Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:22 am

Would like some help if possible. Any reason why i would have and "additional fare collection" ($107, me and $88 wife) in addition to a miles, plus $350 co-pay for my return tickets, but just a straight up $350 for the outgoing ?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by tr561
Would like some help if possible. Any reason why i would have and "additional fare collection" ($107, me and $88 wife) in addition to a miles, plus $350 co-pay for my return tickets, but just a straight up $350 for the outgoing ?
Are you departing from the UK? Was your original ticket purchased in economy?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:32 am

Miami to LHR and LHR back to Miami. Original ticket was purchased in Economy and soon after I bought MCE's. Upgraded to business 25 hours out for $350.

Originally Posted by tom911
Are you departing from the UK? Was your original ticket purchased in economy?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by tr561
Miami to LHR and LHR back to Miami. Original ticket was purchased in Economy and soon after I bought MCE's. Upgraded to business 25 hours out for $350.
Could be the increase in UK APD departure tax due to the change from Y to J cabin.

Although I would have expected a symmetric fee (same for wife as you)

(Any chance you fly INTO LHR within 24 hours of the planned departure??)
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:11 pm

No, she had a 7 day stay in London and I was 9 days. Had no idea I was looking at an additional $100 after the $350, but that's my fault i guess. It seems a little absurd, but oh well.

Additional Fare Collection 108.50

Additional Fare Collection 51.40

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Could be the increase in UK APD departure tax due to the change from Y to J cabin.

Although I would have expected a symmetric fee (same for wife as you)

(Any chance you fly INTO LHR within 24 hours of the planned departure??)
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I am traveling today (10/12/15) from DFW-SFO on AA37. When the upgrade list became available for viewing, I was #1 on the list up until about 30 minutes ago. I took a screenshot of the list on my phone which turns out came in handy because the people (presumably a couple) who were originally listed as #4/5 jumped up to #1/2, knocking me back to #3. I realize the list changes all the time, but what can cause someone's position on the upgrade list to change on the day of travel? I was always under the impression it was status and then time of upgrade request which obviously can't change on the day of travel, so I'm just curious what else could factor in here? I spoke to someone at the EXP line who was clueless and the GA who was apologetic but unable to figure out the reason for the change. Not planning to pursue it any further, but just kind of irritating especially since I have a screenshot of them at a lower position.

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I am traveling today (10/12/15) from DFW-SFO on AA37. When the upgrade list became available for viewing, I was #1 on the list up until about 30 minutes ago. I took a screenshot of the list on my phone which turns out came in handy because the people (presumably a couple) who were originally listed as #4/5 jumped up to #1/2, knocking me back to #3. I realize the list changes all the time, but what can cause someone's position on the upgrade list to change on the day of travel?
Maybe they used SWUs or miles+copay.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:31 pm

I've booked 4 separate mileage/co-pay upgrades in the last week (albeit overseas), everyone of them has worked flawlessly by calling at 5 min till 26 or 25 hours out and letting the reservations person hit refresh. Two of these were when only 6 or 8 seats were showing. I'm pretty sure waiting for that waitlist to happen would have produced a strikeout...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
PEK-ORD

I'm pretty sure this flight on 10/14 will be good for upgrades. 36 hours out there hadn't been 1 J seat purchased. 19 hours out there is only one seat taken on the seat map (mine :-) )

I called at about 36 hours to ask about the upgrade and the agent attempted to push it through given not one seat in business had been taken yet but they said SOP for this situation was at 24 hours.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've been dismayed (because I was spoiled) at how the upgrade percentages for westbound ORD-PHX/LAX/SFO has dropped dramatically over the last three months. I went from having a 95% upgrade percentage nationwide and 100% on those routes for the first half of 2015, to having a 33% upgrade percentage westbound since August 1.

Conversely, there have been a few upgrades that I thought for sure I wasn't going to get that were actually easy at T-4 - these were all on flights that were oversold in coach and thus they were limiting any kind of revenue sales, or flights where there was a risk of weather-related IRROPS earlier in the day.

I'm probably going to miss by 2 on ORD-PHX today (F0Y4). I looked at a week from today, already down to F5 out of 16. I looked 2 weeks out, the four midday flights (9:45am through 3:30pm) are all down to F3 to F5.

Flying home, I don't run into this, because I fly on the last non-redeye that doesn't have connecting traffic beyond Chicago.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
I'm looking to book a flight to LHR via LAX about a month out, and I could use some advice on maximizing the likelihood of SWUs clearing for the international segments. I am traveling with a friend; I'm EXP, he's Gold.

Ideal outbound travel date: Sat, Nov 7th (can wiggle to Thu, Fri, or Sun)

Ideal return travel date: Sun, Nov 15th (can wiggle to Sat or Mon, maybe Tue)

What are the most likely days to clear LAX/LHR? How about LHR/LAX?

Are the earlier (108/109) or later (136/135) flights more likely to clear? (Is one better one direction and the other the other direction?)

I know requesting the upgrade less than a month out's much less than ideal, which is why I'm very interested in choosing flights with the highest likelihood of success.

Thanks in advance!
OM
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Maybe they used SWUs or miles+copay.
That should not move them on the PALL list
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ottermatic
I'm looking to book a flight to LHR via LAX about a month out, and I could use some advice on maximizing the likelihood of SWUs clearing for the international segments. I am traveling with a friend; I'm EXP, he's Gold.

Ideal outbound travel date: Sat, Nov 7th (can wiggle to Thu, Fri, or Sun)

Ideal return travel date: Sun, Nov 15th (can wiggle to Sat or Mon, maybe Tue)

What are the most likely days to clear LAX/LHR? How about LHR/LAX?

Are the earlier (108/109) or later (136/135) flights more likely to clear? (Is one better one direction and the other the other direction?)

I know requesting the upgrade less than a month out's much less than ideal, which is why I'm very interested in choosing flights with the highest likelihood of success.

Thanks in advance!
OM
Look at each day and each flight to see what loads are like as well as MCE.

IMO Thurs and Tues will be lowest. Friday LAX-LHR seems the next choice I think.

Early vs later- I can run a lot of scenarios...not sure which is in your favor.

I just looked at Saturday. AA136 looks very empty: 31 open J seats; still selling 6 I class (cheapest J seats) and only 7 people seated in MCE. surpsing 25 days out.

Same day AA108 has 16 people in MCE and 26 open J. No I inventory

On Friday, 135 has 13 in MCE; 37 open J and selling I3
108 has 12 in MCE; 23 open J and no I

AA136 Sat for me.

Looking at the return... Sunday looks much fuller on both flights as compared to Monday. Monday both show over 30 open J seats, but both times have more MCE load. Like 12 on 109 and 18 on 136 taken. Id go for the earlier one on monday. (Didnt look at tuesday)

HTH
YMMV
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Quick Vote

EXP: F2A1, SFO-ORD, Sat. morning departure in two weeks, ticket purchased 3+ months in advance...
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
EXP: F2A1, SFO-ORD, Sat. morning departure in two weeks, ticket purchased 3+ months in advance...
Man thats just rough.

Are F fares that cheap on midcons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.