Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
We cleared into C using SWUs at 4 days out our 6/18 ORD-LHR flight and the same for the return trip on 6/29. Cabin was less than half full per EXP line and flight availability on EF showed at least 7 seats available for sale in cabin when we cleared.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rikramer
That's helpful. NRT is out primary destination so we will explore those options exclusively.
Same boat as you, September trip, wanting to see both Hong Kong and Tokyo. Know that as a PLT flying DFW to HKG, my chances are slim unless mid week and even then not likely....

but not sure if the same applies to DFW NRT or the reverse? Thinking of doing BDL (one of my home airports) to DFW, DFW-HKG, HKG-NRT, NRT-DFW, DFW-BDL. Not so worried about the domestic legs as I've only missed two upgrades this year and they were both sold out F cabins anyway, but I'd like to improve my chances with a miles+$ upgrade on the international.

On another thread, the advice given to me was Wednesday as my departure date for HKG as best chance to clear, but is there a better day of the week to be flying back from NRT to improve my odds??
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:58 am

PHL-HNL coach to 1st Class Upgrade

Hello. I've booked AA PHL-HNL coach $637x2, 9/24-10/8 (1st part of RT segment is MCE, 1st part of depart and last of RT are unassigned). On the AA site it has some RT 1st Class' for $546/each, mostly red-eye that I am considering.
Can someone please let me know if:
1) Is it best to wait until I get to the airport b/c they may offer a discount?
2) Get it now and being that I'm unassigned mostly, will they still charge a change fee and about how much?
3) Does AA have a cash & miles plan (can't tell by this thread)?
This is for a surprise wedding anniv. I'm a Disabled Vet (SCI), my Much Better 1/2 is disabled and we're both tall. I would like to treat us to 1st and try to at least get Gold for us even if we have to try to find MCE's on the departing flight to help w/ cost. Currently $1261 (became $552x2 when MCE was added). With the upgrade it will be $2406 (so far).

Last edited by mommafrica; Jul 3, 2015 at 10:22 pm Reason: meant cash and miles
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I was flying US Express yesterday, and was number two on the list for zero seats (didn't clear since US can't seem to figure out how to fit more than 8 F seats on a 175 while AA was somehow able to manage 12) but was pretty surprised to find none other than the following individual ahead of me...

I had quite the chuckle...
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Hmmmm...either John Smith or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (the substantially shorter dweeb).
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
i cleared two swus at ticketing last week on aa50 and aa135 for travel in late sept. J to F. usually not a tough upg w 2.5 months. although only 2 seats left on aa50, on a monday.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Hi all,

Fairly common situation of an upgrade not yet clearing at J-1 on MIA-LGA (I am ExPlat) on a flight with 10 apparent open F seats and Expertflyer indicating an F availability of 7+, F low price offered on AA.com, but the new factor (to me, at least...) is that System-wide upgrades are also offered on AA.com (not that I would use one to upgrade from MCE on a 3 hour flight...). Is this a new low on ExPlat free upgrade privileges or is it common ?

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Jul 6, 2015 at 6:57 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Hi all,

Fairly common situation of an upgrade not yet clearing at J-1 on MIA-LGA (I am ExPlat) on a flight with 10 apparent open F seats and Expertflyer indicating an F availability of 7+, F low price offered on AA.com, but the new factor (to me, at least...) is that System-wide upgrades are also offered on AA.com (not that I would use one to upgrade from MCE on a 3 hour flight...). Is this a new low on ExPlat free upgrade privileges or is it common ?
Both common and common sense.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Hi all,

AA has been holding back massive amounts of F seats lately and sending upgrades to the gate. Some GAs have claimed this is an effort to sell TODs to non-elites rather than offering them as complimentary upgrades.

I've noticed that on AA, a lot of upgrades tend to be held back until just before the flight goes to airport control. On US, they seem to have no problem filling up the F cabin 48+ hours prior to the flight and leave none left for last minute purchases/TODs, whatever. Just an observation, but I've found that clearing upgrades on US is much easier than on AA, and as a GLD I've often been clearing almost 48 hours out.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:10 am

Does anyone know how busy the SAN-LHR flight is? Im booking a flight for a few months from now and wondering if I'll have a good chance at an upgrade. Currently GLD status on a PLT challenge
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mikespimpin
Does anyone know how busy the SAN-LHR flight is? Im booking a flight for a few months from now and wondering if I'll have a good chance at an upgrade. Currently GLD status on a PLT challenge
That flight is BA-operated -- how were you planning to upgrade?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:08 am

Yea nvm lol. I mis-read the schedule
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Does AA no longer allow you to "re-check in"? I was able to do that in the past when trying to check back from upgrade inventory, but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Seems like a "one and done" type of thing.

I have a sticker upgrade waitlisted for DFW-PHX tomorrow on AA metal. I've been seeing A inventory open up on EF, but I can't go back and try to snag it.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
I have a sticker upgrade waitlisted for DFW-PHX tomorrow on AA metal. I've been seeing A inventory open up on EF, but I can't go back and try to snag it.
I'm fairly certain sticker upgrades come out of X, not A. A is used for mileage upgrades and SWUs.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Hmm, EF isn't showing X as a code on AA flights, only US flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.