Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
Booked and requested in March or April...
at 4 months you are sitting very good. Like to think it will start clearing before airport control.

3DG are still open, sweet seats for a pair.

Good luck, report back.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Is there scheduled 757 service between LAX and SFO now or was this just a one-off flight. I was under the impression this was all 737.
There are two daily 757s each way. I remember LAX-SFO being mostly 738s previously as well, but they're using the A321S and E175 on this route now also.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
DFW-PEK AA88/89 upgrades

There's not much information in this thread about international upgrades on 787, so I'll post my experience.

The flights to and from Beijing were booked (and the upgrades requested) in mid April. There were between zero and two seats assigned in J and the premium part of Y in April on both flights.

DFW-PEK was flown in late July on Thursday. The upgrade cleared a couple of hours before the departure, even though EF was showing J7/C7 for at least 30 hours before that. At the end the J cabin was full of non-revs.

PEK-DFW was flown in early August on Friday. The business class cabin was full, no upgrade, flew in coach.

Also, the flight to Beijing was delayed by 7.5 hours, the one from Beijing -- by 3 hours, sitting on tarmac in PEK.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by metallo
There are two daily 757s each way. I remember LAX-SFO being mostly 738s previously as well, but they're using the A321S and E175 on this route now also.
Dont forget the old days (before 2010 or so) when it was all MD80s.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by grrizzli
There's not much information in this thread about international upgrades on 787, so I'll post my experience.

The flights to and from Beijing were booked (and the upgrades requested) in mid April. There were between zero and two seats assigned in J and the premium part of Y in April on both flights.

PEK-DFW was flown in early August on Friday. The business class cabin was full, no upgrade, flew in coach.
Wow. EXP, booked and requested at 3.5 months out. Only two seats taken in MCE when you requested???

That seems very competitive....
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
If you're both on the same PNR my understanding is that your companion should not lose status once the flight goes to airport control. I could be incorrect on this though.

How far out did you book this flight? The J seat map looks about 60-70% full and Y+ only shows 4 opens. With this in mind time of request is likely going to play a pretty important role for you. If you requested decently far in advance, I would say there is definitely hope. If on the other hand you just booked last week, I would say it's going to be a bit more of a stretch. No matter what, just make sure you have the seats you want in Y in the event you're stuck back there.
Your companion absolutely will lose your status on the airport upgrade list. A good agent can fix this for domestic upgrades but it seems impossible to fix for an international upgrade. Hope to either clear in advance or for many open seats in J for the gate agents to clear.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by grrizzli

To add insult to injury, a SWU was deducted for the flight where I wasn't upgraded. The customer service couldn't figure out how it happened but promised to reinstate it.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: aa exp, ihg plat amb
I have a LAX-LHR flight with a mileage + copay on waitlist. I will reach EXP status a week before the flight. I believe I need to call to have my status changed on the request.

My question is, should I change the request to an SWU as far as having a better chance for an upgrade? In other words, does an EXP requesting a SWU a week before trump a now EXP with a mileage copay request 3 months earlier?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by aaliz
I have a LAX-LHR flight with a mileage + copay on waitlist. I will reach EXP status a week before the flight. I believe I need to call to have my status changed on the request.

My question is, should I change the request to an SWU as far as having a better chance for an upgrade? In other words, does an EXP requesting a SWU a week before trump a now EXP with a mileage copay request 3 months earlier?
I don't think instrument of upgrade matters on upgrade list. It's the time of request that counts.

However, I don't know if original request date will hold if your status changes later. I think it does... but perhaps someone else can confirm on it.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by aaliz

SWU and Miles will have same priority. I would ONLY change to an SWU if they can keep the same upgrade request date of 3 months earlier. MAKE SURE they confirm that before making any changes.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: aa exp, ihg plat amb
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
SWU and Miles will have same priority. I would ONLY change to an SWU if they can keep the same upgrade request date of 3 months earlier. MAKE SURE they confirm that before making any changes.
Will do. Thank you for the info
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I know kind of a niche case - but does anyone know if they up-gauge a plane from one without First to one with will they allow you to request an upgrade if you booked an economy award? I was due to fly on a CR7 booked with an Economy anytime award and now it is an E175 and it shows upgrade requested even though I usually cannot request an upgrade on an award. F obviously fully open FWIW
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Hope this is correct place for data point: SWU just cleared for GRU-MIA (77W) on 08/23. Request was made in early May. Do folks have a preference in the mini cabin (solo traveler) 4A v. 3D?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by afrugal1
Hope this is correct place for data point: SWU just cleared for GRU-MIA (77W) on 08/23. Request was made in early May. Do folks have a preference in the mini cabin (solo traveler) 4A v. 3D?
4A is right next to the lav and galley, and AA FAs tend to not exactly be the quietest out there. I would say 3D if you don't require a view. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the mini-cabin on the 77W just because of the proximity to the galley and lavs. I never used to have a problem back in the main J cabin.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by afrugal1
How is the J cabin looking?

I am waiting for SWU's to clear on both MIA-GRU and GRU-MIA for later date. Fairly certain I am on top of the list but don't know about the load factor in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.