Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Missed SMF-DFW as EP/CK w/ request at 3 months out (!)

Also misconnected onto DFW-CLT due to the computer glitch, no upgrade. (My upgraded seat flew without me, they couldnt protect.)

Also no upgrade DFW-MTY. Something was hosed with the upgrade processing. record showed me requested 6/28, but was not on the list at the gate. PITA

4th this year
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Silver
Planning to waitlist SWU Y->J from DFW to LHR (Friday) and LHR-LAX (Sunday) for next Feb on the 77W. What are the chances to clear as an EXP? I know Feb could be a battle field due to SWU expiration deadline. Are these days tight on upgrades on these routes ?MCE shows 2-3 seats taken
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
My upgrade on Friday morning's AA 2337 ORD-DFW cleared at the window. Very pleasant surprise on a morning hub-to-hub flight!

Email came through at 04:42 for this 08:35 departure.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:50 am

9:20pm flight tomorrow...

22 seats available last night according to EF, went to 16 this overnight, but I noticed 6 opened up in MCE mini cabin, so I guess that was them. Still 36 hours out so I guess a tier cleared at 48 hours. Hopefully i'm the next to go over the next several hours.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by seshrama2
Planning to waitlist SWU Y->J from DFW to LHR (Friday) and LHR-LAX (Sunday) for next Feb on the 77W. What are the chances to clear as an EXP? I know Feb could be a battle field due to SWU expiration deadline. Are these days tight on upgrades on these routes ?MCE shows 2-3 seats taken

Pretty good odds IMO. MCE is empty, which means you should be at the top. 4-5 months in advance as well. Fri and Sun are busy days, and business travel heavy. End of the work week and beginning of the work we respectively. But given 5 months lead Id go for it. Get on the waitlist ASAP!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Question

How's upgrading with eVIPs as an EXP these days? How is it on popular routes like LAX-LHR, LAX-NRT (used to be relatively easy), DFW-HKG, etc?

I heard AA no longer releases C on these routes until a couple of days before departure? Anyone has any success getting hidden Cs and clearing into J far in advance?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Missed DFW-AUS as a thru pax requesting a few days shy of one month out. Second upgrade ever missed as an EXP (first was JFK-MIA).

At least there was a full beverage service on the quick flight down to Austin!
FYI, there is no longer a -T (thru passenger) designation for upgrades, so upgrade list order within a status group for non-full fare pax is based purely on the original UPG request timestamp.

Link to the original FlyerTalk wiki:
AA discontinues connection/through priority on upgrades 27 Mar 2015
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:46 pm

I'm in!

Kept hitting refresh at 7:20pm (flight tomorrow night at 9:20pm, so 26 hours exactly) and 7 C's showed up on EF at exactly 7:20pm. 16 vacant seats on display on the EF map.

I didn't wait for my wait list to clear and called AA immediately. Got a nice lady by 7:25pm who said nothing had opened up yet across the board, but she was very nice, held with me and made it happen for me over the phone in 10 minutes.

Bottom line, once you see the 7 pop up, you are nuts to wait for your named to be cleared. Call asap and get it done (edit for sometimes i guess)....

Oh, I still haven't received my alert from EF that C has opened on this flight.

Last edited by tr561; Sep 29, 2015 at 7:54 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tr561
Bottom line, once you see the 7 pop up, you are nuts to wait for your named to be cleared. Call asap and get it done....
This is actually not true. Quoting myself:

Originally Posted by grrizzli
DFW-PEK was flown in late July on Thursday. The upgrade cleared a couple of hours before the departure, even though EF was showing J7/C7 for at least 30 hours before that. At the end the J cabin was full of non-revs.
When I saw C7 on EF I called the EXP desk right away, they said no upgrades were available. Check-in agents and Admirals Club agents couldn't clear my upgrade for several hours either -- I had the privilege of being delayed 7 hours in DFW.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:50 pm

I'm not saying it works 100% of the time, but it's crazy not to pick up the phone when you see it finally open up rather than waiting for an email saying you cleared. I'm confident i would still be sitting here waiting, and probably at the gate too, had i not called and had a nice convo with the agent.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by grrizzli
This is actually not true. Quoting myself:

When I saw C7 on EF I called the EXP desk right away, they said no upgrades were available. Check-in agents and Admirals Club agents couldn't clear my upgrade for several hours either -- I had the privilege of being delayed 7 hours in DFW.
It has worked every time for me (I'm talking dozens of times, not isolated incidents). Sometimes one has to HUCA. Persistence pays.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tr561
I'm not saying it works 100% of the time, but it's crazy not to pick up the phone when you see it finally open up rather than waiting for an email saying you cleared. I'm confident i would still be sitting here waiting, and probably at the gate too, had i not called and had a nice convo with the agent.
Works for me each time EF shows C/A inventory.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Decreasing upgrade success

EXP here and have been experiencing a decrease in my success rate in clearing upgrades before day of flight... and a couple fails even then. Guess I should have stayed off the more popular routes.

Still running 90%+ for the year.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TritonFlyer
EXP here and have been experiencing a decrease in my success rate in clearing upgrades before day of flight... and a couple fails even then. Guess I should have stayed off the more popular routes.

Still running 90%+ for the year.
More elites + fewer airlines + more FCM = fewer upgrades. Welcome to an oligopoly of airlines. It sucks. You're gonna love it!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Missed my first domestic AA upgrade in over a year, and first in nearly two years when not traveling with a companion. SNA-DFW late afternoon flight, booked that morning. I never had a chance. I was at the end of a waitlist of at least 13 EXPs with F booked full long before departure.

However, I had a nice consolation prize: 15A in the 738 exit row, with 15B ending up empty due to a no-show. Tasty and fresh Asian chicken salad from the BOB menu and red wine, both comped. No PDB or table linens but I was unlikely to get those in F either.

Interestingly when I booked there were still two F seats open and I was offered to guarantee my upgrade for ~$150. I declined, but I suspect that's how at least one of the open seats got filled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.