Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
When viewing itineary, it is listed as using "Mileage Upgrade" - Requested.

Does that mean using miles or systemwide? I was waitlisted using systemwide, but check-in agent changed it and it bumped me up the list. Is there a different priority list based on instruments used?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Just booked LAX->LHR for the 18th (March) and used miles+copay immediately. Phone agent said not instantly confirmable but business was only (currently) 1/2 full. What do my chances look like?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Probably pretty good. I flew on that same flight this past Monday and half the business cabin was empty.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I am 15/17 so far this year and happy. Next week has me nervous though. LAx-LHR 3/19 looks iffy and BCN/MIA 3/23 looks like doomsday
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by uscjeff
I am 15/17 so far this year and happy. Next week has me nervous though. LAx-LHR 3/19 looks iffy and BCN/MIA 3/23 looks like doomsday
I was originally intending to go on 3/19 but changed to 3/18 after hearing the business class cabin was pretty packed already
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:22 am

Aa186 pek-ord

Any fellow flyers have experience/insight as to SWU clearing for AA186 (PEK-ORD) and/or *average* estimate of time prior to departure that things open up? I know it depends on load of course. Date is 4/4 EF shows J5. outbound looks fine on 3/30.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Tpttraveller
Any fellow flyers have experience/insight as to SWU clearing for AA186 (PEK-ORD) and/or *average* estimate of time prior to departure that things open up? I know it depends on load of course. Date is 4/4 EF shows J5. outbound looks fine on 3/30.
If its already down to J5, I wouldn't count on it clearing (if it clears) any sooner than 24 hrs prior to departure.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Tpttraveller
wow, massive load difference on those two dates. The 4/4 looks really bad. Lots of F space. Your only hope is that you bought the ticket months ago and/or there will be J upgrades to F.

Ive heard of people offering the gate agent 'to upgrade a J pax to F so I can have their J seat'...worth two SWUs for you?

GL
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by danielvdm
I was originally intending to go on 3/19 but changed to 3/18 after hearing the business class cabin was pretty packed already
My upgrade was just confirmed this AM for 3/18 MIA-BCN. 3/18 flight was also sold out in J month ago. Apparently the 3/19 to BCN and your 3/23 flight to MIA are full of people who have been to the huge football match in Barcelona (vs. Madrid) this weekend.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by billgrates3
My upgrade was just confirmed this AM for 3/18 MIA-BCN. 3/18 flight was also sold out in J month ago. Apparently the 3/19 to BCN and your 3/23 flight to MIA are full of people who have been to the huge football match in Barcelona (vs. Madrid) this weekend.
Yeah good point. El Clasico in Barcelona this upcoming Sunday. Should be pretty packed with rich football fans!
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mvedda
I bet it clears on final sweep before t-4. I had an SFO-jfk transcon clear at t-5 last Saturday when there was J7 c6 Friday before midnight.

Cheers.
So for requested domestic upgrades (as a Plat using stickers) is it better to check in at T-24 and be added to the "airport standby list" or wait until later to check in (say T-4)? Or it doesn't matter either way...?

Thanks...
Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by flyer703
So for requested domestic upgrades (as a Plat using stickers) is it better to check in at T-24 and be added to the "airport standby list" or wait until later to check in (say T-4)? Or it doesn't matter either way...?

Thanks...
It doesn't matter.

I have had upgrades clear between T-24 and T-4 after and before check-in. Either way, it would be handled in the "typical" manner and you wouldn't really be on the airport list until T-4.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by TXguy
It doesn't matter.

I have had upgrades clear between T-24 and T-4 after and before check-in. Either way, it would be handled in the "typical" manner and you wouldn't really be on the airport list until T-4.
Slight correction here. The airport list is created when check-in opens at the 24-hrs. mark. We can't see it on the AA app until the 4-hr. mark, but phone agents can see it starting at the 24-hr. mark. Of course, it only reflects those that have checked-in.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by sukn
Slight correction here. The airport list is created when check-in opens at the 24-hrs. mark. We can't see it on the AA app until the 4-hr. mark, but phone agents can see it starting at the 24-hr. mark. Of course, it only reflects those that have checked-in.
Thanks for the correction. However, it is true that the "pre-airport" list is still in existence and people are cleared off that list until T-4, even if they've already checked in. I'm not sure if people are ever cleared off that list after T-4. I've had a decent number right at around T-4:30 or so and none ever between then and the gate, so I'd guess not.

I wonder how this would work for those who had insufficient stickers, since stickers would need to be purchased to be added to the airport list, but not for an upgrade to clear from the "pre-airport" list or at check-in after clearing.

Last edited by TXguy; Mar 15, 2015 at 9:28 pm
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:41 pm

When do miles + copay upgrades usually clear? AA136 is 50% full in J and I requested the upgrade/bought the ticket on Friday. It seems like it should be an easy upgrade, but I'm wondering why it hasn't cleared yet. My SFO->LAX segment cleared this morning (sticker upgrade).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.