Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, Virgin America Elevate Gold, American Airlines AAdvantage
I have a paid Y ticket from SYD to LAX this April on a Sunday. What are the odds of me getting upgraded using SWU as an EXP? Considering that there are obviously no data points yet but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by quikkings711
I have a paid Y ticket from SYD to LAX this April on a Sunday. What are the odds of me getting upgraded using SWU as an EXP? Considering that there are obviously no data points yet but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Low would be my guess. Though maybe possible, it's difficult to say at this point.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
If your original seat in Y now shows vacant and you cannot access the seat map to select a J seat on AA.com call AA immediately! You need to sort this out and make sure that you've been upgraded and placed into a J seat. You definitely want to ensure you have a seat assignment.
AA app allowed me select a seat in J - I guess the upgrade cleared. I have even selected the meal...

However my reservation is not accessible from aa.com... Strange...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bilica
AA app allowed me select a seat in J - I guess the upgrade cleared. I have even selected the meal...

Did you select your meal on the AApp? I didn't even know that was possible!

It sounds like you should be in good shape, I would still call when you have a minute and let them know you can't see it on AA.com just to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:07 pm

Did you select your meal on the AApp? I didn't even know that was possible!

It sounds like you should be in good shape, I would still call when you have a minute and let them know you can't see it on AA.com just to be on the safe side.
Sorry - selected the meal on aa.com (although the actual flights are not showing).

Seat assignment worked only on the app...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bilica

Have you gotten the re-ticketing email yet?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by quikkings711
Well, Id say you are #1 on the list- (you DID request the SWU already, right???) Take a screen save of the seat map today- how many MCE selected on your flight? If you are 1 and 2, then Id say you are the first and second EXPs on the SWU/Mile waitlist.

If AA will clear any, you should get one.

Will AA sell all those J? The certainly have not release a single J award yet....
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Low would be my guess. Though maybe possible, it's difficult to say at this point.
Along these lines, on which day would it be hardest to clear SYD-LAX (i.e., when is there the most paid J demand on average for SYD-LAX)? Looking at buying a one-way SYD-SFO for next March, and debating between nonstop SYD-SFO on QF in Y (booked as AA codeshare) vs. SYD-LAX-SFO on all-AA metal, in Y but with the hope of an SWU.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Along these lines, on which day would it be hardest to clear SYD-LAX (i.e., when is there the most paid J demand on average for SYD-LAX)? Looking at buying a one-way SYD-SFO for next March, and debating between nonstop SYD-SFO on QF in Y (booked as AA codeshare) vs. SYD-LAX-SFO on all-AA metal, in Y but with the hope of an SWU.
1. You do realize this is new route- so there is ZERO history for any opinions. (mine included) We can use AA behaviour on other routes as a hint, but maybe they will be more Qantas like? QF sells a lot of biz seats. Will AA? Is there a pent up need for American hospitality headed to Oz??

2. Why One Way? Have you penciled all that out? A SYD-SFO-SYD round trip might me cheaper. (Or SYD-SFO and HNL-SYD retrurn?) Dunno, just speculating. Just a cheap return to allow the outbound to be a cheaper RT fare. You wouldnt fly it. (Also look at LAX with a cheap separate ticket LAX-SFO)

3. Look at the seat map? How many seats are taken in Y? How many in MCE? If you are the first, and your are an EXP, I personally believe the chances are decent.

4. On the LAX-USA you arrive same day. I think Friday, Sat, Sun and Monday are business heavy days. Just my guess. (the QF sub forum might have some input on this) Folks returning from a trip to SYD. Folks coming to USA for a business trip. But look at the Y and MCE load too. Thats your 'competition'.

GL
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
This coming Tuesday, I'm flying DCA-1202-MIA-257-MEX. I'm EXPlat, and I was ticketed/requested on May 31.

Today, DCA-MIA cleared at the T-100 window, but MIA-MEX did not.

I offer this as a data point, but do you think MIA-MEX will clear? If so, when? T-24? T-4? T-1? At the gate?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
This coming Tuesday, I'm flying DCA-1202-MIA-257-MEX. I'm EXPlat, and I was ticketed/requested on May 31.

