FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:06 am
Pakse

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Need advice, stolen items from check luggage.

Howdy,

This is a "The cobblers kids have no shoes story".

I have always carried a secondary set of ID/Wallet. My spare wallet contained cash, credit cards, insurance card, state ID card, etc...

My primary wallet lived either in my pocket or my laptop bag.

The secondary wallet lived in my carry-on bag.

On a whim, (maybe once in every 100 flights) I'll check the carry-on bag. It's pretty rare. (Ya'll see where this is going now...).

So the other day I checked my carry-on bag.

I did transit through DFW, I was there for maybe 30 minutes between flights.

I got home, all good.

The next morning I get a call from a credit card company - I thought it was a solicitation, I came very close to just hanging up on them (I often do this).

The guy is babbling on about charges in Texas, yada yada yada...

This grabs my attention - I never charged anything in Texas - I run down to my bag and sure enough - the wallet is gone.

Suddenly - the 10 or so credit cards are all picking charges from the DFW area. (I spent a few hours on the phone, calling all of them and the credit bureaus, and the police).

The last call I made was to AA. They were polite.

I'm just wondering - does AA have any liability here at all? No, they did not lose my bag - but the contents of my bag were stolen (partial contents). (Yes, I had some cash in the wallet - a non-trival amount).

I am such an idiot.

Keep the faith,

Pakse