anything AA can do about it, so is there any point in reporting it?
Report it, but probably nothing will happen. It is just as likely that a TSA employee took it as an AA employee. Wishful thinking aside, it might establish a pattern (presumably at JFK), should other reports be filed, and help prevent it in the future.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Report it, but probably nothing will happen. It is just as likely that a TSA employee took it as an AA employee. Wishful thinking aside, it might establish a pattern (presumably at JFK), should other reports be filed, and help prevent it in the future.
Thanks. My assumption is TSA as opposed to AA. I guess what I'm asking is if I report it to AA will they report to TSA?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Thanks. My assumption is TSA as opposed to AA. I guess what I'm asking is if I report it to AA will they report to TSA?
I give it a <1% chance. Sorry to hear about your jersey. You can blame the World Cup.... otherwise, the Yanks who took it wouldn't even have recognized what it was
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Reason #476 not to check bags . . .
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I give it a <1% chance. Sorry to hear about your jersey. You can blame the World Cup.... otherwise, the Yanks who took it wouldn't even have recognized what it was
Oh well, I'm just glad (and slightly confused) that was the only thing they took.

Edit: Gave up trying to report it. Baggage told me I need to go to SFO. I told them I am in NYC. They put me through to SFO "Lost and Found" where I got an answering machine.

On the plus side, it was my first time in First on AA and it was wonderful..

Last edited by herbchris53; Jun 22, 2006 at 10:49 am
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:00 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Hi,
I had a bagful of change taken from my bag on a LIH - STL flight.

I wrote to the TSA, Aloha Airlines and AA. Only got a response back from AA in the form of a check for the $$
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Reason #476 not to check bags . . .
Even the contents of your carry-ons are not safe.

Two former Transportation Security Administration airport screeners pleaded guilty Wednesday in U.S. District Court to pilfering passenger handbags at Sea-Tac Airport and stealing prescription narcotics.

John Woodbine, 40, and Sabina Ripka, 28, face up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine after admitting to on-the-job stealing, a misdemeanor offense.

An undercover agent with the Department of Homeland Security's Office of Inspector General ran a sting against Woodbine after officers spotted the two TSA screeners "taking pills from passengers," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Rich Cohen.

On Nov. 4, 2004, the undercover agent -- posing as a disabled passenger -- arrived at Woodbine's station for screening. He had in his carry-on baggage 30 OxyContin pills marked with a tiny red dot and dusted with anti-theft powder that glows under ultraviolet light.

Woodbine, while searching the bag, took several of the pills and placed them in his left front pants pocket, Cohen told U.S. Magistrate Judge Monica Benton. Cohen asserted that Woodbine stole pills on at least 20 occasions from other passengers.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
My girlfriend had a new pair of shoes stolen out of her bag once. She called AA and they offered her 100% of the value if she had a receipt or 50% if not. She sent in the receipt and got a check a few weeks later.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:35 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Local DFW news had major story (expose') on AA ground crews stealing a couple of years ago; major egg on AA's face and IIRC, no other airlines had the problem at least at DFW. The news cast had hidden cameras in real time.

Assume AA has their act together and has better control over this now.

FWIW. YMMV.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier
Oh well, I'm just glad (and slightly confused) that was the only thing they took.

Edit: Gave up trying to report it. Baggage told me I need to go to SFO. I told them I am in NYC. They put me through to SFO "Lost and Found" where I got an answering machine.

On the plus side, it was my first time in First on AA and it was wonderful..
Sorry to hear about your loss, but don't give up - keep on pressing AA and file a claim with the TSA. It'll help everyone.

Here is a link to the FAQ on the TSA site: http://tsa-7.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ts...php?p_faqid=87

You can even contact them by email if you get into voicemail hell.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:46 pm

Thanks for the advice...will fill out the forms with TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.