Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by tom911
If it's a domestic upgrade, the mobile apps will show the upgrade list about 4 hours out. It is fluid and could change before departure, and, if a 3 class plane, will include upgrades to both business and first. Aside from that, an agent may say it "looks good" but I would not expect them to provide you with an exact place in line.

Tom in Athens
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Not a a time point at which you can do anything about it!

In the weeks and days prior to a flight, even AA agents cannot easily see the list. They are not supposed to share that info with you.

Thanks guys, Was just curious

Last edited by kauppias; Feb 14, 2015 at 1:30 am Reason: Auto correct
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1MM
Originally Posted by larreajoe
Just booked SFO-JFK-MXP-JFK-LAX-SMF last night out 4/8 back 4/18. Called to request miles+copay upgrade (C) and was, of course, waitlisted.

1. EF shows 7s across the board on all flights in all classes.
2. Seat map shows almost 100% open seats in C
3. MCE seats appear relatively open as does Y in general.

I understand they'd rather get 5K/seat rather than the copay amount...but what kind of capacity controls are in place? Anyone have any experience on these routes?

4/8 AA18 SFO-JFK
4/9 AA198 JFK-MXP
4/18 AA199 MXP-JFK, AA133 JFK-LAX, AA2616 LAX-SMF (Eagle/Envoy single cabin)

Interesting development. Happened to be on aa.com and checked our reservation. The itinerary shows the JFL-LAX segment twice. Once chronologically, then again at the end of the itinerary. The last one shows in C but no seat assignments. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Should I assume that means they're protecting two C seats for us in the event the MXP-JFK segment upgrades?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Originally Posted by larreajoe
Interesting development. Happened to be on aa.com and checked our reservation. The itinerary shows the JFL-LAX segment twice. Once chronologically, then again at the end of the itinerary. The last one shows in C but no seat assignments. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Should I assume that means they're protecting two C seats for us in the event the MXP-JFK segment upgrades?
From what I've seen it typically means you've been cleared off the wait-list but haven't been reticketed yet with the updated reservation (with the upgraded segment).

So you should generally count that as an upgrade waiting to happen.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I want to run this scenario by some of our seasoned members. Have you seen the upgrade list gamed? I was #1 on list and remained there. No one else ever showed up ahead of me. EF showed seat 3D open up . I inquired with the gate agent about 3D. I was then told 3D was "broken" and no one would be able to occupy it. As I'm waiting around the gate getting ready to board, I see the same gate agent chatting up another traveler. For all I know this could have been a friend or a colleague. He was not distinguishable as being crew. Either way they seemed to know each other. Just before boarding, he prints out a new boarding pass and hands it to him. Sure enough when I board after FC, he is sitting in 3D. At this point I wasn't going to make a scene since I didn't know the back story, but I felt that this smelled fishy.

I've thought through the possible scenarios but I don't see how this could have been anything else but preferential treatment.

Scenario 1: Full class fare pax. Plausible, but unlikely as the system never updated and showed no one had cleared the upgrade list.

Scenario 2: AA Employee or FA on route to another destination. Again plausible, but my understanding is that in this situation they would of had to bump up a revenue pax from Y and sat the employee in Y.

Scenario 3: AA Employee showing preferential treatment to employee friend or non employee friend and bypassed the upgrade list by showing the seat was faulty on some system.

By the way, when I checked EF prior to take off the seat was showing filled on EF. So at some point the seat went from being empty, to broken, to being filled on EF.

I wrote in about this, and was basically told sorry but not sorry. This was MIA to SFO on a 763. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by lagunas2k
I want to run this scenario by some of our seasoned members. Have you seen the upgrade list gamed? I was #1 on list and remained there. No one else ever showed up ahead of me. EF showed seat 3D open up . I inquired with the gate agent about 3D. I was then told 3D was "broken" and no one would be able to occupy it. As I'm waiting around the gate getting ready to board, I see the same gate agent chatting up another traveler. For all I know this could have been a friend or a colleague. He was not distinguishable as being crew. Either way they seemed to know each other. Just before boarding, he prints out a new boarding pass and hands it to him. Sure enough when I board after FC, he is sitting in 3D. At this point I wasn't going to make a scene since I didn't know the back story, but I felt that this smelled fishy.

I've thought through the possible scenarios but I don't see how this could have been anything else but preferential treatment.

Scenario 1: Full class fare pax. Plausible, but unlikely as the system never updated and showed no one had cleared the upgrade list.

