Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cosmith
Btw... Have any of you heard about AA running A321S LAX-HNL?
Actually A321H, and there's a separate thread on that.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...awaii-lax.html
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Probably pretty decent. Holiday travel tends to be much lower on elites than normal travel. Then again, these are very elite-heavy routes normally. I would guess 50%.
Really? 50%?

He is GOLD. using stickers

Every EP, Plt (using any instrument) and Gold using miles or swus will be in front of him

At they end of the day we are all just guessing of course...

Thinking 'nobody wants to fly xmas eve' is true for many, but there will be plenty of folks that fill these plans- gotta work up to the holiday; last minute; dont celebrate xmas; weather delay on prior flighr, missed connections, etc etc

It will be what it will be, just hate giving false hope.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:57 am

When I was Gold the times when I actually got upgraded were holidays.

F class demand is extremely soft around the holidays. J is quite soft too. Y is very strong. Most likely Y will fill up (overbook) with kettles, the few paid J fares will get bumped to F, and the rest will be filled with stickers and op-ups.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Thinking 'nobody wants to fly xmas eve' is true for many, but there will be plenty of folks that fill these plans- gotta work up to the holiday; last minute; dont celebrate xmas; weather delay on prior flighr, missed connections, etc etc
Plus all of the OTHER people thinking "nobody wants to fly xmas eve". Last couple times I traveled on actual holidays, it was quite crazy.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

It will be what it will be, just hate giving false hope.
I think it's more like nobody wants to fly for work on Christmas eve (or any holiday). I have flown during the holidays before, airports crowded and planes near 100% full each time. Y is mostly filled with leisure travelers going on vacation; not so much business travel. J/F tend to be mostly op-ups (result of overbooked Y cabins) or upgrades, whether it be mileage+copay, stickers, SWUs.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Christmas is Friday, a lot of people will be taking off for a long weekend on Thursday.

Hawaii is always leisure heavy, not sure the holidays affect that. Lots of people on cheaper leisure F tickets. It's a rough sticker upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Premium flyer % flying on weekends

Just a thought whilst I was recently analyzing my own probabilities of EXP upgrades on a weekend SFO-DFW and return ORD-SFO.

AA382 ORD-SFO on 1st Aug is almost completely devoid of any premium flyers, whereas SFO-DFW on 26th July has almost non MCE seats available.

So just wondered if there are any more analysis of % of travellers on weekends being PLT/EXP.

/BM
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not surprising - less business travel on the weekends, and given that business flyers likely over-index on having status, weekends thus should be easier
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:44 pm

I've found that Sundays (especially evenings) can have a lot of elite flyers, while Saturdays have almost none.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA
I've found that Sundays (especially evenings) can have a lot of elite flyers, while Saturdays have almost none.
Agree.

Folks (consultants, business) will tend to 'position' on a late Sunday flight to hit Monday on the ground.

You only fly Saturday when Friday gets MX/WX.

You will see odd stuff for international flights- into LHR both Sat and Sun can be busy, Friday headed over seems less so.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
On flights which are less than 500 miles in length, are upgrades processed by the standard gates or are they all done day of the flight?

I've got a flight that is 3 days off (less than 72 hours now), and Expert Flyer is showing A6, but I've not yet upgraded. I did the request when first booked (two months ago)...
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
On flights which are less than 500 miles in length, are upgrades processed by the standard gates or are they all done day of the flight?

I've got a flight that is 3 days off (less than 72 hours now), and Expert Flyer is showing A6, but I've not yet upgraded. I did the request when first booked (two months ago)...
Length of flight makes no difference. These days upgrades are done at the window only if the F cabin is almost entirely empty. In your case, 6 seats open with 3 days to go likely means no one gets upgraded until the night before departure.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Anyone have any SWU experiences on the Dreamliner's international routes? There was a lot of concern that upgrades would be hard to come by and I am curious as to how that is panning out.

I am sure that waitlist is standard and that confirming immediately is nonexistent.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer

You are waiting for X upgrade right? (sticker or free exp)

They will let people burn miles or SWUs, but will wait until 25 hrs (likely) to make any adjustments.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:27 pm

Friday 8am msy-dfw didnt clear, was left at 5 or 6 on upgrade list. Checked in for 1230pm flight dfw-msy tomorrow and cleared by 1pm. Friday was the first time I have not cleared the msy-dfw or dfw-msy route ( 4 of 5 so far as gold this year).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.