Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by TheSinister
Now showing J7 R7 D7 I7 and is now T-24. Still C0 though.
Originally Posted by cmd320
They'll probably release it around T-4, that's what they've recently been doing on domestic upgrades at least. Still looks really good for upgrades.
The C inventory published on GDS may never change. They may transfer to airport control, and clear upgrades from there- and you will never see C inventory
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
EF showed C7 so I called and got my upgrade confirmed

But wondering why no EF alert was sent to my inbox even when I created an alert for C inventory?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheSinister
EF showed C7 so I called and got my upgrade confirmed

But wondering why no EF alert was sent to my inbox even when I created an alert for C inventory?
Congrats.

EF is not a real time process. The query Sabre when you do a search.

When you set an alert, there is some back end process whereby te content of your altert is run with all the others they have. Daily? Weekly? Every 10 seconds? We dont know. I *think* every query costs them something.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a flight on Sept 10, JFK-SFO and had waitlisted a miles plus co-pay upgrade only to wake up yesterday to a 100hr complimentary upgrade from Y to J. I thought once you request a miles upgrade they pull you off the complimentary upgrade list? I called to see if the return was waitlisted and the agent confirmed it was. Has anyone else experienced this? Not complaining by any means, just perplexed.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I have a flight on Sept 10, JFK-SFO and had waitlisted a miles plus co-pay upgrade only to wake up yesterday to a 100hr complimentary upgrade from Y to J. I thought once you request a miles upgrade they pull you off the complimentary upgrade list? I called to see if the return was waitlisted and the agent confirmed it was. Has anyone else experienced this? Not complaining by any means, just perplexed.
I have not experienced that as I have never been waitlisted for a purely domestic miles+copay or SWU upgrade. However it does seem strange that they would clear X upgrades 3 days in advance when the flight was A0.

These days the EXP complimentary upgrades are requested automatically, so a subsequent miles+copay upgrade request was just in addition to that, not in place of it. I don't know that there is a specific system limitation on having both requests in (apparently there is not), but there are reports of some agents refusing to put in a complimentary upgrade request in if there is already a request for a SWU/miles+copay upgrade.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just had a new experience. 3 seats showed for sale in F about 30 minutes until boarding. I was number 4 on the list so I figured Oh well not this time. Gate agent comes on board and upgrades number 5 from the list. Totally skipped over me... I am ex Plat. App showed a check mark next to number 5. Why would I get skipped over? AA flight 1194 dfw to San we are about to push.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
This EXPlat recently set out to fly DCA-JFK-FCO (9-1), with DCA-JFK on Eagle and a SWU requested on JFK-FCO.

There was a cascading delay at DCA: after the inbound arrived over an hour late, there was a mx problem with the ER4, but the GA boarded us on the bus anyway. When the bus reached the ER4, the captain told the bus driver we couldn't board because the mx problem meant no a/c on board. So while we were sitting on the bus for 20 minutes next to the broken ER4, I called reservations and told them I didn't think I'd make the connection to JFK-FCO. I suggested they put me on the later JFK-MAD-FCO, which they very competently did. Just by coincidence, JFK-MAD was C7 at the time, and my SWU cleared.

Coming home MXP-MIA-DCA on 9-8, I had a somewhat bizarre upgrade experience: My SWU cleared at T-24 for MXP-MIA (requested on May 30), but my complimentary upgrade still had not cleared for MIA-DCA. When I landed at MIA, I still hadn't cleared, and checked the 4-hour upgrade standby list to see whether I'd cleared. I hadn't, but I also found that my name was not on the standby list! I spoke with a phone agent and two AAdmirals Club agents, and they weren't sure why I wasn't on the list - somehow the check-in agent at MXP had taken me off or something. Anyway, by that point F was full, and I was stuck in Y. This was my first time not clearing by T-24... did I need to do something differently?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:44 am

Ticket 6/30 for December GRU-MIA upgrade to J. I'm a gold using miles+copay.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
somehow the check-in agent at MXP had taken me off or something.

did I need to do something differently?
Dont trust AA agents not to mess up?

In hindsight, ask the agent (or a different agent) to check the upgrade status for downstream connections??
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Expresswayvisual
Which GRU-MIA? If the day flight your odds are pretty good IMO (with the usual day of week/etc caveats) -- I've seen C wide open for that plenty of times. Night flights are harder (which makes sense since the bed is much more valuable for those)
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:04 pm

You were cleared that early or is this a question ?

Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by tr561
You were cleared that early or is this a question ?
My companion and I were cleared.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
My companion and I were cleared.
Wow, thats impressive! I am booked for a Oct flight MIA-GIG and haven't been cleared yet. Ticketed and waitlisted months ago.

Wonder if it has to do with equipment.... what aircraft is in use for MIA-GRU? It might be a coincidence but upgrades on old 777s seem to clear sooner and easier in my observation.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
LHR-LAX-HNL

I am booked on AA109 from Heathrow on 7Nov and going straight through to HNL. No SWU's left to use and was thinking about a miles/cash upgrade from Y to J.

I have a couple of questions. Obviously are my chances good for this flight? Also is there a danger of being upgraded LAX-HNL only and losing my miles/cash? I am EXP so have a complimentary upgrade listed already.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by LSunbury
I am booked on AA109 from Heathrow on 7Nov and going straight through to HNL. No SWU's left to use and was thinking about a miles/cash upgrade from Y to J.

I have a couple of questions. Obviously are my chances good for this flight? Also is there a danger of being upgraded LAX-HNL only and losing my miles/cash? I am EXP so have a complimentary upgrade listed already.

Thanks for any advice.
Right now the J is I7 and 13/60 seats open for LHR-LAX. I'd say it's a 50-50 shot for an upgrade right now.

You can make the request and tell the agent to only apply upgrade if both sectors clear. Ofcourse, LHR-LAX may not clear until few hrs before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.