Today, DCA-MIA cleared at the T-100 window, but MIA-MEX did not.

I offer this as a data point, but do you think MIA-MEX will clear? If so, when? T-24? T-4? T-1? At the gate?
EF is showing J4 with a few opens in MCE. Being that you requested months ago, I would say you should have a pretty decent shot as an EXP. Expect it to clear as late as T-4, if it's not cleared by then, expect to clear from the list at the gate or not at all.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
1. You do realize this is new route- so there is ZERO history for any opinions. (mine included) We can use AA behaviour on other routes as a hint, but maybe they will be more Qantas like? QF sells a lot of biz seats. Will AA? Is there a pent up need for American hospitality headed to Oz??

2. Why One Way? Have you penciled all that out? A SYD-SFO-SYD round trip might me cheaper. (Or SYD-SFO and HNL-SYD retrurn?) Dunno, just speculating. Just a cheap return to allow the outbound to be a cheaper RT fare. You wouldnt fly it. (Also look at LAX with a cheap separate ticket LAX-SFO)

3. Look at the seat map? How many seats are taken in Y? How many in MCE? If you are the first, and your are an EXP, I personally believe the chances are decent.

4. On the LAX-USA you arrive same day. I think Friday, Sat, Sun and Monday are business heavy days. Just my guess. (the QF sub forum might have some input on this) Folks returning from a trip to SYD. Folks coming to USA for a business trip. But look at the Y and MCE load too. Thats your 'competition'.

GL
1. Yes, I do, and I also realize that QF/AA might have different demands/corporate contracts/etc that could affect this; but at least having an idea of QF (/DL/UA) demand patterns could help.

2. SYD-SFO one way isn't too bad, $800 or so; no savings to be had from booking RT (granted RT is ~$1k, so cheaper on a per-segment basis, but seems to be nothing like US-Asia/Europe RT vs OW pricing tends to be). I grabbed two J saver seats on QF right when they were released for the outbound, hence needing a one-way of some sort to get home. If I want to use miles on the way home to sit up front, my only options are via ICN/PVG (no thanks)/TYO.

3. Seat map isn't too bad. 4 seats taken in J, 3 in MCE (but why are 20ABC/21DEGH/29DEGH/30AC/30JL blocked?)

4. Makes sense! I guess it's partially a guessing game about how many AA customers will be on Aussie business patterns...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber

4. Makes sense! I guess it's partially a guessing game about how many AA customers will be on Aussie business patterns...
I was curious, so started a thread over in the QF forum asking about QF loads as a data point....

Since this is a QF/AA joint venture, they arent really competing- the idea that "AA customers" are different that "QF customers" might not be so true. I view this as an analogue of the US-LHR on AA versus BA. You get miles on both, codeshares, connections, etc, etc. Not as loyalty driven. food, seats and service perhaps?

I was wondering if that was the reason for a one way.... supected that. I prolly have a pair of USA-SYD F seats I wont use in mid march. Wrong direction for you. Is there a one way that you can get the value back as a credit, perhaps with a hefty fee? Book that, waitlist the SWU, watch for a saver in J. Is a $200 penalty worth it? 500?

Do keep you eyes pealed for AA74, Id like to think they will open J in the next few ______s (days, weeks...months...years?!?!?)

GL
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I have a real head scratcher.
Booked tomorrow on AA #5922 SFO-LAX as an EXP and still haven't cleared.
The weird thing is the flight is showing F7 A7 P7 and show only 2 people in first along with MCE pretty open. I called the EXP desk and they confirmed my upgrade is still showing requested. If they think they will sell 10 seats in first good luck. Any insight?
UPDATE: 8 of us cleared at T-4. Funny thing is my LAX-JFK cleared at T-100 today. Hmmm.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by grrizzli
To add insult to injury, a SWU was deducted for the flight where I wasn't upgraded. The customer service couldn't figure out how it happened but promised to reinstate it.
Yikes! Were you upgraded from DFW-PEK at least? J availability in the new 788 routes must be terrible... only 28 premium seats for such a large cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.