Scenario 2: AA Employee or FA on route to another destination. Again plausible, but my understanding is that in this situation they would of had to bump up a revenue pax from Y and sat the employee in Y.

Scenario 3: AA Employee showing preferential treatment to employee friend or non employee friend and bypassed the upgrade list by showing the seat was faulty on some system.

By the way, when I checked EF prior to take off the seat was showing filled on EF. So at some point the seat went from being empty, to broken, to being filled on EF.

I wrote in about this, and was basically told sorry but not sorry. This was MIA to SFO on a 763. Any thoughts?
Is it possible that a "broken seat" cannot be assigned to a paying passenger, but can be assigned to an AA employee? I don't know how non-rev seat assignment works, but I have read that some senior AA execs and pilots get preferential F/J seating. Whether they get preferential seating ahead of paying passenger waiting for an upgrade, I don't know.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:45 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am relatively new here and in my recent trips I have been flying in paid F or with a companion, so this trip will be the first trip where I am vying for an EXP upgrade.

I am flying PIT-DFW on Thursday on the evening flight. It is currently F5 A2 Y4. MCE is booked solid. I bought my ticket 3 weeks ago.

What are my odds? Normally with UA, if I see F down to 5 or 6 seats, I know my odds are almost non-existent.

I am not off to a good start for EXP upgrades it seems. My return flight on US LAX-PIT on 3/1 is sold out in both cabins.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key
AA 962 GRU>DFW, March 4th
SWU from J to F confirmed yesterday.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I am relatively new here and in my recent trips I have been flying in paid F or with a companion, so this trip will be the first trip where I am vying for an EXP upgrade.

I am flying PIT-DFW on Thursday on the evening flight. It is currently F5 A2 Y4. MCE is booked solid. I bought my ticket 3 weeks ago.

What are my odds? Normally with UA, if I see F down to 5 or 6 seats, I know my odds are almost non-existent.
Is this 1031 on 2/26? If so, its now down to F3 A0. I wouldn't be optimistic but it could happen.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Is this 1031 on 2/26? If so, its now down to F3 A0. I wouldn't be optimistic but it could happen.
Yes. Guess I will go 0/3 on this trip. I couldn't even get a MCE seat on the left side, so 8F it is.

Where is the 90% upgrade that everyone speaks of
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes. Guess I will go 0/3 on this trip. I couldn't even get a MCE seat on the left side, so 8F it is.

Where is the 90% upgrade that everyone speaks of
Late February presents unique upgrade challenges - lots of SWUs to burn and as a result, its often the hardest time for complementary upgrades to clear.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

Just out of curiosity - wife and I are booked on DFW-MAD 2 weeks from now. Requested miles+copay upgrades for us. Still over 20 unassigned seats in J, and MCE is about half full. So I'm assuming if there aren't a lot of late J bookings on this route that we still have a good shot at upgrading?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PLT/1MM
Originally Posted by dp4m
From what I've seen it typically means you've been cleared off the wait-list but haven't been reticketed yet with the updated reservation (with the upgraded segment).

So you should generally count that as an upgrade waiting to happen.
Called last weekend and, yes...upgrade for the JFK-LAX segment cleared and has been confirmed and seats assigned. It took about 45 minutes as each time the agent tried to do something there was a 'glitch' (her words). Now entire itinerary shows as Ticket Pending where before it showed as Ticketed. More than a month out from travel date so not worried about that as I'm hoping other segments will clear upgrade, but assuming that status needs to change back to Ticketed before we fly.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:43 pm

Is there anyway to gauge the odds of the upgrade clearing. One flight just fell under 100 hours and the upgrade hasn't cleared. It is currently F7 A6.

Or is it mostly crapshoot and it clears pretty randomly once inside the 100 hours window?

Just curious so I can temper my expectations going forward. I am not a fan of bulkhead seats, so I try to switch seats as soon as possible if necessary.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've cleared 18 domestic upgrades this year and they've ranged from 100 hours out to 4 hours out. I don't have any foolproof way to predict that I'll clear or when I'll clear. All you can do is keep an eye on F inventory as you get closer to departure and hope those numbers stay high and you'll get the upgrade e-mail.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I've cleared 18 domestic upgrades this year and they've ranged from 100 hour to 4 hours out. I don't have any foolproof way to predict that I'll clear or when I'll clear. All you can do is keep an eye on F inventory as you get closer to departure and hope those numbers stay high and you'll get the upgrade e-mail.
^ thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.