Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
Hmm, EF isn't showing X as a code on AA flights, only US flights.
That's correct. AA does not publish sticker/complimentary upgrade inventory on EF. It shows up on flights with the US prefix that are operated by AA, but it's always shown zeroed out. On US operated flights the X inventory for complimentary upgrades is usually reflected accurately.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Does AA no longer allow you to "re-check in"? I was able to do that in the past when trying to check back from upgrade inventory, but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Seems like a "one and done" type of thing.

I have a sticker upgrade waitlisted for DFW-PHX tomorrow on AA metal. I've been seeing A inventory open up on EF, but I can't go back and try to snag it.
Once you have checked in on aa.com you're checked in and can't change it online. I'm not sure what you want to do. What does "check back from upgrade inventory" mean?

If you're seeing A inventory and want to snag it with an SWU or miles+copay you're going to need to call anyway. On that call I'm sure the agent can do whatever is needed to process the upgrade. It may or may not involve un-checking you in.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by cmd320
Quote:

I have a sticker upgrade waitlisted for DFW-PHX tomorrow on AA metal. I've been seeing A inventory open up on EF, but I can't go back and try to snag it.

I'm fairly certain sticker upgrades come out of X, not A. A is used for mileage upgrades and SWUs.
I've never done this so maybe I should just sit on the sidelines here but can't you see AA UG inventory in EF by checking in the "Awards and Upgrades" section?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Does AA no longer allow you to "re-check in"? I was able to do that in the past when trying to check back from upgrade inventory, but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Seems like a "one and done" type of thing.

You cannot 'snag' A inventory with stickers. Only miles or SWU.

In fact, one might say that in the 100 hours prior to flight, as a matter of policy/management AA does not process 'sticker or free' upgrades (ie X) but tries to entice people to use miles or burn SWUs by leaving A upgrade space bookable.

In effect you can 'jump' the line from the waitlist for X ('sticker or free') over to a confirmed A upgrade if you are willing to burn miles or SWUs.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
[QUOTE=Stripe;25079202]
Once you have checked in on aa.com you're checked in and can't change it online. I'm not sure what you want to do. What does "check back from upgrade inventory" mean?
At least on US metal, you could go thru the check in process again. If F inventory opened for upgrade, you could grab it then rather than trying for the waitlist.

I also did it last year on AA metal when I was CP.

If you're seeing A inventory and want to snag it with an SWU or miles+copay you're going to need to call anyway. On that call I'm sure the agent can do whatever is needed to process the upgrade. It may or may not involve un-checking you in.
I don't care a whole lot about that upgrade so I'm not going to burn miles, especially when my first segment cleared on stickers.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I've never done this so maybe I should just sit on the sidelines here but can't you see AA UG inventory in EF by checking in the "Awards and Upgrades" section?
It doesn't show X inventory. Only A/C and award ticket inventories.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Upgrade Priority (Time of Request)

Hi All,

In a debate with a friend regarding upgrades. Does AA process the upgrade priority tiebreaker on the time of request or the time of ticketing? For example, if the reservation is made on Jun 1 (upgrade automatically requested from AA EXP)and then ticketed on Aug 1, which date is used?

-- mbwmbw
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Hi All,

In a debate with a friend regarding upgrades. Does AA process the upgrade priority tiebreaker on the time of request or the time of ticketing? For example, if the reservation is made on Jun 1 (upgrade automatically requested from AA EXP)and then ticketed on Aug 1, which date is used?

-- mbwmbw
Time of request.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Hi All,

-- mbwmbw
Not to nitpick on a hypothetical example, but how does one make a reservation on and not ticket until two months later? Was that just a quirky choice of dates or did you mean something that we missed?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Not to nitpick on a hypothetical example, but how does one make a reservation on and not ticket until two months later? Was that just a quirky choice of dates or did you mean something that we missed?
Government fares apparently can be made months in advance before ticketing. Not exactly sure how but that's what I was told.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Government fares apparently can be made months in advance before ticketing. Not exactly sure how but that's what I was told.
Gotcha. I learn something new everyday.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Yup. In fact when I've been booked via a government agency I have to call them roughly a week before departure to accelerate the ticketing. This is to beat the T-100 EXP upgrade window. If they try ticket after I'm upgraded everything becomes a mess.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When (if ever) will I see business or first saver, or business upgrade availability open up on SCL-MIA in late November? Both cabins are WIDE open. I have EF alerts for all of the above set up, and have for months.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:37 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Anybody care to wager a guess at a couple of AA PLTs clearing into F via complimentary US upgrades on ORD-PHX-OGG the day after Thanksgiving?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
When (if ever) will I see business or first saver, or business upgrade availability open up on SCL-MIA in late November? Both cabins are WIDE open. I have EF alerts for all of the above set up, and have for months.
In same situation as yourself for couple of GRU flights. I think it's way too early for them to start clearing SWU's.

It doesnt help much but on a positive note, we are probably on top of the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.