Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by griftsno1capper
Thank you in advance if you respond with words of wisdom that I might learn from...

I booked a flight from PHL-ORD-PEK and return on October 11-16th. Unfortunately, the flights on the 11th were way too expensive to pay for business. I had 8 SWU so I put in for one back in August, thinking there was a good chance it might clear. I've never used one before and now I remember why...

As of today, business is booked full. However, there are some seats in 1st open so they may pull some business class up and then is my question. Being ExPlat and putting in months ago, what is the chance this thing will clear? I should have known better and flew EWR to PEK on UA where I always can upgrade but I figured I had a good chance of an upgrade.

American's 777-200 is tired, economy is unbearable for 13 hours. Any thoughts if it will clear or if I'm just dreaming?

Thanks,

G1C
There is an existing thread on this, I expect this to be moved over...

When did you request the upgrade? only in August is two months ago. 3-5 months is way better. Importantly how many seats in MCE were occupied when you booked? This is 'your competition': namely EXPs

Finally, just because the flight is J0 dont assume it is full in biz. That flight looks WAY oversold in Y, they may have pulled J seats out of inventory to allow upgrades. but they dont process upgrades yet as that would then allow the computer to further oversell Y.

They will probably fill up F. If I was in paid J i would almost certainly burn an SWU on that plane.... one thought, day of: you could ask an AAngel. "If I give someone an SWU from J to F can I use a second SWU to get into that J seat?" Its been done.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
This is up to you. Go to the airport early, once you get to the airport, if nothing has cleared, and you are #1 or 2 on upgrade list I and Bus is full, I suggest as follow. Go to the counter, preferably AC desk and sponsor to upgrade someone from Business to First via SWU. As long as Business is full, you will not get the upgrade. This is probably the only way. A good agent will see who is on paid Business, will page/call that person and see if they don't mind being upgraded to first, (who wouldn't). Will cost you 1 or 2 extra SWU. Your call.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they are going to expire in Feb anyways, go for it. 2 SWU's for that flight is worth it.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
If they are going to expire in Feb anyways, go for it. 2 SWU's for that flight is worth it.
Most people decide that flight is worth TWO SWUs after approximately 8.5 hours sitting in Y.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:55 pm

Checking C availability in expert flyer

For checking availability, should one check each leg individually (or) use the option where you can put a Starting and Ending point and put a connection in between?

I'm asking because one leg of my SWU request shows C availability, while the other leg shows no availability ..

Will the available leg clear soon (or) will both legs need to have C available for SWU to clear in advance?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Love_AA
Will the available leg clear soon (or) will both legs need to have C available for SWU to clear in advance?
My own recent experience had been that my long haul got cleared and my shorter domestic flight(s) never did get cleared. This had happened to me 3x this year (on 3 separate itins)!

The last time this happened (domestic leg did not clear), I checked with the gate agent because I didn't see my name on the UG list. She checkekd and then minutes later I saw I was on #1 (I ticketed 9 months ago). Alas, business/first was already full. No one was UG'd at the gate.

In restropect, I should have called after I saw 1 leg was cleared. Oh well!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Love_AA
For checking availability, should one check each leg individually (or) use the option where you can put a Starting and Ending point and put a connection in between?

I'm asking because one leg of my SWU request shows C availability, while the other leg shows no availability ..

They will clear any individual leg that has upgrade availability (C for business, A for domestic F), but they will not automatically clear anything until the longer overseas leg becomes available. If, at that time, any domestic connecting legs are also available they will clear those too. Otherwise they will clear the overseas leg and continue to waitlist the domestic leg. You can also call in advance to ask them to clear the domestic leg and continue to waitlist the overseas leg. I have done this a couple of times when my domestic leg is something relatively long like JFK-AUS, and I'm concerned that it will be full by the time the overseas leg clears, and I am reasonably confident the overseas leg will eventually clear.

That's a long answer to your question. The short answer: no, all segments do not need to be available for any one segment to clear.

Last edited by Stripe; Oct 10, 2015 at 9:05 pm
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
3/3 for SWUs this year (but i cheat and only book flights with available upgrade space). 15/21 for all coach flights ive taken, some booked as soon as 3 days before departure. Basically the only time i did not get upgraded was when i was flying with a companion or i was on US metal before the FF merge.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum 2MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, HHonors
Originally Posted by arollins
This is up to you. Go to the airport early, once you get to the airport, if nothing has cleared, and you are #1 or 2 on upgrade list I and Bus is full, I suggest as follow. Go to the counter, preferably AC desk and sponsor to upgrade someone from Business to First via SWU. As long as Business is full, you will not get the upgrade. This is probably the only way. A good agent will see who is on paid Business, will page/call that person and see if they don't mind being upgraded to first, (who wouldn't). Will cost you 1 or 2 extra SWU. Your call.
This is a brilliant strategy for those longer haul flights. Thanks for the advice!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
LAX-GRU, best day of week for upgrades?

I am planning a vacation in the fall 2016 to RIO. I'd like to fly on AA non stop via GRU on AA 216/216 and use system-wide upgrades which I realize are rarely offered.

Anyone familiar with this flight - which days are easiest (if any) for upgrades to clear? Outbound I'd prefer to fly on FRIDAY, and return on SATURDAY. How bad are my chances?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by arollins
Devious and fantastic!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by DaveInSFV
I am planning a vacation in the fall 2016 to RIO. I'd like to fly on AA non stop via GRU on AA 216/216 and use system-wide upgrades which I realize are rarely offered.

Anyone familiar with this flight - which days are easiest (if any) for upgrades to clear? Outbound I'd prefer to fly on FRIDAY, and return on SATURDAY. How bad are my chances?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
I've been rt on this flight twice this year and all 4 flights had a few empty seats in all classes - this was on the 777 though.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
Thanks - with fewer seats on the 787 I am curious how this has changed?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Basically the only time i did not get upgraded was when i was flying with a companion
Out of curiosity, and because I have some companion flights coming up soon, what is your success rate when you were upgrading with a companion?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Most people decide that flight is worth TWO SWUs after approximately 8.5 hours sitting in Y.
I was forced to reconsider the value of the EXP program after three hours sitting on tarmac in PEK in Y, when I was supposed to be upgraded on the PEK-DFW flight according to each and every sign known to the FT regulars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.